Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Made in America or ...........

Quantity
Spinning rods-which are almost as expensive to make now days because of the need for hardened guides[braided line] are quite a bit lower priced.
I have decided to spend my $250 return on a grossly over priced spinning rod to help the economy[yeah,right]
It will be around $265 plus shipping
same level in a fly-rod $650 so they are and always have-sticking it to long rodders.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:34

From bucks cty
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

yes, many do so watch what you say.

Yes but they are all single shots!

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:09

From bucks cty
All things being equal I might consider paying 10% or so more for an American made product. To me the rod is a tool and I don't have a problem paying a lot for a good tool. That said my most expensive rod is a spinning rod that I paid $300 for. Worth every penny because I can feel every pebble on the bottom and strikes I never felt with my other equipment when bass fishing.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:14

From Enola, PA
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
I wish more companies asked what we wanted before they mass produced. They would save a ton of money and make more. W&J has a new magnetic pac. Something I didn't ask for but am curious as to the additional weight and convenience. Might just check it out.

My guess is that WJ did use customer feedback for these packs, When I first saw them i immediately realized the benefits. Having owned two WJ pacsk and dealing with line getting caught on zipper pulls the magnets are genius. The magnets are also superior to velcro, which has no place on hunting/fishing items.

As for the original question, for me the Made in USA factor would come into play in a final decision - 2 rods, similar specs, similar prices i go with the US made rod. My last two rods were "made" in the USA by a custom builder, but i dont know where the components came from.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 9:57

uhh...nevermind

Quote:

tabasco_joe wrote:
All things being equal I might consider paying 10% or so more for an American made product. To me the rod is a tool and I don't have a problem paying a lot for a good tool. That said my most expensive rod is a spinning rod that I paid $300 for. Worth every penny because I can feel every pebble on the bottom and strikes I never felt with my other equipment when bass fishing.

Yes but there is also an old saying "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:57

From Pittsburgh
i think this same issue is the demise of the small fly shop outfits....so many people are worried about a deal. well certain are worth more than a deal, the old timer at the shop who wont be there spreading his knowledge anymore is priceless...

Posted on: 2009/4/8 10:10

MGstick- are you a Winston fan?

Posted on: 2009/4/8 13:44

From South Central PA
If you ever get a chance to read Serious Flyfishing, a self-published book by a guy named John Waite, it is a really fun, highly opinionated rant on the excesses of the fly tackle industry, and particularly on high end rods and lines. It is as if venom drips from every page.

Sage fans should avoid reading it.

More to the point of this thread, he even has a basic attitude toward economics and applies it to fly tackle, in that too many people willingly paying too much is harmful for the whole and for progress in general.

He was a fan of Fenwick and Hardy, though I have to wonder how he would feel about the latter now with their $900 reel and the former with their offshoring of production.

Can the research, materials, manufacturing setup and labor for a $60 line really be that much more than for a $20 line? That kind of thing gets thorough treatment.

I think he takes things too far but there are some really catchy ideas.

I read it about 10 years ago from the library and will never forget his "voice."

As to the "U.S. vs. Them" issue, I don't need anything but when I do I tend to go with US made, though nowadays largely via the used marketplace. If people strapped for cash need to unload some tackle, I think it is a good thing to buy from them.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 14:22

From Pittsburgh
"MGstick- are you a Winston fan?"

if i could afford them im sure i would be........the name refers to my truck, it could be used because its a 5 speed and related to fishing sticks....

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:55

From Johnstown, PA
Being an ex-steelworker y'all know what i'm gonna say. BUY AMERICAN !!!!

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:25

From SEPA
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Being an ex-steelworker y'all know what i'm gonna say. BUY AMERICAN !!!!

Not to belittle your opinion (I tend to agree with it), but what defines American?

Am I buying American when I buy a GM car built with 65% NAFTA parts, but its assembled in Mexico? How about if its Canada? Or is it if its from the US?

What about a Honda? My Honda is 65% American sourced parts, and built in Ohio? But, profits go back to a multinational in Japan. American?

There in is a problem with a banner statement of, "Buy American!" anymore... Multinationals no longer make it so cut and dry.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:35

From Johnstown, PA
gfen.......you are absolutely right about it being very grey but......it seems to me from what you've already said, you do pay attention to what you are buying and that is all we can really do and I want to thank you for that

Posted on: 2009/4/11 8:28

From Pittsburgh
just bought a bauer reel instead of a jap companion reel.

i guess more nowadays is that its an American "owned" company not just a distributor like "orvis"

Posted on: 2009/4/13 14:36

From Naples, Florida
I prefer american, but honestly if the product is good it doesnt matter. I have about half US stuff, half overseas stuff. The overseas stuff I have is of fantastic quality (cabelas, albright, redington, powell)

Paul W

Posted on: 2009/4/14 0:36

From SEPA
Quote:

osprey wrote:
gfen.......you are absolutely right about it being very grey but......it seems to me from what you've already said, you do pay attention to what you are buying and that is all we can really do and I want to thank you for that

It all depends, really. I'm not above saving money by buying offshore, also. I do my best to recognize quality, whether it be in individual craftmanship or even in quality control (ie, low cost Korean goods).

I'll tell you what, I did get pretty miffed when I bought a set of Dr. Slick scissors only to find out they're Pakistani steel. That bugs me, I think because I was raised in Bethlehem in the shadow of the mills, to see thnigs like cutlerly made out of anything other than American steel.

Silly? Probably. Don't care, though. That's a place I'd have paid extra for 100% American, though.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 8:42

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com