HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Made in America????

From Upper Bucks
Quote:

redietz wrote:
Simm's waders are made in the US (although some of the other things they sell aren't.)

Only their Gore Tex waders are made in the USA.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 9:31

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Quite a few rods are "Made in America" of imported parts.

Very true.

Heck, every rod with a cork grip is made of imported material (Portugal and Spain) but lets face it, the bias is against Asian parts and production. Parts and production from western nations is coveted. Whether it be for political, racial, or sentimental reasons, we prefer to have people "like us" making our stuff. Particularly when it is something we use during a pastime that we identify with our culture and heritage.

I love to have made in the USA when possible but when it comes to low end stuff, the difference in performance is negligible if not slanted in favor of the imports. Made in the USA does not mean "better" at the low price points. For instance, there are many other rods I'd choose over a low end Sage because they offer better performance, more features, and even better quality.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/3/11 9:49

From Dauphin PA
Galvan reels are US made.

I think someone pointed out earlier.... Ross reels (US) & Ross Worldwide (Other).

Posted on: 2013/3/11 11:40

From Clinton County, Pa.
Richardson and Downs chest fly boxes are made in Pennsylvania. Both are top quality.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 17:49

From PA and NH
My sister sent me a cryptic text asking me what specifications I would ask for in a sage rod. This came after a visit from her and my niece last week when I took them out forthe day to look at schools. I'll keep an eye on the mailbox. She lives on Bainbridge island!

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:22

From harlansburg
Mcfarland glass rods are rolled by Mike himself, at his shop in Tyrone. Steffan bros Glass rods are made in Arizona. South Fork glass rods are made by Dave Redington(yes, that Redington) and his wife in Florida.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:24

From Lewisberry, PA
Check out vedavoo.com
Cool stuff, made in the USA, from US materials.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 19:36

From Cato, NY
Quote:

Peterm wrote:
After ten years of exile in Florida, I've recently moved back to. Pa..... I am in the process of restoring FF arsenal. alot of the gear I m looking at is pretty Sweet and hard to decide on so the final decisions for me comes down to is it made in America.... Unfortunately none of it is.!!! Bottom line I want the best bang for my buck..... But are there any manufacturers. Actually in America????

I smell what you are stepping in but as others have noted there are some good USA companies out there and I will list a few that I use and trust.

1. Filson - There logo is you might as well have the best and as far as I'm concerned they are.

2. Hatch reels - amazing piece of equipment - buy one and your done for life

3. Ross Reels - I don't have one but if I didn't have a hatch I would

4. Top end Orvis rods are great

5. High end simms waders I believe are USA made

Posted on: 2013/3/12 7:54

I think Blue Ribbon nets and Brodin nets are US made - can anyone verify that?

Posted on: 2013/3/12 17:43

From State College
Low end Sage doesn't compare to same price point orvis.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 19:36

From York, PA
Quote:

4. Top end Orvis rods are great

I agree. I have a Helios, and it was made in the USA.

It's the lightest rod in the world. Has the best taper, best plastic, best cork, and best titanium flex guides. The rod is a pleasure to cast ..... and fight fish with.

Orvis is also the best company in the world! I purchased a Superfine 1wt (where I got my name) a few years ago...... and I broke it four times. Orvis never asked me a question, and replaced the rod every time. The forth time I sent them a couple bucks to upgrade to a Helios and never looked back!

Two weeks later, Orvis sent me my repaired 1wt at no charge. I sold it to someone (on another fly fishing forum) for more than my Helios upgrade!

I love Orvis! My Sonic seam waders were made in China (best waders available IMHO) but that's OK with me.

I'm only going to buy fly stuff direct from Orvis for the rest of my life! I love their web site and the catalogs they send me all the time.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 20:50

From West Virginia
Yeah Vedavoo is awesome products designed and made right here in the USA!! They stay true to their roots.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 0:12

Nothing is 100 percent made in America. Open up your simms pack and enjoy the made in china tag on the inside. Orvis made in America? Try "Designed" in America, like there site say... Some components on every "USA" made rod comes straight from over seas. There is nothing wrong with using a product made over seas as they tend to take pride in there work if given detailed instruction and create tons of jobs here in America. Ill take pride in a USA made product when it does not cost $800 for a fly rod, turning scam percent profit margins on there customers. People need to realize America runs off of jobs created because of productivity over seas.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 1:42

From Ephrata, PA
My Fenwick is made in the USA! So are most of my reels (old Medalist, Martins, Ocean Cities, but I do have a Korean-I think-made Medalist in the mix too).

Posted on: 2013/3/13 10:08

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'll throw my hat in this ring as an owner of a company who has foreign made products offered to the public. The main reason I did so is cost. I can't afford to have these products right now made in the US and sell them at the price point I have them. The manufacturing of my products is top quality and I feel confident that they will compare to other companies products but at a much lower price. If I thought there was a drop off in quality up against the competition, then I wouldn't run the business that way.

One aspect I tell people is that I AM an American company. So yes you are supporting overseas manufacturing, but also supporting an American company in the process.

I know that American made products are important to some people and I do plan on having a few items made here in the states (wooden fly boxes coming soon), but when the mission statement of my company is to offer top quality products at reasonable products, that's impossible to fit a whole spectrum of products all made here in the states.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 11:17

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com