New Sage Rod

V

VTPAangler

Well as the whole fly fishing world knows by now, Sage is discontinuing the Zed Axis and replacing it with a rod called "The One". It's "lighter, faster, stronger, more sensitive" etc, etc.

So who is getting rid of their cheap off-shore junk and replacing it with "The One"? It's hard to keep up with these fly rod manufacturers. VXP, I hardly knew ya. In all seriousness if you've been dying to get a hold of a Zed Axis you can now find them discounted.

http://www.troutsflyfishing.com/blog/article/sage-announces-the-debut-of-the-one-fly-rod/

:roll:

I was wondering about that the other day. Sage is the only major player that has not kicked out the new super ultra light weight rods.

This isn't merely a rod, its a true extension of your arm, man.

Next stop is cybernetic anglers.

cybernetics_cyborgs_9.jpg

I can't wait to cast it. I've been told it's helios light and tcx fast.

Rumour has it that the eye sees the cast it wants to make and is translated to the hand through the rod instantaneously!!1!oneTHEONE!!!@!

Hmmm wonder if the Bean will be carrying "the one". I would like to pick up a 5 wt.

I was waiting for this. Z-axis at 700.00, not quite worth the price. Z-axis at ~500.00, just the right price.

I like Sage and I have a couple of their rods but I won't ever pay full price for one. all of these new rods just seem too "fast" for me. I know that its personal preference but I just like to feel the rod load a little more. The only exception is a stick for bigger species like steelhead. I don't mind those a little faster.

The good thing about these companies coming out with new rods every 6 months is there should be a good bit of discounted stock out there.

I just saw some Z-Axis on line for $349-399. Listed "new with warranty card". Now that's a deal.

wow.... I should start looking around... I love my 5wt. Wouldn't mind another. a 9wt for the salt perhaps...

I'm skeptical about the 349.00 price being really new, unblemished (I could be wrong).

It could be a factory rod or built by the fly shop owner. It didn't say. He's built 3 rods for me and several for jdaddy. We can vouch that they do some nice work. I think I had paid 545 for the z-axis he built for me. $200 off has me thinking of grabbing another.

Discounted so low for a custom (which range between 520-560.00 before) makes sense.
The custom rod builders out there who have a few in inventory can't be happy.

I've often toyed with the idea of buying a custom rod. The uncertainty of repairs made me hesitate.
I almost pulled the trigger on a custom Z about a year ago. I liked the idea that I could select larger guides.

Wayne at Anglers Habitat in Idaho is the man. I got a TCX built, fished it for 3 months, told him it wasn't practical for where I fished. I sent the rod back and he gave me a 100% refund in shop credit! How can you beat that? He moves a ton of stuff on ebay.

For anyone looking at a new z-axis.... here's what I found today:

Sale & Clearance Rods Sale Price

Sage Z-Axis, 390-4, 9ft 3wt, 4 piece, was $690.00 $475
Sage Z-Axis, 590-4, 9ft 5wt, 4 piece, was $695.00 $475
Sage Z-Axis, 990-4, 9ft 9wt, 4 piece, was $695.00 $475
Sage Z-Axis, 590, 9ft 5wt, 2 piece, was $635.00 $425
Sage Z-Axis, 690, 9ft 6wt, 2 piece, was $635.00 $425

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used.htm

Cutting the lawn or fishing? Tough choice.

Back