Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Looking for a nice reel

From Elizabethtown, PA
Jdaddy,

I didn't like the Ross Rhythm as much as other reels but maybe my opinion will change when I actually see it. The Evolution is quite pricey I do agree on that. The Lamson Konic seems pretty nice though, I like that it has the same drag as one of my favorite reels.

Would Lamson fit into the dependable company category? Ive never had any problems with mine but then again Ive only used it a few times.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:01

i can vouch for Allen & Co Reels. I have had a problem and Justin(owner) is/was all over it.. You could probably get away with calling him at 3am and he will fix what ever problem you have or question..

the reel i have the trout 5/7 I won at the Jam. It was one of the originals. I know he completely revamped the trout series so any problem i have had should be fixed.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:34

From Clinton County, Pa.
Check out the Ross CLA 2 (Cimarron Large Arbor) Retails about $185. This reel weighs in at 4.7 oz. I have one of these and the finish is very tough. Mine still looks new even after several seasons on the water. It is American made and still in production.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 23:10

Jon,

If you are going to Cabelas on Friday, look on the website before you leave. If you see any deal or something in the bargain cave link, print it out. They will price match in the store if they have the item or order it for you. The website price and store price are very different. I got the Watershed for $99 and it was $199 in store. Website was running a special. I'm really pleased with the reel. If I were going to spend 150 for a Watershed or a Rhythm, I'd get the Rhythm just for the warranty.

The Evolution is an sweet reel. They claim to be the lightest in the class. I have the older models and there are some differences between those and the LT's. The LT model has all metal parts where the older ones had plastic drag knob and spool release. Since th porting is done differently, it's actually cheaper than the previous models. Biker is also right on drag... if you aren't fishing light tippets and big fish that willl make runs, the drag isn't going to help you that much. You hook a steelie on your 5 wt, you'll wish that you had a reel with a great drag system.

I don't like the lamson reels because it's spool is more or less a compression fitting. Not that it will pop off but I just don't like that idea. I also believe that they are cast and not milled from a solid piece of metal. That's a huge difference in durability. Most Lamsons I've see (that have been used frequently) looked like they'd been through a war.

Check out that Reddington Rise and Loomis Eastfork when you're there. It'll be like finding the right woman..... you'll know it's "the one" as soon as you lay eyes on her.

I know a guide in Idaho and picked his brain over the winter because, like you, I was on a mission to get the best reel that I could afford. He said "If I were being flown into a remote region for a fishing trip and would have no contact for 14 days, the reel I'd want with me is a Bauer. Never seen one fail or ever had to return one. Second pick would be a tie between a Ross Evolution Galvan OB. Both are simple, solid and proven to last."

Well, the Bauer and Galvan reels are $350 and up. Like I said before, I got 2 Evolutions for close to $150 each on ebay and I think they were super good buys on my part. Take your time when choosing.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 3:08

From Lehigh Valley
In the interest of passing on personal experience....

I own 11 Ross reels - Evolutions, Rhythms, Gunnisons, and a Cimmaron. Haven't had a single mechanical problem with any of them. They're all machined from barstock aluminum, with an anodized finish. Ross's anodizing isn't the most durable finish on the market. They all scratch easily. The older style Evolutions are delicate. Drop one, and you'll see what I mean. The spools are very thin, and bend easily - they then rub on the frame. They're great performance-wise though, and very lightweight. I actually prefer the Rhythms, as they're a little beefier.

I bought a Lamson Litespeed when they first came out. The drag failed - twice. The problem was in the material the Torrington roller clutch was made from - it wasn't corrosion proof. I sold that one on ebay after the second failure was "fixed".

The new Lamsons use a stainless clutch that has been very dependable. Some Lamsons also have a new finish called "hard alox" that is easily the best reel finish available. You can scratch it with a nail, and the finish can be cleaned off with a Scotchbrite pad. It then looks like new. Very tough stuff.

All Lamsons are machined from barstock aluminum, except the Konic. The Konic is pressure cast, then machined. It also doesn't have the hard alox finish, but it's still tougher than Ross's type 3 anodizing.

I too was leery about the way Lamson uses an o-ring to hold the spool on, but it's been proven to hold up. The only problems arise when you change spools a lot. With just occasional spool changes, I haven't had any problems at all. Both Ross and Lamson guarantee their reels for life, but Ross's Worldwide reels have a lesser warranty.

Here's a pretty interesting video about Lamson reels.....

Hope all this helps in your decision, Jon.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 8:17

From West Chester
You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't consider the Orvis Large Arbor. I've put mine thru hell without a hiccup. Best warranty in the biz. Sealed drag or not, don't let some internet buzzword turn you off from a great product. Its lightweight, dependable and the drag is VERY good. I use them on every rod i own.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 10:15

From Bozeman
I wouldn't consider "sealed drag" to be a buzzword.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 10:23

From Chester County

Posted on: 2010/7/8 11:20

Great article afish. That's a lot to digest. Quote that stuck w/ me was...

