New reel for Sage VT2???

O

Oilman

I am looking for a new reel for a Sage VT2 9' 5wt that i just got. I was thinking about the Ross evolution. Anybody have any experience with that reel. Cabelas has it on sale for $205 which is the price range that I am looking for. Any other reels I should look at in that range?

I don't have one, but I looked at the Evolution. That's a sweet reel, very well machined, light and on sale is even better! Ross makes great products. I can't imagine that you'd be unhappy with it, if for whatever reason you were, I'm sure you'd have no problems unloading it in the swap forum here. Why not go to a local fly shop with your rod and check out which reel balances out your rod the best? They may even match a closeout price if they don't have them on closeout already.

Like mentioned, pick the reel that best balances the rod. I'm of the opinion that spending more than $100 on a trout reel is absurd if you're just concerned with performance, so I would say pick the best looking one that balances your rod.

IMO Sage 505 or 506

Joe E

i have a Sage Flight 8'6" 5wt and i am using an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. i cant imagine a better reel.. it's great. i'd highly recommend it. the only complaint is the spools are so expensive.

I have an Evolution that I have been using for 3 years(approx), I did not get it on sale and it is still worth every penny.

Back