New Rod 10' or 11'

I

InTheMend

So I have been trying to make up my mind about what new rod to get for nymphing. I am leaning towards the greys stream flex rod and don't know if I should get the 10' 3 or the 10' 4. I have also been considering an 11' rod, but I am thinking 10' more. I fish mostly limestone spring creeks around PA, but also fish out west in eastern wyoming and larger waters all over the place. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I plain on contact nymphing with this rod. Thanks!

InTheMend wrote:
Like I said I plain on contact nymphing with this rod. Thanks!

Definitely get the 10' for a 4WT.

A 5WT would probably be better for out West but I'm old school and used to shorter rods and heavier line weights.

I'd go 4wt with a 10'...it would be very versatile. I built a 10' 3wt and while its a lot of fun it seems a little too light at times.

I have a 10' 4 wt Clearwater and love it! I wanted the extra length for nymphing the Lackawanna when the water is up, but find myself using it on smaller water as well.
I'm a newbie, so take my opinion for what it's worth. That said, I was just at a presentation by George Daniels and he used an 11' + rod and said he frequently uses that length.

My favorite is a 10' 3 wt I overline with a 4 wt line and have a 10' 5 wt when I need a little more distance or a little more weight. The 3 wt poops out when I need more than about 40' distance; 5 wt is a little heavy at times. If you have one rod, many a 4 wt is a compromise. My personal view is that I go two line sizes up when getting a second rod because 1 size isn't that much change.

I like an 11' rod, but it can be two long on many of the forested streams I fish. 11' is better for a wide open stream IMHO.

10'6 3wt, I figure I have to be that guy.

Back