MUCILIN

S

steve98

Just read an article in TROUT mag. from TU on this stuff.
Want to know if anyone uses this stuff on todays fly lines. I have in the past and am not sure if I should still use it. What do you guys/gals think.

Steve98

I use it on my leader not fly line

Last thing I recall reading about Mucilin was that Scientific Anglers went out of their way to specify that anglers NOT use it on their lines. Been a while so maybe there's been updated info.

I use red tin mucilin all the time, but I'm fishing silk lines a vast majority of the time, not plastic. I occasionaly use Loon something or other line cleaner/treatment on the couple of plastic lines I do sometimes fish with. Have never used mucilin on the plastic lines.

Like Mcwillja I use the green stuff to float my sighter.

I use the green on leaders and tippets, not the line. Just make sure the line is clean before each outing.

i use it on the dry fly, i use sinkant on the tippet. thats it...

I use it on my leader, but not on the fly line.

When mixed with lighter fluid, it makes a dynamite dunk the whole fly in floatant.

I use it on leaders but I also do not hesitate to grease up to the last 10ft or so of line if it starts to sink. When "modern" lines stop having tips that eventually sink, I'll stop using it. Having a high floating line makes mending much easier in my experience. It out ways the possibility of ruining a line, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

The tips of my DT lines don't sink. Just sayin...

I have used the Green Mucilin in the past and liked it. The last container I bought was plastic and the lid broke within 2 or 3 trips. I much preferred the metal tins it used to come in.

geebee wrote:

What about your WF lines? Lol.

i use red tin on silk lines.

i use albolene on plastic lines.

i use both on leaders and flies

PennKev wrote:
geebee wrote:

What about your WF lines? Lol.

they sink, that's why i don't use them on streams - great for nymphing lakes and the salt, but i always found that after a number of trips the first 6" would sink.

DT's i don't have an issue with - never treat the line. they last maybe 2 years then i switch them round.

imho if your having to treat your fly line, you either need a new one or its the wrong type, in which case you need a new one too...

I found a bottle of sinkant on the side of a stream. It seems to work when added to a nymph and tippet. I don't like the oily sheen it leaves, just like Gink floatant. That's another reason I like the mucillin. There's no oily sheen on the water. In reality, I doubt the sheen matters, though.

geebee wrote:
[
they sink, that's why i don't use them on streams - great for nymphing lakes and the salt, but i always found that after a number of trips the first 6" would sink.

DT's i don't have an issue with - never treat the line. they last maybe 2 years then i switch them round.

imho if your having to treat your fly line, you either need a new one or its the wrong type, in which case you need a new one too...

You truly believe this? That the taper of the line affects how well it floats?

That the thicker middle portion of a DT line somehow makes the last few inches float better? That the thinner running line section of a WF line makes the last few inches tend to sink?

You may very well have had better luck with your DT lines, but I can't say that I agree with your idea of DT's being inherently better floating lines. It makes no sense.

PennKev wrote:
geebee wrote:
[

You truly believe this? That the taper of the line affects how well it floats?

That the thicker middle portion of a DT line somehow makes the last few inches float better? That the thinner running line section of a WF line makes the last few inches tend to sink?

You may very well have had better luck with your DT lines, but I can't say that I agree with your idea of DT's being inherently better floating lines. It makes no sense.

+1 to PK

Same front taper except WF narrows to a running line.

Attachments

• DTvs WF.JPG
    DTvs WF.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 2
Me thinks your line is cracked.

afishinado wrote:
+1 to PK

Same front taper except WF narrows to a running line.

i think that diagram is a little simplistic - the first 10ft of a WF must weight more than a DT right ?

btw - to answer the tippet question - i use Snake River Mud from Loon on the last 12" of a dry fly tippet.

Back