Made in America????

P

Peterm

After ten years of exile in Florida, I've recently moved back to. Pa..... I am in the process of restoring FF arsenal. alot of the gear I m looking at is pretty Sweet and hard to decide on so the final decisions for me comes down to is it made in America.... Unfortunately none of it is.!!! Bottom line I want the best bang for my buck..... But are there any manufacturers. Actually in America????

Welcome back to PA.

Rods made in the USA (at least the higher end models):

Sage
Winston
Orvis
Scott
St. Croix

The higher end orvis rods are made in the factory behind their flagship store in Manchester. The guides are attached by hand by a couple of dozen men and women who work from home. Take the tour if you are in the area. Yes, USA still makes some things.

Peterm wrote:
After ten years of exile in Florida, I've recently moved back to. Pa..... I am in the process of restoring FF arsenal. alot of the gear I m looking at is pretty Sweet and hard to decide on so the final decisions for me comes down to is it made in America.... Unfortunately none of it is.!!! Bottom line I want the best bang for my buck..... But are there any manufacturers. Actually in America????

Many fly rods are made in the USA.

For example, all Sage rods are made in the US. And Sage has some very good rods in the moderate price ranges.

From their website: "Where are Sage rods made?

All Sage rods are made at our manufacturing facility on Bainbridge Island, in Washington state, USA."

With your criteria: 1) Made in USA 2) Good value, I recommend checking out the lower priced Sage rods.

Many PA fly shops carry them.

Now that is a little disturbing because I was in an Orvis dealer store who also carried TFO rods and when I noticed that the TFO rod have a "Made in. KOREA " sticker the salesman (not the owner) specifically told me Orvis rods were made in China..... Since I really like this shop I'm going to assume he was just misinformed......

Waterworks-Lamson Reels nearly 100 percent U.S. made, not just assembled but the machined parts as well. At least that's what they say:

Waterworks-Lamson FAQ's

Reshoring is just getting started so expect more brands to shift here.

Sage makes ALL their rods here.

The other big companies, including Orvis, tend to make their high end rods in the US, and their low priced rods overseas.

It would take some research to find out models are which. You might check their websites.

But, to keep it simple, just check out the Sage models. All made in the US. Available at reasonable prices as well as high end. And very good casting rods.

Peterm wrote:
Now that is a little disturbing because I was in an Orvis dealer store who also carried TFO rods and when I noticed that the TFO rod have a "Made in. KOREA " sticker the salesman (not the owner) specifically told me Orvis rods were made in China..... Since I really like this shop I'm going to assume he was just misinformed......

All the above rod mfg I listed are still made in the US.

To answer you question about Orvis, here is a link to the Orvis line of rods:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=3290

No research needed. Orivs Streamline, Clearwater and Frequent Flyer (travel rods) are close to the $200 price point and clearly marked as imported.

All other rods Orvis rods - Access, Superfine, Helios, and Helios2 are made in the USA.

Bauer reels
Abel reels
Thomas & Thomas

In addition to what everyone else has already said, I haven't seen anything about Ross Reels. From their website:
"EVERY Ross product is designed, engineered and quality checked at our facility in Montrose, Colorado USA."

Nice U.S. made reels.

trout, that sounds like they designed and engineer specs, send to foreign manufacturer, then check specs again when it/they are returned. "Made In USA" is the operative words to confirm manufacture within our borders. Anyhow, if you care about that, there is this.

Call me 'unamerican' if you please. But I don't care where my products are made. Don't get me wrong I have gear that was made in the USA. I don't see any difference in the quality as something from the same company made overseas.

I support small, local or regional company's that are truly 'made in America'.

Simm's waders are made in the US (although some of the other things they sell aren't.)

redietz wrote:
Simm's waders are made in the US (although some of the other things they sell aren't.)

False. I have a pair if headwater waist high waders made in America. Just picked up a pair of freestone waist highs. Made in Korea or some where like that. There very high end stuff is made in America. Apperantly. But I really don't care where it's made. Made here or there its still high quality products.

Ya, it looks like their higher end models are "made in the USA," but like other companies, the lower end models are not.

Good for you for trying to buy American-made products. I think all the rod choices you were given are good ones. I, too, finally bought a pair of Simms waders, the next-to-cheapest (they were still pretty darned expensive) pair, and they were made in America. I think only the least expensive ones are not made in the USA.
Anyhow, good luck in coming up with American-made stuff, and good for you for trying.

I prefer to buy made in America or England, but it has minor influence when I'm making a purchase decision.

don't forget,eagle claw hooks are made in the USA.a great option for tyers !

also,there are tons of american,even pennsylvanian ,bamboo rod makers.

Back