Need New Waders

JMP

JMP

Found out on Saturday my breathable waders leak. After multiple patches, it is time for a new pair. They were Cabela's premium and lasted >7 years. Anyone have experience with the new stich free models? I have gift cards to Cabela's and Bass Pro to use. Any suggestions?
Thank you

forget bpro theyre pretty sad.....

The welded seams model from Cabelas get good reviews. Best bang for the buck may be the Dan Bailey lightweightw.

Simms G3. Not welded seams, but bullet proof. I've had mine for 4 years. I fish 100+ days a year. No seam has ever leaked.

Looks like the Orvis models finished pretty high and were much less expensive than some of the others.

I've also got a pair of G3's. I've had them for several years and yes, they are quite good....a little pricey but good. If you are looking at boots, the guide boot is more comfy than the G4. I've got one of each and seldomly wear the G4.

Simms.

Backcountry has the Patagonia Guidewater waders (originally 399.) on sale for 240. I absolutely love mine. Worth every penny.

I've worn my Simms for 10+ years. never a leak

I would read the wader shoot out....it will give you a summary of high and low points on all the waders tested.

I have a pair of Redington Sonics that I got on clearance from Backcountry.com.....they are going into their 3rd year of use and have no leaks so far. I have probably 60-70 days in them and I usually beat the crap out of them.

It seams like most everything else you get what you pay for, but I would pay close attention to the number of layers on the leg/seat, zip functions, and extras like hand warmers, pockets, etc. It is all dependent on what you want or think you will use. I wouldn't pay $400 for 3 layers of Gore-Tex when you can find 5 layers of other waterproof material with extras for the same or less.

I am on my fifth year with my Simms waders. No leaks. IMO they make the best waders on the market.

I have the Orvis Sonic Seam convertibles and love them. I also have a pair of Cabelas Dry-Plus waist highs and never had a problem with them. I got them 2 years ago on special for $99 and they're still going strong.

For the billionth time... Lamson Guru.
Oh, sorry wrong thread.
+1 on simms.

Anyone check out LLBean's new waders? I like their lifetime warranty on waders because eventually all waders leak. I have a pair of the emergers and they're ok, but if and when they leak I'll take them back and get a new pair within reason.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76469?feat=1109-GN2&page=men-s-kennebec-waders-stocking-foot&attrValue_0=Graphite&productId=1262099

+1 on Patagonia's. I know they're expensive, but they've lasted me through pretty rough conditions (hiking, kneeling in water and on the banks, etc) and Patagonia has the Iron Clad guarantee just in case something does happen.

Check ebay or like Tyeager said, look for closeouts.

Just drop the coin on Simms G3's and be done with it, you will be glad you did.

I haven't had them for long, but my Bean Rapid Rivers are a big step up from the Frogg Toggs I had for 3 years. Price was right, too.

No leak yet on my Bean RR's, but a situation has developed which tampers my enthusiasm.

For a little background, I bought em last summer, so less than a year. And this was one of the lightest fishing years I've had. Probably a dozen outings or so total.

Last weekend I noticed a seam opening up pretty badly. I can stick my finger through it. Luckily, it's on the gravel guard, so is not a leak, per se. But it certainly has put a dent in my confidence in how "bulletproof" the wader is.

Bean has an excellent "satisfaction" warranty. I try to be fair with these things. I expect about 3 years at my current fishing pace before leakage. If it leaks before then I'll take them up on the warranty. If it lasts 3 years, I will call myself satisfied.

As I read these post there are many things I question; but the fact is that all waders leak sometime. If not; they don't get used very much or at least very hard. I have had a pair of Simms older Rivershed waders(3 layer Gore-Tex top/5 Layer bottom) for 6-7 years. I abuse the #censor# out of them. I have patched more pin hole leaks from brush alone than I can honestly now count, and one seem leak that was no questions asked repaired by Simms.

I recently got a pair of the zip front Redington Sonic Pro's for a very low price, and so far I feel they are just as good as the Simms. Actually they fit better. The only complaint would be that the neoprene booties are thinner, but not that either really keep your feet warm. They seem just as durable, and basically have all the same features as the $700+ G4 zip fronts at a half or less the cost.

No brainer. They will all wear and leak someday. They will all need patched someday. It all comes down to how much you want to spend now. This is coming from a guy that swore he would never wear anything but Simms. Well; Simms is great, but they're gonna out price themselves because the competition is getting better and cheaper. Unfortunately Made in America shouldn't justify $700-$800!

I may have the model before yours. I think they were L2 Gore-Tex. They are closing in on 10 years old. They are my back ups or warm weather waders. They are lighter than the G3's and have about 2 tubes of aquaseal on them. LOL. I got those on end of year clearance way back and they were $150 shipped to the door. They have been used and abused but just won't die. Cricket is right....all will leak at some point. A $50 pair of waders will probably leak faster or not last as long when compared to a $300 pair. Pick a price point, see which fit you best and look for sales.

Back