Medalists

Baron

Baron

Talk to me!
Is anyone using an Akron Built 1495 or 1495 1/2./
What does the 1/2 imply?
What would be the best model for an all purpose 5wt?
Are South Bend Finalists the same reels and/or are they smooth and durable clickers?

1495 1/2 is bigger. 1495 is big for a 5 weight this is more 678 range 1495 1/2 is 789 range.

1495 would work with 5wt line but with a wf5wt you'd probably need a couple hundred yards of backing. Sb finalist is fine as well. Similar reel.

Do yourself a favor and get a martin mg 3 ss. Much better reel for similar price imo. And a much better size for a 5 weight.

Keep taking. Splain yourself Moon. I know you like them both but strongly favor Martin. What parts or features are better?

I fish a 6DT on my 1494 so for a 5wt reel, a 1494 is ideal. A 1494 is also heavier than a Martin, if that matters.

Agree 1495 is a bit large for a 5 wt. the 1495 and 1495 1/2 are The same diameter spool but 1495 1/2 is wider for greater line capacity. Very similar weight. I fish a Shakespeare Omni 44 Which is identical to the Medalist 1494, so smaller than the 1495. I could fit 200 yds of backing and a DT5 on the Omni 44. These reels are great for capacity. Btw, Shakespeare purchased Pflueger in the mid 60s so the Omni is just a re-badged Medalist.

The Medalist and the Martin MG3 have very different drag mechanisms, that is to say that the Medalist actually has a drag mechanism whereas the Martin has a high quality coil spring activated pressurized click and pawl mechanism. Yeah, I suppose that description will work for now. Both are great for trout and bass, though the Medalist is stout enough to handle salt water fish, or so I am told.

Are there enough after market parts and or options to keep them running? I’m new enough to FF that I am still driven by the cool factor or charmingness of certain brands. My favorite of the two for looks is the pfluger. Maybe I should get both......divide and conquer. I do plan to fish salt with this next setup. So maybe the pflueger will be better.
I hate to give Bam too much credit( Himmel’s being a neighbor and all) so I have to ask: is the 1494 the sweet spot? And for the Martin mg 3 as?

Moon, why did you suggest the MG 3 instead of the 67 or 48 or any other number of models by Martin. Was it affordability on the used market? Or was it for the ease of maintenance and repair?

If I were just a little more of a sucker I'd become more closely involved with automatics. Those little Martin Autos look fun.

moon1284 wrote:
1495 1/2 is bigger. 1495 is big for a 5 weight this is more 678 range 1495 1/2 is 789 range.

1495 would work with 5wt line but with a wf5wt you'd probably need a couple hundred yards of backing. Sb finalist is fine as well. Similar reel.

Do yourself a favor and get a martin mg 3 ss. Much better reel for similar price imo. And a much better size for a 5 weight.

Baron wrote:
Are there enough after market parts and or options to keep them running?
There are no aftermarket parts available for the Martin and I'm not even sure about replacement parts. Most likely, if a part breaks you have to buy another reel for parts or another reel.

But who is to say it will break?

Obviously there are aftermarket upgrade/replacement parts for the Medalist and SOME factory replacement parts.

The 1494 is a sweet spot for a trout/panfish reel, maybe not so much for other species where you want a heavier line or more backing. Then you go up to a 1494-1/2 or a 1495, etc.

BTW - It is also technically a wide arbor reel as well.

Isnt wide arbor more prone to stacking?

I now have a nice heavy rod/reel combo. This next setup will be for mid-sized fishies.
I wanted a Battenkill III. But the more I learned the less impress I was. This is due to the fact that it was not really a model so much as a brand that everyone under the sun made for them and with many changes it would seem. Yes Furthermore they hold their value so well and are not often down where I am. The pfluegers are.

A Medalist is so iconic (and I hate that word) that everyone should own one, even if it is sitting on display.

A 1494 is a great size for a 5 or 6wt freshwater set-up and readily available used with MANY in "as new condition" if you are patient enough to wait until one comes up. :roll:

My problem is that I like them all. Moon was shooting off about Martin mg 3. They're awesome. Some of the South Bend I found are at least nice to look at and indeed are typical for the era.
The Medalists line-up offers a bit more, it would seem, in the area support groups and aftermarket parts. The beauty is, unlike many cool collector reels, most Medalist owners actively use and promote their use.
PennKev Nailed it in some ways to say that "I'm overthinking it". However, after 55 years of fishing with a can of worms and a #6hook at the end of a poorly cared for spinning combo, I finally have the time in my schedule and the heart-felt desire to learn. This past year has been an eye-opener to me. Furthermore I found a group whom are a little further along the same path that will tolerate me and move me along in the right direction.
As far as learning and having fun in the outdoors it has been the best year of my 62 years.

Baron. I know you are aware of the Fiberglass Fly Rodder website, so I would suggest you spend some more time there reading their classic reel forum. There you will find a wealth Of info about the Medalists and the Martins and a pile of other classic brands. Besides owning and fishing a couple of classics, most of what I know about these great old reels I learned there, and a few other sites.

Yes they have been very helpful. Got my expectations set on 1494-1495. Thanks.

Allot has changed. Online Auction House has sent me allot of Medalists. Now I can clean them all up and sell what I don't want. My favorite is the 1492 while the 1494 will be the workhorse. I'll probably keep The 1495 1/2 for saltwater. Here they are:

Attachments

• IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice haul

Back