New Orvis store coming to Lancaster

trevor

trevor

It's been made official that there will be a new Orvis store coming to the Rockvale outlets in Lancaster! This is awesome, the area's lacked a fishing store. Bad news is, it's like 5 minute from my house, so I may spend a little excessively.

Any idea when it is scheduled to open?

evening rise was a nice place when it was open

I would suspect that an Orvis Outlet store at the Rockvale Outlets will sell mostly clothing. Highly doubt you'll see a fly fishing inventory.

I've never been in an Orvis store that I liked or felt welcome. THey mostly sell clothes anyway. I'd rather stick to my local FF stores that are friendly and inviting. This is not a knock on Orvis, I do like the company and I do buy thier products.

I concur with moon. For the most part, Orvis stores are all about the clothes. Clerk at the smokey mtn store stared at me blankley when asked about local hatches.

At the mother ship in VT, checkout counter clerk didn't recognize a whip finisher. Maybe he had never used a whip finisher and was surprised anyone would purchase one.

I have felt like a second class citizen at the orvis stores I have visited. Honestly, though, I often feel unwelcome at fly shops-yellowbreeches being the one that first comes to mind. I have completely enjoyed using bass pro shops to get started because I never felt pressure to buy expensive equipment, or to ask dumb questions.

I love archery pro shops and might have to try a few ff shops to find some ghat are more welcoming.

I agree with the thoughts on Orvis store as well. I was never a huge fan of Evening Rise, but did get some good deals & good input. I do miss the convenience of having a store 5 minutes from home! Unfortunately that go-to fly shop has been hard to find here in South Central PA. I do enjoy Bass Pro, but still miss the feel of an independent fly shop. Best shop I've ever come across is Lake Erie Ultimate Angler, every fly shop I go to has to compare to them & there have been very, very few to compare thus far. I miss those guys in Erie, but don't miss the weather! Anyway, will be interesting to see Orvis store when it opens.

The guys that work at the Downington store are pretty helpful. I know the one guy there is a board member. Everyone there has always been helpful and polite. Cant say anything bad about them.

I agree about the downingtown store...I have only been there a couple of times but the guy they had in the ff section knew his stuff....was very helpful

Slate Run is an Orvis store, right? I've NEVER been treated poorly at that store. Same w/ Downingtown. The Evening Rise on the other hand....

Sas,

I'm not dissing Orvis. But just so it's clear. There are fly shops which sale Orvis stuff. These are independent shops which often sale Orvis in addition to other brands.

And then there are Orvis stores. These are franchised chain stores, run by the parent company. Everything inside is Orvis branded. Some have a FF section, some just sale clothes and the like.

I live near the Downingtown store. I'd rather have a full fledged dedicated fly shop, but I can't say anything bad about it, or the people who work there. :) I sometimes go in as a diversion if the wife is in Wegman's or something.

Gotcha. So Slate Run is an "Authorized Orvis Dealer" then.

I've been to two Orvis Stores (not just stores that sell Orvis stuff), Downingtown and Key Largo, and both were absolutely exceptional customer service. I posted a story about my experience with them a while back on here, and I was just so happy with them they have a customer for life now.

Orvis outlet stores generally sell season ending close-outs, overstocked and discontinued items. In other words, they really do not stock regular items. They may or may not have fly-fishing merchandise in the store at any given time.

Evening riise was way overpriced and soo is orvis. Maybe overrated too.

SNP bound wrote:

Evening riise was way overpriced and soo is orvis. Maybe overrated too.

i bet a larege sum of money that you will be in that orvis shop before i get home. (if its open by then) :lol: but yeah, the evening rise was over priced, but i was sad to see them go. Bev was awesome and now i gotta order my tying supplies online or drive all the way to harrisburgh.....lame

I guess we will have to wait and see once the store opens and if it has fly fishing gear, great. There are so many items in our hobby that are over priced so for me I am looking for customer service and friendly help. So if the new Orivs store in rockvale has fly fishing gear I have one more shop to go and check out in the dull winter months when I can't get out fishing.

I have to agree with sipe though, the store at the yellow breeches angler is not customer friendly, the worse fly shop I have ever been in. Slate Run, maybe the best customer service. Bass pro is right up there with Slate Run. Going to Erie again this fall, where is the shop in Erie?

I get a kick out of the people here who say the Evening Rise was over priced. I bet anyone who says or thinks that has never been in business for themselves or had to pay a mortage or lease on store front footage. Don't forget there are a number of fixed costs when owning a business. Property Tax, utilites, insurance, payroll and payroll taxes, association dues to name just a few. They don't have the buying power like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mt. The small stores also have to purchases larger amounts of overhead from the brand name suppliers. I used to live in Hershey and worked in Lancaster and would stop in the Evening Rise once every other week or so and I purchased my first fly rod and reel from them. (Sage Z-Axis) I didnt get a huge discount, but I knew if or when I had a problem they would take care of me. I felt like I received the same customer service there that I would give to one of my customers. Because I felt comfortable with the Evening Rise, it lead me to purchase two more fly rod outfits from a small shop in Syracuse, NY, close to where I live now. I don't expect huge discounts when I shop at a privately owned fly shop, but I do and always get great customer service. I was recently in an Orvis Outlet store in Buffalo, NY and was kinda surprised what they had in stock for FF. They had a lot of expensive clothes for men and women, but also had a nice selection of FF gear. The staff was also nice to talk to and deal with. I can't complain and will probably stop at one again. I don't think you can beat the small privately owned and operated fly shops though, even if you do pay more for the products.

Back