Need to upgrade

Chetty82

Chetty82

Years ago when I wanted to start fly-fishing I just bought a wal-mart combo which is what I could afford but would love to upgrade to a better set. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking at Cabela's website was thinking of this for trout fishing at the Little J

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=728641&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=bb29266dac1070560cf5f9722f7c8d1f&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105571980&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Again please let me know and thank you in advance.

For the J, you probably wanna go with a 5 or 6 wt, with the 9 foot length.

As far as actual models of fly rods, it's real tough to give advice. St. Croix is a well liked company and they make some good stuff. And for a beginner I'd recommend a medium-fast action. But rods are one of those things that fit the person, none of us agree with each other on what makes a good rod. And virtually every company calls their action "medium-fast" on their models in this price range, yet, they vary in feel greatly.

My best piece of advice is to demand to test them. A reputable fly shop will be willing to hand you several models, string em up for you, and let you take them outside to cast and see what YOU like best. I've done it at Cabelas too.

That rod in a 9 ft 5wt will serve you well on the Little J. A 6 wt would be nice for the times you are throwing streamers, heavy nymphing, or the odd trip for steelhead, but the 5 will be a better all around tool for trout on the J.

another rod/reel combo for you to check out in that price range is an LL Bean Streamlight Ultra. I got one about a week ago after reading all the positive reviews. Its a real nice, light rod. I'd say it was a medium fast action rod. It casts nicely and the drag is very smooth. The thing that sold it for me is Beans lifetime warranty.

Back