New fly shop opening in the Lehigh Valley

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Here is a link to the website of new fly shop opening in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown). It looks to be an Orvis shop. Tough time to open such a business, but good luck to them.

http://www.asportinglifestyle.com/Information.html

I know the one in Downingtown. I have to say though, the employees really didn't know as much as I would've expected and I was disapointed with their tying selection overall. I guess some of the Orvis stores are more like clothing stores. They had mostly dry fly hooks.....Where is a good dry fly stream near there???? They really don't target the audience too well IMHO.

And let's face it, Orvis isn't just any fly fishing line either. While I own a few Orvis products (vest, wading shoest, etc.), most of my equipment is an amalgamation of more inexpensive items (White River, Cabela's, etc.). I'll admit that the "no hassle" warranty of Orvis products is nice, but in this tight economy buying "top shelf" is probably out-of-the-picture for a good number of fly fishermen. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

With the proliferation of online commerce, running a retail outlet has to be difficult...

wgmiller wrote:
And let's face it, Orvis isn't just any fly fishing line either. While I own a few Orvis products (vest, wading shoest, etc.), most of my equipment is an amalgamation of more inexpensive items (White River, Cabela's, etc.). I'll admit that the "no hassle" warranty of Orvis products is nice, but in this tight economy buying "top shelf" is probably out-of-the-picture for a good number of fly fishermen. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

With the proliferation of online commerce, running a retail outlet has to be difficult...

You'll be hard pressed to find a local shop that isn't a carrier for a high end manufacturer. Orvis is on the lower end of the spectrum of higher end companies, so you might be surprised at the values you could find at a shop like this. Fly shops are always expensive anyway.

Good luck to these guys. I know I've cut back on what I'm spending at the fly shops lately.

Stopped in there two weeks ago. It's not just a fly shop, and it's not just an Orvis shop. The place is pretty big, with the bulk of the floor space devoted to clothing. Lots of Patagonia stuff ! :-D

The staff was friendly, and pretty knowledgeable - they're just getting organized, and don't have a full selection of tying stuff.

Looks promising so far...

jayL wrote:
wgmiller wrote:

You'll be hard pressed to find a local shop that isn't a carrier for a high end manufacturer. Orvis is on the lower end of the spectrum of higher end companies, so you might be surprised at the values you could find at a shop like this. Fly shops are always expensive anyway.

Good luck to these guys. I know I've cut back on what I'm spending at the fly shops lately.

Good Luck to who!!!!! They are a hoyty Toyty manufacturer catering to the guy who is willing to spend $100 on a F$$kin dog bed! Do dogs need a dog bed?????????????????????????......for over a hundred bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

I hope they go under on that note.

JustFish wrote:
I hope they go under on that note.

Why? Because they've found a market? People are willing to pay it. Unless they lock the dog bed market down at $100 when you need one cheaper, I see no reason for any hard feelings about it. I sure as hell can't afford that, but more power to the people that can and will.

I still say good luck to them. More fly shops = more competition = better for us. Who likes driving over an hour to get to a decent shop for a wheel of shot? I own an orvis rod, as well as some other little bits of gear. No complaints with it. I kept my eyes open for a deal for the rod, and found their prices to be industry standard for the rest of the stuff. I think you should wait and see what this place carries before passing judgment. I've seen a few orvis shops that carried none of the dog bed or cashmere sweater nonsense.

Shawn, I suggest you stay away from the king of prussia mall. It might give you an aneurysm. :lol:

With friends like these who needs enemies.

I would always want fly shop close by. Maybe I don't buy so much but sure there would be several times when I would.

Good luck to them.

NOOOOO a fly shop in minutes of my house sounds like future trouble for me! hehehe

FYI, just I checked the Orvis website to be sure, the new shop is an independently owned shop that's an authorized Orvis dealer. In other words, Orvis does not own the shop.

Unfortunately I personally think the big three retailers are probably both the best and worst thing that ever happened to fly fishing.

It is the best thing that has happened because it has made fly fishing more visible, accessible and less intimidating to many people who might not otherwise have gotten into fly fishing. 35 years ago fly fishing was still like some secret, snobbish, elite society practiced by a select few.

It is the worst thing because for the most part, their employees are completely clueless. They aren’t trained in helping people purchase the right equipment for their budget and needs but rather professional sales people trained to sell you whatever they think it is that you’re willing to buy even if that something is a 10 foot, 8 weight super fast action rod for dry fly spring creek fishing or a 7.5 foot, 3 weight for fishing the Delaware.

And these sales people are also trained to convince many that the more expensive rod/reel combo they get the better caster and fisherman they will be but the truth is they’d be better off buying cheaper gear, saving $200, and investing the $200 on casting lessons. Oh, but the big retailers don’t sell casting lessons so these big retailers feed on the fact that most fly fisherman believe that every problem they have can be corrected by simply buying the most expensive equipment out there.

