« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Looking for a nice reel

From Berryville Virginia
IMO Orvis Battenkill

Joe E

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:49

jon,

Let us know what you end up getting. I'll be curious to see which reel catches the fisherman.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 11:46

From SEPA
FWIW, I think its important to buy something that you think is appealing to you, as well. Be it brand, or visuals, or both. If you're of the belief you've bought an inferior product, you'll never be completely satisfied. To this, I offer up my own personal feelings on a Cabela's branded reel (well, actually, any of their branded stuff I own). I know its as good as anyone elses, its certainly cheaper and it (was) backed up by a warranty that (was) among the best, but y'know, I don't like it. There's something about it that sort of strikes at my vanity. Case in point, as I prepare for a trip to the shore tomorrow, I looked at my three rods (all Cabela's branded), and two of the three reels, and realized that I felt a little silly. Is it any less capable? No! Not in the slightest, but I don't like it anyways.

And something about using an item with the word "Bass Pro Shop" on it burns me at my core, that's not even a store name, its a description. I can't do it. Yes, its pure and complete vanity, but it affects me none the less.

Although, the point of my earlier post is that you don't need to be suckered in by high cost for exotic features, pure simplicity and ruggedness is every bit as important, as well as the fact that you know its a tool and won't cringe every time you sit it down on a rock that it might get marred.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 12:16

From Eastern PA
Quote:
The website price and store price are very different. I got the Watershed for $99 and it was $199 in store. Website was running a special. I'm really pleased with the reel. If I were going to spend 150 for a Watershed or a Rhythm, I'd get the Rhythm just for the warranty.

Cabelas warranty is just as good if not better than Ross. Just walk in the store with a complaint and they give you a new one or you money back for lifetime.

Quote:
You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't consider the Orvis Large Arbor. I've put mine thru hell without a hiccup. Best warranty in the biz. Sealed drag or not, don't let some internet buzzword turn you off from a great product. Its lightweight, dependable and the drag is VERY good. I use them on every rod i own.

Have to disagree on some points with ya on that one. I have 4 BLA's (I,II & III) and a couple of spare spools. I have one spool out of service because it is damaged interior somehow. I can't figure it out. I have to take the spool out and clean the reel occasionally as dirt, sand, etc gets between the frame and the spool causing grinding, gritty sound which I know is not good for it. I would not say this reel handles abuse well as I am pretty darn good to my reels and have these issues. Having said that, the drag works well (if there is no debris in it), it has good tolerances, is very lightweight for the price, looks great and as you mention has an excellent warranty. I just wish I did not have to use the warranty.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 12:48

From Butler
Honestly - take a good look into Allen reels. Like Jay, Im not a big "reel" person and think paying hundreds of dollars for one is a bit ridiculous. I have a season on the alpha reel and LOVE IT! I have it strung up with allen line and it performs just as well as my lamson lightspeed with 70 dollar line : /

Posted on: 2010/7/10 10:27

From on elk creek fishing
Why not the Lamson Konic? Same drag just a bit on the heavy side but all depends on the rod and rod length. I have one and the drag is the same as my lightspeed.
Even the Sage 1600's and 1800's series are very nice.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 12:44

+1 on the Lamsons- I have 2 Velocities, and love them. I would also consider buying a Teton Tioga, if you can find one on eBay. The original company went belly up a couple of years ago. They have started back up, and you can find their new Teton reel (similar design as the old) at Cabela's. Not sure if they are as good as their older reels. http://www.tetonusa.com/

Posted on: 2010/7/10 12:55

From Glenmoore PA
For what its worth, I own a Battenkill BBS II, great reel. Looks nice, functions great, and not too expensive. Is it the best reel on the market no, but it works great and looks good too!

Posted on: 2010/7/10 16:36

From "THE VILLE"
I have a Wright Mcgill plunge 5/6wt. It's a great reel for the $. All aluminium construction.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/7/10 18:03
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Elizabethtown, PA
So I checked out every reel they had and it came down to two reels. The Lamson Konic or the Velocity, I chose the Konic due to its way smaller price tag and some you would say "its just a trout reel" so that's what I told myself. It feels like it's a solid reel and I can't wait to try it. Not the coolest looking thing though... Oh most other reels were way to light in weight.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 19:38

From central bucks
Seem to be some reasonable prices here, including a Velocity 1.5 for $161.00 and some from Orvis.
http://www.flyshopcloseouts.com/cpoin ... =19048&catalogStyleId=528

Posted on: 2010/7/10 22:29

From Chicago, IL
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
I really don't think you need much drag on a 5wt real, sealed or not. if your catching fish that big on a 5wt, you need to step your gear up. saltwater, yep, need killer and indestructible drag. 5wt trout reel, nothing but a line holder.

I disagree with those people who say a reel is nothing more than a line holder on a 5wt. I generally fish a 5 wt. on larger bodies of water or when throwing larger bugs or streamers on smaller water. One exception is wind, when I will use it for smaller streams. When you have that 20+ inch trout slam something without a drag and it drags out line fast before you get a chance to palm it or whatever method you plan on using you will realize the value of a good drag system - and you'll remember those fish for the rest of your life :) Just ask me how I know. lol.

I'll second those Lamson's. Not as pretty as some of them but they do have that drag system that is very good.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 17:58

From harlansburg
so tell us, where do you regularly catch 20" trout!!?? your streams have much bigger fish than my streams!

Posted on: 2010/7/12 7:09

From Eastern PA
Quote:
so tell us, where do you regularly catch 20" trout!!?? your streams have much bigger fish than my streams!

A 20" fish is nice, but not that unusual. However, it would seem that if they are that rare in your neck of the woods you would certainly want to insure that you catch it by having a good drag system, no?

Posted on: 2010/7/12 17:49

From Suburban Pittsburgh
biker, I was with ConMan that day on Neshannock and he rolled over and had hooked into a big fish. I saw a significant bend in his rod, heard the reel sing and got a pretty good look at the fish as he was fighting it. Can't say the exact size but I know it was big, especially compared to the above average trout on Neshannock. Screeming reel, then....poof! That fish smoked his reel. He's still agonizing over that fish and disgusted with the reel. LOL

I know there's differences of opinon on this here as this has been a topic of conversation numerous times. Here's my 2 cents...I can probably count on one hand the number of trout on one hand that I've landed that measured over 20 inches. A reel may be a place to hold my line, but in the event that I hook into that special fish, I want to have some insurance that I have a means to bring it to hand!

Posted on: 2010/7/12 23:22

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com