Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Maintaining bamboo rods.

From harlansburg
I've fixed them, but it was years ago, and heck if I can remember what glue I used!! I think it was 2 part epoxy, but not the 5 minute stuff, I tried to get it in all the nooks and crannies of the spinter, then put everything back where it belongs, and wrap it up with a lightweight cotton string, put it in some sort of jig to hold it all straight. after the epoxy dries, remove the string andsand off the excess, do your white silk overwrap, finish with varnish of your choice, no color preserver and the silk will vanish.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 6:19

From Other side of the tracks
Yes, the white silk thread does disappear. I repaired one years ago and I still have some white silk winding thread. But that "repair" eventually failed because I really didn't know what I was doing.

I understand that the rule of thumb is faster drying epoxy is more brittle when fully cured than the slow stuff. Slow curing is more flexible. I still have some from years ago and it is in glass jars (2 part). It was expensive commercial grade stuff that normally is only sold in fairly large quantities, but the company was nice enough to send a free sample when I told them what I needed it for.

I think I will try using that. The only issue I see is the stuff might be a little on the thick side from age (won't flow into all the cracks very well).

Oh well, if it doesn't hold, I can always replace the whole section or do a scarf joint. Plenty of old material to match it to and if not, I know bikerfish has some and I know roughly where he lives.

Thanks for the advice, and if there are any other suggestions on what glue to use, pleases feel free.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 7:22

From SEPA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
The only issue I see is the stuff might be a little on the thick side from age (won't flow into all the cracks very well).

Mix it in a cup, and keep the cup in a hot water bath during mix and application.

Should keep it a bit more fluid.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 10:11

Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
The only issue I see is the stuff might be a little on the thick side from age (won't flow into all the cracks very well).

Mix it in a cup, and keep the cup in a hot water bath during mix and application.

Should keep it a bit more fluid.

Was planning on preheating both parts before mixing them. I figured it can't hurt. Also like your Dixie Cup idea.

Preheating the cane should help as well.

I sure hope the stuff is still good. Haven't checked.

I'll do a test run on something else first.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 11:39

From Berryville Virginia
Dave,

I'm a fan of the 5 min epoxy but not on rod repairs. Use Shell Epon or tightbond III and wrap with white silk. If you can glue each of the splints down it can be a pain seperating them but worth it in the long run. Joe E

Posted on: 2013/11/19 8:29

Joe, I was wondering if I could get away with Tighbond III. Apparently so. A plus there is it dries dark and would match the existing visible glue joints.

If you had both, which I do, which would you use?

Titebond would be a lot less messy, but what I want is what is best.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 14:07

From Berryville Virginia
Dave,

I have used both for repairs and both are holding up. So Titebond III will work just fine.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/11/19 14:28

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Dave,

Tests have shown Titebond III to be nearly as strong as epoxy. The only area epoxy has an advantage is in gap filling.

A good clean joint glued with a modern PVA glue is much stronger than the wood being glued.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 17:15

Great information, thanks.

I'm guessing there will be some gaps, and if so, that will be the deciding factor.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 8:59

From Berryville Virginia
Dave,

You will still need to bind and lghtly sand before the white silk.

Joe. E

Posted on: 2013/11/20 10:29

Quote:

JoeE wrote:
Dave,

You will still need to bind and lghtly sand before the white silk.

Joe. E

OK, let me see if I got this right.

1. Glue, and get it in all the nooks and crannies.
2. Bind it with cotton string (per bikerfish). I'm assuming fairly heavy stuff.
3. Once dry, remove the cotton as best I can (will likely need razor blade.
4. Sand lightly, being cautious not to sand into the power fibers.
5. Wrap white silk
6. A couple times in the dip tank (varnish).

I might be off a couple weeks over Christmas (my choice) and will do this to avoid being bored out of my skull.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 12:46

From Berryville Virginia
Dave,
Do Not use a razor blade on the cotton binding string (some do) because you rise the chance on cutting into the rod or edge. The cotton binding string will sand off in a few strokes with 220 grit sand paper just use a sanding block and hold flat use the corners of the sanding block so you can see what you are sanding.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/11/21 10:11

You must use skinnier cotton string than I was planning. That's OK, I can steal some thinner cotton thread from the kitchen right after I am done stuffing and sowing up the turkey next week.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 10:37

From Berryville Virginia
Dave,

I'll send you some. Just PM me your mailing address.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/11/21 10:55

Quote:

JoeE wrote:
Dave,

I'll send you some. Just PM me your mailing address.

Joe E

You don't have to do that, but OK.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 11:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com