Net recommendations

froghair5

froghair5

I'm thinking of putting a fishing net on my Christmas list. I've been looking at the Brodins. I realize there are different sizes and shapes. Can anyone make any recommendations? I only fish small central PA streams.

I have a Brodin Ghost- Gallatin model. It has worked fine and is beautifully made but it is not the cheapest net. I purchased my from Flyfisher's Paradise in State College. Still leave it in the car at least 50% of the time but no doubt helps landing fish easier and helps the fish stay in the water for a photo. It is easy to get flies out of the rubber bag net.

pic

Attachments

• brodin ghost.jpg
    brodin ghost.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 2
frog,
A lot will depend on what you envision using the net for. Speaking for myself, I am hard on equipment and beat my gear pretty hard. If you buy a very nice wood net it's likely to get scuffed up - although this might not be a problem for you. I rarely use a net unless I intend to photograph a trout. For this reason, I don't care for the shallow bag "catch and release" type nets. Rather, I'd recommend a net with a soft, fine mesh, and very deep bag. With a deep bag, you can net a 20" fish and keep his head in the water while you fumble with your camera. A shallow net won't allow this - the fish will flip out or back out. Another consideration is how you intend to carry the net. I like mine worn in the middle of my back with the handle down. To get this, I drill a screw hole in the front of the hoop, although you could probably tie a connection here.

If you are open to modern technologies, check out this net from William Joseph. I looked at one at TCO and it's pretty cool.
http://www.williamjoseph.net/product_details.php

I really like my Brodin Ghost Gallitan. Hooks don't hang up, especially useful for fishing tandem rigs, which I almost always do.

I've been looking at the Brodin Ghost at my local shop for some time but couldn't seem to justify the cost since I only use a net occasionally.

I noticed that Cabelas now carries a clear rubber net for $29.99. I believe the net is 16" x 12". My local store doesn't have them yet so I had them order one for customer hold so I could take a look at it. I want to check out the overall quality and if they are using the lighter weight bags.

At $30 it may be worth a try.

acristickid wrote:
I have a Brodin Ghost- Gallatin model. It has worked fine and is beautifully made but it is not the cheapest net. I purchased my from Flyfisher's Paradise in State College. Still leave it in the car at least 50% of the time but no doubt helps landing fish easier and helps the fish stay in the water for a photo. It is easy to get flies out of the rubber bag net.

I second the rubber netting. I bought one this year from Dicks with a similar netting to acristickid's and LOVE it. It is easy on the fish and especially if you ever fish tandem rigs, the second hook won't snag your netting. It may be a bit bulky compared to the nylon netting, but I prefer it now in most situations. I believe I bought mine at Dicks for around $20. It was called a catch and release net.

Thanks for all the help so far! What are the pros and cons of the various shapes. I notice some are frying pan shape, some are long and skinny, etc. What do more people prefer?

My 2 cents: As a beginner I used the catch and release style nets and found that I as became more proficient, and began to catch larger fish, the shallow nets were a hindrence and I found myself wrestling alot of fish trying to keep them from flopping out. I have since switched to a teardrop shape with a deeper net and have found this to be the best net for all applications for me.

I have a Brodin net that is a brand new hand-me-down from my son. It was given to him and I think it cost over $100. Believe it or not he fishes with an inexpensive aluminum net from Cabelas. ($20-$25) Wooden nets are heavy, the rubber basket is heavy and you don't have to spend allot to have something that works well. Shape and weight are important. A deep basket is a must and don't let people tease you if your net looks allot bigger than it's quarry. I use the Brodin because it's free and my flies don't get tangled in the mesh. My son uses his Cabelas because he spends hours fishing and it's light, he likes the teardrop shape for landing fish, its got a deep basket and if the handle were a bit longer (He plans on lengthing it) it would be perfect. My net might make me look the part but my son shows me everytime we fish together what a true angler looks like. It isn't about the net.

I also asked about nets awhile back. I've learned a bit more since then.

I asked for a chair back massager. I got it early and I've been sitting here for hours!! :) :)

I found myself bringing the net less and less as the years went by. It kept getting caught in the brush. It was a burden to juggle my rod while reaching back to grab the net and this caused me to eventually stop using it for all but the largest fish. A while ago I purchased a set of tools called ketchum release. I think they work very well with all but the lightest of fish and you don't ever have to remove the fish from the water. My net is currently collecting dust in the closet.

Back