Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Orvis store coming to Lancaster
From Chester County
Orvis outlet stores generally sell season ending close-outs, overstocked and discontinued items. In other words, they really do not stock regular items. They may or may not have fly-fishing merchandise in the store at any given time.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 7:04

Edited by afishinado on 2012/7/21 7:32:59

From South East pa
Evening riise was way overpriced and soo is orvis. Maybe overrated too.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 6:53

From Solanco, PA
Quote:
SNP bound wrote:

Evening riise was way overpriced and soo is orvis. Maybe overrated too.

i bet a larege sum of money that you will be in that orvis shop before i get home. (if its open by then) but yeah, the evening rise was over priced, but i was sad to see them go. Bev was awesome and now i gotta order my tying supplies online or drive all the way to harrisburgh.....lame

Posted on: 2012/7/23 10:09

From Perry County
I guess we will have to wait and see once the store opens and if it has fly fishing gear, great. There are so many items in our hobby that are over priced so for me I am looking for customer service and friendly help. So if the new Orivs store in rockvale has fly fishing gear I have one more shop to go and check out in the dull winter months when I can't get out fishing.

I have to agree with sipe though, the store at the yellow breeches angler is not customer friendly, the worse fly shop I have ever been in. Slate Run, maybe the best customer service. Bass pro is right up there with Slate Run. Going to Erie again this fall, where is the shop in Erie?

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:19

From Central/Upstate New York (Clinton)
I get a kick out of the people here who say the Evening Rise was over priced. I bet anyone who says or thinks that has never been in business for themselves or had to pay a mortage or lease on store front footage. Don't forget there are a number of fixed costs when owning a business. Property Tax, utilites, insurance, payroll and payroll taxes, association dues to name just a few. They don't have the buying power like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mt. The small stores also have to purchases larger amounts of overhead from the brand name suppliers. I used to live in Hershey and worked in Lancaster and would stop in the Evening Rise once every other week or so and I purchased my first fly rod and reel from them. (Sage Z-Axis) I didnt get a huge discount, but I knew if or when I had a problem they would take care of me. I felt like I received the same customer service there that I would give to one of my customers. Because I felt comfortable with the Evening Rise, it lead me to purchase two more fly rod outfits from a small shop in Syracuse, NY, close to where I live now. I don't expect huge discounts when I shop at a privately owned fly shop, but I do and always get great customer service. I was recently in an Orvis Outlet store in Buffalo, NY and was kinda surprised what they had in stock for FF. They had a lot of expensive clothes for men and women, but also had a nice selection of FF gear. The staff was also nice to talk to and deal with. I can't complain and will probably stop at one again. I don't think you can beat the small privately owned and operated fly shops though, even if you do pay more for the products.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:35

From Secane
Thank you PCray for the clarification. I was just going to say there are different stores. My opinion only comes from an actual Orvis store not a store that is an Orvis dealer. My local store here in SE Pa. is The Sporting Gentlemen in Media, who is a Orvis dealer. I know I've said this before but they are in my opinion one of the best local shops with that small FF shop atmosphere. Very helpfull/professional and always will to give out the latest lowdown on the local waters. Like always some topics on this great site can get little sensitive to some. Keep that in mind. Everyone has their own idea of a great FF shop, its all a matter of personal opinion.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 23:44

Those who have been displeased with their treatment at YBO in the past should try it again. It is under new ownership, and the new owner is often on site. A fisherman himself, and a very friendly and accommodating guy.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 6:43

From Berryville Virginia
When Orvis first opened the store in Tysons Corner it was great half of the store was fly fishing and it was loaded. It had a full rod rack (including a full line of their bamboo rods) and any rod you could cast. I stopped going when the fly fishing section was reduced 3/4 in size. But if you wanted to look good they would sell you some high priced pants and shirt, but if you needed emergency fly fishing stuff it may be hit or miss. The same thing happened to LL Bean at the Tysons Corner Mall. I don’t know what they look like now but I’m sure they didn’t expand the fly section.

Joe E

Posted on: 2012/7/24 7:38

From South East pa
I get a kick out of the guys who go into these stores with their blinders on and have no problem paying 2 times as much for something than you should be. Plus the evening rise only catered to those with deep pockets and quite frankly I wouldn't shop there if someone told me I had to. Too bad quiet times closed in quarryville. Too many people worry about what they look like while fishing and think they need the best hat and best nippers and greatest everything and look like an orvis gear rep on the stream with so much bs hanging off if their vests. Fish on yuppies.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 6:46

From Ephrata, PA
That's definitely how I felt about the Evening Rise.

I like Orvis, but I won't pay out the arse for it.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 8:17

From Chester County
Why are many of the FFing shops closing? Why has Orvis, Bean cut down FFing and tying space. Even Cabelas in Hamburg only has a small room in the back of the store dedicated to FFing stuff while the rest of the store filled with clothing and other gear?

There aren't many guys left like Sandy Big Meadows willing to tough it out and sell tippet spools and half a dozen flies to most guys, while most everything else is purchased on-line, at craft stores, or at the big boxers.

That's just the way it is.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 8:48

From MONTCO
My favorite store name, Modells Sporting Goods. Seriously? How much actual sporting goods do they carry?

I've been to two Orvis stores and they have more dog beds and bottles of gormet nuts than they do FF gear. That said, their customer serivce can not be exceeded. Matched perhaps, but I ended up with a store credit and went on spree.

The Orvis performance material shirt I bought was $80 and I would never have taken a chance at that price. But it is an excellent shirt and performed well for me. I have since found similar shirts for less than half that price and am trying those as well.

I wanted more leaders, etc. but they had a small selection.

+1 on the Sporting Gentleman. They have always been great to deal with and I can get there during lunch...like tomorrow!!

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:08

From near Hershey, Pa
I miss the Evening Rise everytime I am in Lancaster.

I don't think that flyfishing should be about what equipment you can afford or whether you are fashionably dressed. Skill and knowledge will make you successful. We all know that most of the gear for sale is more nice to have than necessary.

That aside, I blame marketing for teaching us to expect 20%, 30%, 40%, or more off anything we buy. We ignore that fact that most retail stores set their initial prices high now expecting to drop it to entice buyers into thinking they are getting a bargain.

Flyfishing stores don't follow that model. MSRP is set by the manufacturer to allow the stores to make a decent profit so they can keep their doors open. I expected to pay full MSRP when I shop at fly shops. It is the cost of being able to look at and try things on or try them out as opposed to getting a little better price but buying a "pig-in-a-poke." online.

I suspect that fly shops will be a thing of the past within ten years and we will all be poorer for it. No more classes or even hatch information which, due to the fear of spot burning, is almost gone from this forum, also.

I don't think that Nick and Bev were getting rich running the store or Nick would not have had a full time job in addition to running the store with his wife.

Did not intend to rant, Ha Ha Ha!

Shock

Posted on: 2012/7/27 9:13

From lancaster
shock,

I totally agree with you. I loved that store and they always had what I needed when I needed it. They are still doing guiding trips and casting lessons on the side. I though everyone that worked there was a ton of help when you needed it. People that think they need to get a discount everytime you shop at a store is out of line. The evening rise had everything fly fishing!!! I miss that store being there!

Posted on: 2012/7/27 9:38

From South East pa
I didn't mean to discount but prices were ridiculously hig. Even a guy that used to work there admits that nick overpriced stuff. I guess when you have money you don't have to worry lol

Posted on: 2012/7/27 21:31

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com