Need new reel

Brian50

Brian50

Look for new fly reel 3/4wt for around $100.00 any suggestions

I think Cabela's has an affordable Click and Pawl reel now.

Disk drag or click pawl? What size arbor? What do you plan on using this reel for?

Disk, large arbor and trout

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68709?page=streamlight-ultra-large-arbor-fly-reel

Orvis battenkill...say no more. You can use it till your 80 and pass on to your son.

I have an Orvis Clearwater II that I really like - http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-large-arbor-fly-reels/4y55. I use it on my 9'5w for trout and bass.

Only downside to this reel is new spare spools are NLA

I'm looking too and cabelas has several in that price range. I was thinking about their prestige plus model which has a cork dsk drag and its on sale for $20. You could by 5 for that price. The prestige premier for $89 is a step up wiith a better drag system and looks like a good deal.

Lamson liquid is $100 from cabelas. You can get the reel and two extr spools for I think $150. I personally don't have the reel, but you can't go wrong with a lamson.

swany50 wrote: prestige plus

I have a Prestige Plus 1 that I have as a back-up reel. It started out as my go to small stream reel but I just didnt like the feel of it - too bulky. But for 20$, its would probably be more suited for a longer/heavier rod than I had mine on.

I have the orvis battenkill for my 4 weight I love it highly recommended.

Was looking at the 270° at basspro reg.169 on sale for 99 anyone ever use one

Ross Cimaron LA are on closeout for $100-$110. Bulletproof. SA system 4 reels (basically Ross reel made at Ross plant) can be had for less than $100 on STP. Third choice is Cabelas prestige premier (Lamson reel). Last I saw, they were $49.99.

Don't know if this matters to you but I see a number of Ross Flyrise & Flystart reels from $39 - $69 range. One place is on the STP site. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-reels~d~188/ross-reels~b~1746/ They weren't made in the USA but in China during the time that Orvis owned them. I contacted Ross and this is what they told me.

Steve - the Flyrise™ and Flystart™ reels, now discontinued and designed under previous ownership, were made overseas. So, yes you are correct. We design all of the our reels in Colorado, and everything from the Cimmaron II price point and up are made 100% in our factory.

Man, can't go wrong with any of these recommendations. You may even want to check them out in person to hear them, which may sound crazy, but sometimes it comes down to that.

krayfish2 wrote:
Ross Cimaron LA are on closeout for $100-$110. Bulletproof. SA system 4 reels (basically Ross reel made at Ross plant) can be had for less than $100 on STP. Third choice is Cabelas prestige premier (Lamson reel). Last I saw, they were $49.99.

But you can get a Chinese made Cheeky on STP for only 150 bucks more!! it's a no brainer!!!!

LOL. All sarcasm of course.

In all honesty, disc drag isn't needed either. My old hardy Marquis clicker handled fish just fine for 20+ yrs. Now it's just a dust collector.

Kev,
If they had that cheeky reel in watermelon, I'd sooo be on it. LOL also sarcasm.

I have an Orvis Battenkill that I originally purchased in 1990 (3/4 wt. click and pawl) and it gets used. NEVER a problem.

Lamson redesigned their Guru reel this year, many places have the old model on clearance. MRFC had them for $100 I believe.

My buddy got a Lamson Liquid at the show for 55.00 plus tax.

Back