New rod/line wt recommendation

Fuller24

Fuller24

Im looking for recommendations on line wt before i decide on a new rod (leaning towards St. Croix Avid or Orvis Clearwater) but im trying to decide on length and wt. I fish a lot of small mountain streams for wild brookies and browns but i also make approx 6-8 trips to erie for steel every year along with fishing bigger PA streams also. I mainly fish nymphs on idicator tandem rigs but also fish streamers and dries in that order. Should i be looking at 5 wt or 6? and what length 8'-9'?? Any help is appreciated

IMO, you need 2 rods. There is no rod available that will do small mountain streams AND steelhead together. I'd suggest a 7-8ft 2-3wt rod for the brookies and a 9-10ft 6 or 7wt for the steel. If you get something in between it will do neither very well. The 2 things you're after are too drasticly different to cover with 1 rod.

That said, once you decide what size rod you want, go cast them. You'll make your decision after you have them in your hand.

The more i looked around thats the conclusion i came to also.. my 9' 5wt handled steelhead well but on a few fish i had to tire them out way more than i wouldve liked, probably going to get a 9' 6wt first then since march will be full of steelhead trips and april will be on the branches of sinnemahoning

I've used a 7 or 8wt up in Erie since I started. Just started using a 10 ft rod this year and it makes a big difference. You can reach farther on your nymphing and can toss some mends easier. Maybe look at a 7wt that will handle the steel, but also be a good rod for bass in lakes and larger rivers.

Definitely need 2 rods.

For mountain stream fishing I recommend either a 7 1/2 ft or 7'9" rod for a 4 wt line.

For steelhead, use whatever the steelie addicts recommend!

I'm thinking a 9' 6wt clearwater for steel and the larger trout streams I fish, any other suggestions?

If you aren't going to be doing a ton of steelheading, and only fishing the PA tribs, yeah the 9ft 6wt will do. I've used a 9ft 6 on the PA tribs as well as some bigger rivers in Ohio and caught fish. It's not ideal, but it works. And it's good for the larger trout streams too especially if you're throwing streamers.

If you only own a 5wt so far I'd go with a 7wt. It give you bit more difersification and be able to tell more of a difference between the 2 rods. A 7wt is a pretty good bass rod too.

I'm stuck between a 6 or 7wt. I'm almost leaning towards a 7wt and wait till April ish to get a nice 4wt.. I just dont know how good a 4wt would be for nyphing in driftwood

Back