Need an On-Stream Magnifier

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

I wear Rx glasses and over those I wear pair of polarized wrap-around sunglasses. I need a hands free magnifier for knot work while fishing.

I've read some bad and good reviews of the clip on kind. What's your experience? What do you use. Thanks in advance...

I use Hat Eyes. I prefer the glass magnifying lens instead of the plastic lens. They don't seem to scratch as easily. The clip is metal as wears well too.

I've never liked the clip-on magnifiers.
Got no idea why they have that split window. But that seam down the middle just seems to distort things for me.
Anyway, I wear prescription bifocals. And they're fine for all of my close up work. I can still tie #32 flies on with them.
Maybe you need stronger lenses?

That was when I realized I needed bifocals as they really weren't making those danged hook eyes smaller.

pete41 wrote:
That was when I realized I needed bifocals as they really weren't making those danged hook eyes smaller.
No, but they do make them bigger ie. Orvis Big Eye hooks.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
No, but they do make them bigger ie. Orvis Big Eye hooks.

The Daiichi 1110 is the Orvis big eye hook, if you tie your own. Surprisingly only slightly cheaper buying them from dealers than buying the relabeled hook from Orvis.

I wear a pair of over the counter reading glasses (1.75x cheaters) on a short Croakie and put them on when changing flies or tying knots. Works for me...

I use prescription reading glasses but for tying and on-stream I wear Orvis 4x magnifier glasses.

Thank you for your response. I ordered a pair today, along with a set of lenses that will come in handy @ the bench.

Just had the ol' peepers checked, so it's not the hardware. I envy you your excellent vision.

A size 32 fly without magnification??? I think you're pulling my leg.

UncleShorty wrote:
Just had the ol' peepers checked, so it's not the hardware. I envy you your excellent vision.

A size 32 fly without magnification??? I think you're pulling my leg.

FYI - DFGuy can count the spines on the dorsal fin of a rising trout at 100 paces.......but he stated above that he needed magnification to tie on his 32's.

My bifocals don't help tying on 16's. I have the cheap clip ons. Just have to find the right focal length and they work perfectly.

Ditto on the Orvis 4X. Pricey, around $45 but good quality. Less likely to get scratched up. Keep them in a decent case while on the stream. I was careless and broke the arm on a previous pair. Expensive lesson learned.

Back