Need Wader Advice

J

JasonC

Last time out, I hadn’t taken my waders, neoprene socks and boots out of the trash bag they were in to wash them and the bag was mistaken for clothes for donation. I’m not mad about it as it always makes me happy to give. Maybe whoever got them wasn’t quite looking for fishing gear and probably wants to wash them though. My old waders were neoprene and while they were unmatched in warmth and durability/toughness when walking through brush to get to the water, I’m really curious in breathable waders now mainly due to the lightweight and the not-so-skin-tightness when wearing them. How do they hold up when hiking through some brush? I’m not talking total bushwhacking but a healthy thicket of shrubs and bushes here and there. In the coldest months, am I looking at one or two layers underneath to stay warm? I use convertible quick-dry pants with waterproof socks for the summer heat when the water is comfortable, how is your experience with breathable waders in the hottest months, too much or do they stay cool enough to not even worry about the pants/socks combo? Anyone have any specific recommendations as well, if it all possible keeping it under $150? That’s not a hard limit though. Any advice is appreciated, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas too!

Breathable waders certainly aren't as durable as neoprene. And not really made for beating through brush.
I wear mine just about exclusively on medium to large size streams, where I can usually follow a clear path to and from the water.
And if I do get to a brushy stretch, I just try to be careful and watch where I go. Or move up or down in the stream to try to avoid heavy cover.

For fishing small streams, where I'm a lot more likely to get into thick areas - I use rubber or canvas hip boots.
More durable off the beaten path

As for layering with breathable waders:
In cold weather, I wear polypropylene thermal tops and bottom. With a thin pant over the poly bottoms. And a layer or two of fleece on top.

In summer, I wear thin quick dry pants. And a thin shirt on top

$150 isn't going to get you any of the better quality breathable waders
But if that's your limit, I would probably go with Orvis encounter - which sell for somewhere around that I believe.
And Orvis's warranty is tops IMO - now that Bean has reduced it's warranty to 1 year

Jason,

Dinkman posted this in the beginner's forum and might be useful:

Beginner: Questions and Gear Recommendations

Also, I donate a few times a year. You might want to check with them as most of the stuff they get is piled up for a while until they can sort through it all. It may still be there as they received more donation this time of year. I am sure this happens all the time.

Cheers.

Not sure you need to wash your waders every time out, but it’s definitely a good idea to get them out of their bag (or whatever they’re transported in) and get them hanging up to dry ASAP when you get home. Otherwise the "funk" will set in and you will quickly be known as the smelly kid at the fishing hole.

The first thing to understand about breathable waders is “breathable” is a relative term. Do they “breathe” better than neoprene, yeah, but it’s not like you’re wearing a light cotton oxford with the top couple buttons open on a breezy day. Second thing is, not all breathable waders are built the same. Some are heavier with multiple layers of more durable fabric, others are lightweight and thin. As you might expect, the heavier ones are more durable, but also tend to be hotter in warm weather.

Breathable waders actually tolerate brush busting fairly well in my experience, the exception being that they’re vulnerable to small punctures from thorns. Try to avoid thorns and briar patches when you can. Even with thorns though, small puncture holes are easy to patch up, and you can usually get a watertight seal that will outlast the waders. I don’t worry about it most of the time. If I get a small puncture hole, I just repair it with a patch and Aquaseal when I get home. It’s usually the stretching and deterioration of the seams over time that cause the eventual terminal failure of most waders. Brush busting, and climbing over/through stuff, will accelerate this process over simply walking on a nice graded trail or standing still in a larger stream. To combat this, I usually have two pairs of waders…A nice, newer pair that I wear on bigger streams where I don’t expect to encounter a ton brush busting or climbing over stuff, and then an older and/or cheaper “beater” pair for small streams. The beater pair often has some puncture repairs on them, and may have some small seam weeps already. When the seams get too bad, I just throw the beater pair away. For me, the threshold for "too bad" is when I can wring water out of my socks or pant cuffs. I don't mind a little dampness...On hot days, you'll be damp with sweat anyway. In the end, I don’t recall small holes from brush busting ever being what killed a pair of my breathable waders…It’s always been the seams failing.

Winter time and being cold isn’t an issue with breathable waders. Just layer up underneath them, and make sure your boots aren’t too tight. If you’re hiking around a bunch, you’ll still end up too warm half the time. The only time I get cold is when I’m on a bigger stream, and standing still most of the time. In the Summer, even in breathable waders, if you’re hiking around to any degree you’re going to be too hot. Period. The solution options there are either just dealing with it, not fishing during the Summer, or wet wading.

Swattie87 wrote:
Not sure you need to wash your waders every time out, but it’s definitely a good idea to get them out of their bag (or whatever they’re transported in) and get them hanging up to dry ASAP when you get home. Otherwise the "funk" will set in and you will quickly be known as the smelly kid at the fishing hole.

The first thing to understand about breathable waders is “breathable” is a relative term. Do they “breathe” better than neoprene, yeah, but it’s not like you’re wearing a light cotton oxford with the top couple buttons open on a breezy day. Second thing is, not all breathable waders are built the same. Some are heavier with multiple layers of more durable fabric, others are lightweight and thin. As you might expect, the heavier ones are more durable, but also tend to be hotter in warm weather.

Breathable waders actually tolerate brush busting fairly well in my experience, the exception being that they’re vulnerable to small punctures from thorns. Try to avoid thorns and briar patches when you can. Even with thorns though, small puncture holes are easy to patch up, and you can usually get a watertight seal that will outlast the waders. I don’t worry about it most of the time. If I get a small puncture hole, I just repair it with a patch and Aquaseal when I get home. It’s usually the stretching and deterioration of the seams over time that cause the eventual terminal failure of most waders. Brush busting, and climbing over/through stuff, will accelerate this process over simply walking on a nice graded trail or standing still in a larger stream. To combat this, I usually have two pairs of waders…A nice, newer pair that I wear on bigger streams where I don’t expect to encounter a ton brush busting or climbing over stuff, and then an older and/or cheaper “beater” pair for small streams. The beater pair often has some puncture repairs on them, and may have some small seam weeps already. When the seams get too bad, I just throw the beater pair away. For me, the threshold for "too bad" is when I can wring water out of my socks or pant cuffs. I don't mind a little dampness...On hot days, you'll be damp with sweat anyway. In the end, I don’t recall small holes from brush busting ever being what killed a pair of my breathable waders…It’s always been the seams failing.

Winter time and being cold isn’t an issue with breathable waders. Just layer up underneath them, and make sure your boots aren’t too tight. If you’re hiking around a bunch, you’ll still end up too warm half the time. The only time I get cold is when I’m on a bigger stream, and standing still most of the time. In the Summer, even in breathable waders, if you’re hiking around to any degree you’re going to be too hot. Period. The solution options there are either just dealing with it, not fishing during the Summer, or wet wading.

^ All really good stuff to read.

Agree that everyone should try to keep a "beater" or "backup" pair of waders, because sure as "whatever" waders fail without warning and no one likes to be wet or out of commision when they do fail.

So try to buy waders when you old pair are still serviceable and can be used as a beater or a backup, to get you through your trip until you can buy another pair or have your waders repaired.

Back