Nail knot vs loop to loop

Berks

Berks

Just wondering what most use for the connection of fly line to leader. I use both, loop to loop on my 5/6wt trout setup and nail knot on my 7wt bass set-up.

I recently picked up a 4wt (TFO Pro 2) and had the reel spooled with SA Mastery GPX that has a welded loop. Seems like the loop to loop connection is handy for those who swap out leaders, but I generally don’t do that regularly. I prefer the nail knot but I don’t want to cause any issues with cutting off the loop on a brand new line. Any advise is appreciated.

I cut the loops off as I prefer a nail knot. IMO loops are bulky and not very aerodynamic.

I will generally fish the same leader for as long as I can, or as long as I trust its strength and integrity, which, using tippet rings as to avoid losing more and more of the leader with each blood knot etc, turns out to be a long time. That said, I always use loop to loop. Works fine, perfection loops are easy, and it works for me.

I use a loop to a furled leader. Then a loop from the skinny end of the furled leader to my tippet. The only time I don't use a loop to loop is when I need to taper my tippet down another step, when I use a double surgeon.

I preferred the needle knot to both.

For the most part, I'll use the factory welded loop. If the loop shows wear, I'll cut it and replace with braided loop connection.

I like the loop to loop cause Im lazy and its much faster/easier to change leaders. And with the way I destroy leaders, it saves me the headache of tying more knots,

I use a nail knot.

I build my own leaders and change them all the time for different conditions. Short brookie leaders, long dry fly leaders, nymphing leaders, etc. And I really only have like 2 reel setups that get transferred from rod to rod.

I make all my leaders with the same butt section. So a nail knot from fly line to that butt section, and when I switch leaders, I cut just above the "butt to rest of leader" knot. It slowly shortens, and once I lose more than a few inches I just add another piece of butt section to replace what was lost.

The nail is a pain in the rear to tie for me, but I only do it about once a year.

pete41 wrote:
I preferred the needle knot to both.
oops- age takes its toll-
I used a needle knot for a butt section of about 10 inches then used loop to loop.

I also tie my own leaders, and use a pretty heavy butt section. Such that I wouldn't want a loop of it getting caught on the guides when landing a fish.

Interesting to hear what others are using. Thanks.

Now I'm thinking I'll leave the loop and give that a shot. If that causes any issue I'll go to the nail knot.

I use a loop to loop connection because I use a nymph leader and a dry fly leader and switching than is a breeze.

I also use oversized tip tops on my rods so if I have to I can pull the loops through (but I try and not reel past the leader).

I've never really enjoyed tying nail knots. And certainly don't want to be tying one stream side if I need to change my leader.
So, I've always used loop to loop connections.
When I first started out in this sport, I put braided loops on my fly lines. And never had any problems with them - although I admit it was kinda hard to keep them floating.
Then I started nail knotting a short piece of heavy mono with a perfection loop on it.
Now, most fly lines come with a welded loop. And I think that they're great

Loop-to-loop. It didn't take me long after I started fly fishing (seven years ago) to figure out that the L2L is the way to go. If a line doesn't have a factory "welded" loop, I whip finish a loop in it. From there, it's a perfection loop in the leader (or furled leader) to the fly line. I've never had an issue with loops and rod guides or eyelets. I can't imagine fly fishing without the L2L connection...

I used to only use loop-to-loop connections because I feared the nail knot. The only way I dared to tie the nail knot was on the comfort of my couch whilst mumbling curse words at a level quiet enough to not get slapped by my wife for cursing within ear shot of our son, yet loud enough to satiate my disdain of the knot... I used to use a tube from an empty ball point pen ink tube cut down to about 1.5 inches long. The spirals of the knot were always still too big and I found it to be a pain to seat the knot while getting the wraps lined up well. Also, the process took way to long for me to dare consider tying one streamside.

I then figured out a way to tie nail knots in a MUCH easier way. I took a short piece of monofilament (about 6 inches) and folded it in half and I kind of crimped it at the fold. I lined this along the fly line so the fold was at the tag end of the fly line. Then I tied my nail knot with the leader and put the tag end of the leader (that normally goes in through the tube) into the loop of my folded over over piece of mono that is created by the fold. While pinching down on the wraps of the nail knot, just pull the looped end of the mono (with the leader tag end in the loop) through the wraps of nail knot by pulling on the two pieces of the mono together. By doing this, you're able to get the tag through the wraps of the nail knot and you already have the wraps tight to the fly line so you don't have to fuss with aligning them before you seat the nail knot firmly. - It's still nowhere near as quick as a loop to loop connection - but it makes the uninviting nail knot way less frustrating...

It's easier if the short piece of mono is chartreuse or at least a different color than the leader material. I suppose you could use a regular old piece of string.

I've tried the nailless nail knots and the nail knot tying tools too, but I find the method I described above to be the most efficient.

I hope my explanation was somewhat understandable...

Mathfish, thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. I too curse the nail knot but find it better for casting, so it's been a necessary evil.

I prefer the nail knot but use both.

I like the loop to loop. I've read that the nail knot provides a better connection to the fly line for energy transfer, but its never been an issue for me. I change leader frequently for different applications. I use a specialized leader for small stream, dry fly, nymph, and streamer fishing. Being able to swap out quickly is very helpful. I generally use the the manufacturers welded loop. If the welded loop breaks down and the line still has life left in it, I either make my own loop or use the braided loop. I don't really think one method is better than the other, its all personal preference.

I nail knot (with Pliobond) to leader butt that I trim back for changing entire leaders, like pcray.

My new labor saver on this issue is Angler's Image tippet rings. And those mini swivels made by Tsunami, for bulky streamers like sculpins.

Back