That’s my personal issue with the big three retailers - they aren’t true fly shops selling a service that will help you they are retailers simply taking your money. And most people have never visited a good, knowledgeable mom and pop fly shop to really see the difference. Walk into one of the big three and ask them if they can show you how to spin deer hair. I’ll bet they won’t but most good mom and pop stores will gladly show you how to spin deer hair.

The next worst thing to happen to fly fishing is on line discount shops. Everybody loves to save a buck or two but it upsetting when I see someone walk into the local fly shop wanting to buy a new rod. The owner spends 1+ hour of time with the person giving them a free casting lesson, rigging multiple rods, etc., so they can determine what rod is best suited for their needs and after all is said and done, the customer leaves and buys the rod over the internet because he can save $5. And when the customer slams the door on the tip, he brings the rod back to the local fly shop wanting them to handle the lifetime warranty service.

The big retailers have their place but if you can find a local, knowledgeable fly shop, please support them. They can help you with knots, equipment selection, fly tying techniques, casting techniques, local conditions, local tips and tricks, etc. You will never get that from the big retailers or on line discount shops.

afishinado wrote:
FYI, just I checked the Orvis website to be sure, the new shop is an independently owned shop that's an authorized Orvis dealer. In other words, Orvis does not own the shop.

Well, on that note I take back what I said. I didn't know they were a franchise.

Guys,
Why am I seeing that some of you think that fly shops are too expensive? I have said this in the past and I will say it again. It is not true!

Compare apples to apples and you will see what I mean. We have all price ranges of stuff and a price guarantee!

There is something to be said about loyalty and forming relationships with the specialty store. Form a good relationship and they will help you out and bend over backwards for you.

We have been Orvis dealers for many years. Bashing Orvis for selling dog beds is not very nice. Hey hats off to them, they know how to make money.

Orvis dealers like ourselves pick the best products they make and sell them in our stores. Orvis does have some nice products and at great prices.

Independent stores cherry pick the finest products at the best prices and do all the leg work for you. Ask questions and you will be pleasantly suprised.

It doesn't make sense to drive a long way to Cab???? to save 5 dollars on inferior brand items.

Go to your PA Fly Fishing Pro Shops!
You will have the edge!

Good Fishing!

Nick DelleDonne
The Evening Rise Outfitters
Lancaster, PA

I am going to have to stop by there one day on my way home from work. There are a few items that I am looking for and if I can help out a local fly fishing shop that is great! I wish them the best of luck especially in the state the economy is in right now.

Oh, another new fly shop in the lehigh valley? When I was there, the Orvis shop was open in the Bethlehem Commons. Would have helped if they had some more focus on flyfishing and less interest in being a boutique shop. (I swear, some places look more like display windows at an old department store. All hat, no cow)

And now another one? Well, really, with Rod's little spring cellar shop and Nestor's as much of a secondary consideration as it is, the place could USE a serious fly shop. Heck, it has GREAT wild trout fishing all around the place (I joke that I earned a Master's degree at Lehigh in Chemistry and a Ph.D. in fly fishing).

It's surrounded by mediocre fly shops. (sorry to all) If they are real, know their SHIZZLE, have a lot of outreach and have people who are friendly, they may do OK. Also, don't get provincial. Include the Del. smallie fishing and the Susquehanna and Sandy Hook NJ saltwater along with all, I mean ALL the L.V. trout streams (except C.C.) Like the Little Lehigh is all there is? 1/2 a mile of stocked fish sipping midges? If they play their cards right, they could be the authoritative shop in a very good FFing region.

Syl

Syl - Things have changed a bit.

Old Lehigh Outfitters (Bethlehem Commons) - gone.

Nestor's - fly shop is gone. They got rid of the one in Whitehall first, then Quakertown as well. They're still in business, but no fishing stuff.

Even Lehigh River Bait & Bow closed.

Pro-Am Fishing Shop - gone.

Angler's Paradise in Whitehall - gone.

There an old saying that "The best way to make a small fortune by running a fly shop is to start with a large fortune." At least someone's trying to make a go of it.

If a stores staff treat you well and you like the products then shop there. I shop at Orvis, TCO, Gander, Cabelas and I got a present from my Brother that I knew in an instant it was from Ron's Flies by the way it smelled. I love his shop. He doesn't even have internet. If they treat you right shop there. If you don't need an expensive dog bed you really aren't really forced to buy one. In this economy I say the best of luck to anyone starting a business. It beats working for corporate anyday.

I recently went into the Dickson City Orvis up here in NE PA for a few simple tying materials. Less than $15 worth. Haven't spent $50 there in the four years I have lived up here. While on this last visit I asked the owner about local stream access and he immediately yelled over to his worker to mind the store and offered to take me out in his car to show me the local points. That is one Orvis I will be going back to.

Back