Need advice on new reel

S

surveyor06

Hey guys, Ive decided that I need to retire my Cabela's reel. It was a good starter, but it binds up quite often, especially when it gets wet, and I was looking for a better drag. Currently I hand line most fish caught, cause I have no faith in my drag. One of these days I'm going to catch a monster on 7x and its gonna snap me off. But I digress. I was looking at a Okuma Magnitude. Seems like a solid reel, and for about 60 bucks, its a good price. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this reel, or the company. Any other suggestions in the same price range 60-80 bucks would be helpful. Thanks.

some of the Cabelas reels are actually okumas...might want to look elsewhere. A few threads down is the same discussion I believe.

I've always used battenkill reels and think that they're a great reel at a decent price - around $85 last time I checked.
And if you do have a problem with it, Orvis's customer service is fantastic.
I'm currently using one now that's almost 20 years old

The regular arbor is basically a Sierra. I have multiple sierras. They're not great, but they are decent. I've landed my largest trout on the reel.

The drag isn't the best, but you get what you pay for.

The large arbor magnitude is different.

I fished a sierra and a cabela's prestige plus in Montana. Both drags were tested thoroughly, and the prestige plus was significantly better. I'm pretty sure they are similarly priced.

Orvis Battenkill Barstock for around $120 is where I'd start.

Although, admittedly, I'd probably end with the Orvis CFO Disc for around $200.

If eBay continues to stymie me, I'll probably undertake that path, too.

Edit: Look, the BBS is onsale for $20 off, too! A Sporting Lifestyle in Allentown had $25 off if you mentioned their ad on the back of some regional FF'ing magazine, too, if I recall. Wish I could give you more details there, though. I'll look to see when I get home if I've got one of those magazines in my pile, or if someone else knows what I mean, a BBS for $75 would be hard to top.

I agree with dryflyguy. Battenkills are very solid and reliable day-after-day. Plus they're backed by the Orvis Guarantee.

Many hate Orvis because, well, they are Orvis and have dominated the market for so long.

But I rarely have problems with any of their gear. And when I do, their customer service has been outstanding.

You can get the discontinued Lamson Radius on ebay for around $100. Great reel for that price. I have the "1.5" model on my 4-weight. You'd want the 2 model for a 5 or 6 weight.

For the price, Lamson Konic is really a nice reel for around $120. I have never used any of these but have heard good things about all - Ross Flystart ($50), Flycast ($75) and Flyrise ($95).

I was checking the Battenkill reels out during lunch, and like what i saw. Probably not going to get the Bar Stock, and might opt for the Disk Drag, which is more in my price range. It has a Rulon drag, which is an upgrade for me. It is a very nice looking reel as well, and the guarantee is appealing as well.

I think that if price is a concern, you should realize that reels are primarily there to hold line on the trout stream. As long as as your drag isn't binding, it's plenty sufficient. For larger waterways and larger fish, it becomes a worry.

Well thats exactly whats happening with my current reel, actually it binds when just reeling in. Thats why I want to upgrade, but i figure if Im gonna upgrade might as well get something half decent. I dont really have a need right now for an amazing drag, but I do run into fish now and then that I wish I had something more reliable.

the CRS 2, they dont even make them anymore

I love my Cabelas RLS. I paid $80 on sale. it is now $120. It has a rulon drag and is very smooth and high quality. I can not believe I only paid $80 for it.

My buddy just ordered an Albright Rod and Reel. They look really nice. It came to his house today. So we will be testing it by the weekend. They have really great prices and I will give an update on here if in a few weeks if you are intrested.

Millertime,

I think my reel was discontinued and newer better models were made. An update would be great, I always like hearing about whats out there, but Im looking to purchase in a few days. Thanks though.

Andy

Andy - The original Battenkill disc drag reel is a proven classic. Like dryflyguy, I've got one that is older than dirt, and it works as good as the day I got it. It's a dependable workhorse that you'd be able to pass on to your kids.

My favorite thing about that reel, is that the spool is pretty narrow. This allows you to just reel line in and not worry about it making a "high spot" if you don't wind the line on level. The drag is still smooth on mine after many hundreds of fish, and it's guaranteed to stay that way forever. It ain't flashy, but it just works.

The ad gfen mentioned from the new Orvis shop (A Sporting Lifestyle) is on the last page of the Mid Atlantic Flyfishing Guide. Mention the ad for 10% off your purchase of $50 or more. That puts a Battenkill 5/6 at $80. With the BBS II on sale for $100, the added discount makes it $90 - that's a really good deal on a machined/anodized reel.

Good luck with your decision.....

gfen and Heritage-Angler,

Thanks for the combined effort to save me some bucks. I think I'm headed over tomorrow after work to buy the reel. Seems too good to pass up. Once again, you guys have helped out me out, I definitely appreciate it. I will let you guys know how many fish I catch fish it this weekend ;-)

Andy

How old is your reel?
A friend of mine had that CSR reel and had problems with the drag. I believe that Cabela's swapped out the reel for the RLS.
If your reel is fairly new then they may help you out with a different reel. Can't hurt to ask.
Good luck.

if looking to save some dough, look for a classic click pawl reel on ebay. There are plently all the time. A lot of the reels are copies of the hardy drags. The daiwa 706 is an awesome reel. That thing is a tank. I've hand mine over 10 years with many bashes on rocks on it's still silk smooth.

Other vintage reels that stand up very well and might actually go up in value over the years are Young's older reels like the Young Beaudex, Pirdex and Condex. As well as the hardy copies like the heddon 300 series.

Just some extra options for you to think of.

edit (just did a quick search and there is a near mint daiwa 706 on ebay now. Bet it goes for under $30.)

FishOnCamp,

The reel is about two years old. I may have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Andy

Back