Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Offering from TFO

From Southwestern NY
Yeah I have to agree, really pricey for what they are, but if they can actually spec a rods flex to exactily what you want, thats pretty cool...

The big thing im seeing is its only for thier availble blanks now. I would love to see some of thier other rod legnths available as well. Heck id like to get my hands on an old 11' professional wih the switch/regular fighting butt changability...

Posted on: 2013/4/20 10:37

From Erie Co.
I would rather have a Winston gvx for that price point or a mistic. It sounds like a lot of hype to get more revenue from a company that does not have hands on ability to speck out a blank/build a rod that would be epic, think C.F. Burkheimer.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 11:20

Slumdum,

Cts From New Zealand And Gatti From ItalY Make Nice Blanks. The Stuff From Asia Is JuNk Compared To Us Made Blanks. Us Made Are Much More Consistent In Straightness, Action, Length Etc. They Are Produced In Smaller Batches, In House By Highly Skilled Adults. Asian Blanks Are Made In Factories In Large Batches Along With Whatever Else That Factory Manufactures By Unskilled Workers. I Have No Clue What You Mean When You Say Foreign Blanks Consistently Outperform Us Ones. Outperform How? Take A Tour Of Sage, Scott, WinstoN, Tnt, Etc And Take A Look How Blanks Are Made. The AsiAn Blanks Arent Even Close.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 12:31

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
Slumdum,

Cts From New Zealand And Gatti From ItalY Make Nice Blanks. The Stuff From Asia Is JuNk Compared To Us Made Blanks. Us Made Are Much More Consistent In Straightness, Blah, blah blah blah blah....

Bwahahahahhahahahh!

I agree with some of what (I think) you are saying. But honestly, with that horrible grammar, spelling, and typing, I can't take you seriously at all.

And, I think you are talking out of your butt and don't really know much about this topic.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 16:32

From Dauphin PA
Isn't the Hardy Zenith considered to be best performing rod out there? Isn't it also made in Asia?

Posted on: 2013/4/21 21:36

From Dauphin
I'd take a classic Scott g rod over any period. As for Asian sure the price is good but the quality isn't. Sure as hell wouldn't buy anything "lefty kreh" ever again. Respect him, but can't stand the guy. What I really want is a tfo professional with kool looking cork for 600. :)

Posted on: 2013/4/22 9:42

From Upper Bucks
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:
Yeah I have to agree, really pricey for what they are, but if they can actually spec a rods flex to exactily what you want, thats pretty cool...

The big thing im seeing is its only for thier availble blanks now. I would love to see some of thier other rod legnths available as well. Heck id like to get my hands on an old 11' professional wih the switch/regular fighting butt changability...

PacBay makes the Quickline series blanks and they have an 11' 8wt. Unfortunately, it is rated for a SH 8wt, not a TH 8wt. It's an awesome deep wading rod. I just ordered a TH 6wt line to try on it since I have an extra switch handle built for it.

I had 2 of these rods built with REC components for less than 1 the custom TFO's.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:27

From Southwestern NY
I conpletely agree, and it seems that switch rod lineing can go either way as well.. so confusing.

One day sometime here im gonna build me a long 5wt. Just not sure which one yet...

And for the money tfo wants I could have a custom built mieser....

Posted on: 2013/4/22 13:43

From Souderton PA
I think TFO makes some pretty nice rods for their normal price point, and having built on TFO blanks I can say that they do have an obvious spline and their factory guide spacing is not optimal, so a custom build on one of their blanks will give you a better rod. But I'm really surprised that they are taking this approach to marketing. It seems that they are basically admitting that their normal build process is flawed!
On the cost, I don't think you could get a custom build on one of their blanks with all the bells and whistles for much less than $400. So they are overpriced, but not as much as you might think. My biggest concern is that you would be paying for the illusion of a custom build rod but really just getting a somewhat better TFO factory product.It looks like the custom work really comes down to cosmetics and a standard "blueprinting" (which is ridiculous) and the more important things you want customized are things like the fit of your hand to the grip or the placement of the stripping guide to match your reach.
I guess somebody will buy them.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 21:31

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
.It looks like the custom work really comes down to cosmetics and a standard "blueprinting" (which is ridiculous)...

blueprinting = buzzword

I can't think of anything they could possibly do to fine tune the action of a blank once it is rolled and baked other than selectively sand areas of the blank.

How about they just improve the quality of their blanks?

Also, still can't forget the time I saw a brand new TFO sitting on the rack with a *hole* in the blank.

Never seen a TFO with decent cork either. At least that would be corrected in a custom build ( I would hope).

Posted on: 2013/4/22 22:42

Quote:
I can't think of anything they could possibly do to fine tune the action of a blank once it is rolled and baked other than selectively sand areas of the blank.

Exactly
Done by one of the top designers to eliminate dead spots and create a more efficient rod

Someone mentioned mesier
Which is the same as what we are talking about with TFO
(Asian blank with a USA assemble)
Expect the TFO blueprinting and the work is done by someone with 3 times the amount of experience

Posted on: 2013/4/23 8:14

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

slumdumb wrote:

Exactly
Done by one of the top designers to eliminate dead spots and create a more efficient rod

The irony of this is that amongst rod builders, sanding through the carbon material of a blank is generally considered a bad idea.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:56

From Souderton PA
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

slumdumb wrote:

Exactly

The irony of this is that amongst rod builders, sanding through the carbon material of a blank is generally considered a bad idea.

You would think that it would create more problems than it could possibly solve. I find the whole thing to be confusing. They should have near perfect control over how the blank turns out, so why would they need to go back and tune it. It is a predictable and homogeneous synthetic material.
I think my confusion is just further evidence that I would never make it in the world of marketing.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 21:12

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
[ They should have near perfect control over how the blank turns out, so why would they need to go back and tune it. It is a predictable and homogeneous synthetic material.

This may be true of the raw carbon cloth, but the cloth still needs to be cut, rolled, etc. by a human. Blanks are rarely perfectly (or near perfectly) straight for instance.

I seriously doubt that they are doing anything post-production to noticably alter they performance of their blanks.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:25

That's exactly what this blueprinting process is...

Post production altering of the blank to create a more efficient casting rod.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com