Never Ever... (Disposal of Bear Spray)

sandfly

sandfly

Don't ever release bear spray (old stuff) with wind changing directions.. (cough-cough) tears, choke, burn.. guess the 10 year old stuff was still potent..

Paflyfish General Forum Open forum for all topics related to fly fishing Moderator: afishinado, Fishidiot, JackM, Maurice

Emphasis mine.

mods delete this and we are gone

gfen wrote:
Paflyfish General Forum Open forum for all topics related to fly fishing Moderator: afishinado, Fishidiot, JackM, Maurice

Emphasis mine.

Emphasis mine. It may not be exactly related to fly fishing but the guy has done as much as anyone to contribute advice and help in person and on line. He adds a lot to the fly tying forum among other things. Give him a break.

Personally I think it has a lot to do with fly fishing. Some of us actually fish where you may run into a bear in which case having bear stray could come in very handy. Good advice to know the wind direction except of course if the bear knows it too!

Depends on which way ya spray it. You just might help a bear get an easy meal.

I went to Yellowstone a few years back with my brother and I asked him about buying bear spray. He looked me square in the face and said "I don't need bear spray, I can run and I don't have to be faster than him, just faster than you".

Love ya bro!

i told my wife i don't need bear spray for similar reasons - if we see a bear we'll run and i'll trip her up.

i have the kids to think of ;-)

I believe the canister reads "point away"

krayfish2 wrote:
I believe the canister reads "point away"

At the point when you need the bear spray is no time to be reading the directions.

Just saying.......

I have a nugget of wisdom to add. Wash your hands thoroughly before you take a leak.

I had a similar incident happen to me in the military once with pepper spray and a drunk marine

Bear spray is essential FFing gear in some parts of the West and disposing of it could be an issue (I have some old bear spray and have sometimes wondered how long it will last).

I did edit the title line to better reflect the topic.
DW

I believe in the age old method of, when confronted with an angry bear, just hit it in the face with a handful of sh!t.

Just reach back, it will be there.

LOL, LOL, LOL FD.

gfen wrote:

Emphasis mine.
It figures, some things never change. He's prolly forgotten more about FFing than you'll come to know. Just saying.

Sandfly, does bear spray have a spray by date, and can bears read it?

I once found a can of pepper spray along the road and sprayed it just for fun many years ago when I was about 15 or 16 years old. I was spraying towards a friend who was too far to affect them in any way but the wind sure did get me. That stuff is truly disabling and I couldn't see for quite a while...very effective.

I got nailed by over spray when the School Resource Officer sprayed an out of control, violent kid. Tried to cuff the kid and it was on. Milk does help with the burn. GG

I think this is an excellent case in point as to why you really need to get educated on and practice with bear spray if you are going to carry it. It is extremely effective when used properly. Might get you killed while blind and burning if you are not experienced with it.

Back