Synthetic-drag reels most often employ carbon, Delrin, or Rulon plastics (or some combination of these materials) as brake surfaces, backed up by a spring system to maintain tension. Rulon and Delrin are both extremely dense composite plastics, based on fluorocarbon and nylon, respectively. "They last more or less forever," says Orvis's Lepage, "and you don't need to maintain them since they are self-lubricating."

Easy to care for and long lasting. I still have a Hardy Marquis from the early 80's. It's been beat up badly but the click drag is still kicking. I have it displayed on a bookshelf next to a fish carving. Maybe some day I'll take the old gal for a walk again.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:18

From West Chester
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I wouldn't consider "sealed drag" to be a buzzword.

it is now. thanks alot.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:31

From SEPA
I've got an Abel Big Game, and I've got a Pflueger Medalist, and both were bought to use on the 5wt.

They both do the same thing, and do it equally well. Between the two, I prefer the peefloogur 'coz it cost $25 and a spare spool is $10, versus $250 for a spare Abel spool.

I knock it against stuff, I dunk it in water, and I generally don't care.

(full disclosure, the Abel didn't get much use before it got sent back for cosmetic reasons, but I was awful touchy about abusing it, far more than I thought I would when I bought it)

(even fuller disclosure, i'm still waiting to get it back)

(the utmost fullest disclosure, i want it back, damnit, because i bought it for the ocean, and yet i still intend to put the peaflowerger into the salt, it worked for wulff, kreh, and ted williams)

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:00

From Elizabethtown, PA
Sight_Nymph,

Ill take a look at all the reels you mentioned, I wrote them all down. Thanks for the other words of advise.

Heritage-Angler,

Do you think my Lamson Velocity (it's from the year 2005-2006, can't remember) will have the same problem as yours? (not being corrosion proof). That video is really long, I'm still watching it... You'd still vouch for the Konic though? Hows about the Guru?

Afishinado,

That was a really good article, it explained a lot of things and cleared up some stuff for me. Thanks.

To every one else,

There is a lot to consider with so many choices, it's so hard to just pick one! Ill probably check out the reels at the Evening Rise, I'm sure they will have some different reels than Cabelas.

Though having some experience with Lamson and watching that video makes me lean towards them. I'm really going to be open minded about this decision so I'm still considering all the other mentioned reels.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:54

Jay has spot burned 'sealed drags' forever. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:55

From Westmoreland Co
bassist,

Much of the advice that's been given I agree with. I have no experience with the issues HA expressed as I didn't own any lamsons back then. I can tell you now that I've owned (and still own) reels from Redington, Galvan, Lamson, Ross, Pflueger, Teton, Okuma and a few other less well known manufacturers. I currently own 2 of the velocity HA in 3.5 and 4 and the guru in 2. I have nothing but good things to say about these reels.

You can get really technical with the features and functions of the various manufacturers but things to consider. Does it work? Will you have to perform maintenance? Will it stand up to some abuse? Is it backed by a warranty?

Most of higher end reels you can say yes to so the other factor comes down to cost. They're all nice but which is the best bang for your buck? Also remember we're talking about a 5wt rod (correct?) I've had to use drag on trout but it's not the same as needing drag for salmon, steelhead or other larger, more powerful fish.

Lastly I'll restate to make sure it balances your rod well. I'm noticing more and more that these super light highly machined reels don't balance my rods even when loaded with line. I've recently been putting the next reel size up on my rods and have found that the balance is much better as is my overall casting experience. YMMV but something to really consider.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 16:45

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

bassistjon112 wrote:

Heritage-Angler,

Do you think my Lamson Velocity (it's from the year 2005-2006, can't remember) will have the same problem as yours? (not being corrosion proof). That video is really long, I'm still watching it... You'd still vouch for the Konic though? Hows about the Guru?

My first one was older. Lamson switched to the stainless clutches to solve the problem, and it has.

I'd buy a Konic in a New York minute. IMHO - the best reel for the money, period. The Guru has an anodized finish, but it's clear, so you won't notice scratches in the finish as much. It's just too shiny for my tastes. I prefer a more stealthy finish.

If you don't change spools often - which wears on the o-ring that seals the drag - my guess is you'll never mess it up. Lamson recommends putting a tiny bit of grease on the o-ring if you swap spools often. I like the fact that you don't have to back off the drag setting for storage, so as not to develop a set as in most other disc drag reels. Set it, and forget it.

My biggest Litespeed is the reel I use for steelhead fishing. No worries about it freezing up, since the drag is sealed so well. It handles the hard runs of those big fish with ease. Ross uses an external "dog" to engage the drag (4 of 'em on the Evos), and I could easily see that system freezing up in the cold. YMMV

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com