Nettle-proof, Quick-drying Fishing Pants?

T

troutbert

Many anglers wear quick drying, micro-fiber nylon fishing pants now. They are cool and light and dry quickly and wear well.

But, if you are wet wading, and therefore don't have the protection of waders or hip boots, you have a problem if you get into a patch of nettles. The nettles will just burn you right through those pants. Those pants seem to not even slow the nettles down a little bit. And it hurts!

On some small freestoner streams, there are nettles galore for a long way alongside the stream. On some of these streams, they are just unavoidable.

Does anyone know of fishing pants that are still quick drying, but resistant to nettles? Maybe someone makes pants out of the same type of fabric, but of a heavier material or tighter weave?

Are there quick drying brush pants made for the grouse and other small game hunters? How about military pants, from the Army Navy stores? Do they have pants that are quick drying but resistant to nettles?

Wow, never thought of that. Mostly because I have never encountered nettles, I guess. My only problem with quick dry pants, which I like a lot, is I have no quick dry underwear.

Anyone got a line on some of that?

tomgamber wrote:
Wow, never thought of that. Mostly because I have never encountered nettles, I guess. My only problem with quick dry pants, which I like a lot, is I have no quick dry underwear.

Anyone got a line on some of that?

I guess you could either wear a bathing suit underneath or go commando, but then you really have to watch out for the nettles.

Yeah, I'll have to goggle nettles later but it sounds like something I don;t want in my drawers..

nylon underwear just doesn;t sound comfy but I guess it cloud be better than spending the afternoon looking like you peed yourself.

Tom,

A nettle is a general term that refers to basically any plant that when you rub up against it, it burns like heck. A common name that I've heard around my parts is 7 minute itch, although it doesn't itch as much as it burns and it definitely lasts longer than 7 minutes. I had a bad run in a few weeks ago with a nettle. I was climbing up a steep stream bank and I started slipping down. I put my hand down to stop the fall and put it right through a nettle. My arm was bright red and swollen for a day, hurt like the dickens.

I also thought 'nettle' sounded a little off but after a bit o' research I found the plants that we always referred to as 'itch weed.' They do burn like crazy. I've often encountered them while wet wading small streams in the summer. Not a good time on bare skin.

Wow, I have never had that happen. Ok, where's some wood I can knock on...I think, from the sound of it, any kind of quick dry wading pant that would have any kind of defense against such a plant would no longer be quick drying.

You can find a description, with photo, here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

They are pretty common.

This is a good thread and I'm interested in the answers. I've also worn the quick dry pants for summer wet wading. This morning I hit the nettles and, you're right, these pants don't stop 'em. I was hurtin. It's almost to the point I'm ready to just go back to an old pair of blue jeans.

You just need the cure... jewel weed, it grows next to neddle.

ex officio has quick dry boxers that are fantastic

troutbert wrote:
You can find a description, with photo, here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

They are pretty common.

OK I've seen those...Have blown thru them many times....Could it be that I do not get a reaction to them and some others do?

Great more research..thanks though..troutbert and Paintball dude...

http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

I have been stung so many times that they don't even bother me anymore .I can barely tell when i've i'm stung anymore . ;-) I mostly see the plants on the muddy banks of the streams around my area . The main branch of the brandywine is crawling with them :evil: I use to dred coming and leaving the stream because how thick the nettles were but now I'm almost completely immune . :hammer:

That's one of a few reasons I don't wet wade anymore.
Don't know how they'd stand up to nettles, but I wear dickies work pants under my waders and hip boots.
They do dry fast though, and might be worth trying.

I think the pants help and I wear them now after years of brookie fishing in shorts.

My friend got a pair from woolrich that work better than mine from cabelas.

After reading this thread from the start, I thought it was referring to an aquatic organism, like a jellyfish. I had done some boating with my step-brother in the Chesapeake and he always said that the "stinging nettles" were an issue, hence my confusion. I've since discovered he was referring to "stinging sea nettles". http://www.intercom.net/local/shore_journal/jp010716.html

After reading further into the the thread and reading the wiki article, it became obvious that what you guys were talking about is "burn hazel". That's the generic term I knew growing up and what I've always called it.

Yeah, that is some nasty stuff. I always wear my chest waders mainly to avoid the stuff, although they make it nice for avoiding all sorts of summertime issues (ticks, spiders, etc.). I do know that once you come in contact with burn hazel the worst thing you can do is itch, scrape or otherwise irritate the area. I've had a good luck "sucking it up" and the pain goes away not long after.

I heard stream water helps the burn/itch.

Once it really starts to itch I splash alittle on my legs and it does help. It doesn't take it away though.

Another thing I do that helps is walk duck-footed through it. I usually can push it all down without getting stung.

I have seen some of the tallest plants this year, some over 3 feet tall -- sucks.

Like student of the stream, I've always referred to it as itch weed.
And since I no longer wet wade, I've never had it get to my legs.
But have got it often on my arms while wearing short sleeves.
I just try to keep my eyes peeled for it, along with poison ivy

Back