New Waders

T

tbear

I'm in the market for new waders and have been considering the waist high (guide pants) style. I have been using breathable chest waders for the last few years and after many patch jobs they still continue to leak. I like them, but find them to big more than I need sometimes and they are a little pricey. I am not looking to spend very much money. I have been contemplating getting waist high neoprene waders for the main reason they are the cheapest I have found. Other than the rubber hip boots I used to use when I was 12 and had to replace every year because they dry rotted. So I guess I am looking for input on:
1.) Neoprene waders (I've never owned a pair)
2.) Waist high. I've never encountered a stream I have waded higher than my mid thighs unless it is summer in which case I have swam through deep holes.

Well, neoprene is good for winter fishing, but anything after mid april they may be too hot.
I prefer breathables becuase in the winter you can layer underneath, and in the summer they aren't a sauna inside.

I have chest wader for the just in case thing; meaning if I have to wade that deep, than I can. However, I don't prefer to wade past my crotch; just don't like it. In the summer, I can remove my straps and attach my blet and now they are waist high.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your price range, so I and others can give you our oppinion on a suitable set of waders.

I have a pair of Cabelas premium dry plus waist high waders that have held up well to moderate use.

As for neoprene, I have a pair I only wear in January and February. These are chest waders, not because I'm in water that deep but I like the extra protection in case I slip. (I must admit I really bought the neoprenes for launching my boat for early seasons on lakes that pull their docks. I got them before I flyfished and might not replace them in the future.)

I tend to wear waist highs most of the year but do have breathable chest waders for larger streams, like the Lehigh River, and those higher days in spring on medium streams like Penns. With a little layering the breathables work well in winter.

I like my cabela's waders. i think they are the dry plus series (like $135). The shoulder straps come off and they come with a wading belt. they have multiple layers in the knees and come with built in gravel guards. I'm not saying they are the best waders, but for the price and the discounts cabela's sends me, can't beat it.

If only mom and pop fly shops sent out discounts and percentages off via the mail. I have told my local shop, but they feel that its loosing them money. But this is a different story.

I had the Cabelas Breathable Dry-Plus G-II, but they are leaking. I've patched them twice.
I was actually looking at the Cabelas Waist High Neoprene waders for $45.00.
My theory was that they seemed the best for the price. If I was going to spend more I'd look at breathable waders.
I'm just a little hesitant about going from chest to waist high. As I said before, I've never waded very deep but you never know.
I'm not too woried about neoprene beeing too hot. I very rarely wear waders from June to September.

I'm the same as you.
I probably only need waist waders, but ya never know.

Get the LLBean Emerger waist highs....i have had mine for 2yrs. i have climbed over mountains with them and have yet to spring a leak....just my 2 cents

While I can't speak about any particular waist high brands, I can say that anything bought from LL Bean has IMHO opinion the best guarantee out there. It's pretty tough to beat their customer service. That's not to say that you can't get good service in a fly shop or other box stores, but they do guarantee anything they sell for as long as you own it, no questions asked.

I don't know what your price range is but if you want to spend a little actually more than a little but... Wright&McGill make a breathable chest wader they have a sort of ballast system in the knees that actually hold your legs down in fast current. They drain when you step out of the water. You can also kinda convert them to waist highs because they have a fabulous back strap. It might be worth it to check them out. I have had them for 3 or 4 years and they are holding up fine.

....A bad day fishing is better than a good day working!!!

Back