Line wt debate

fishrich

fishrich

For fishing in pa , If you could have one rod line weight what would it be? The reason I ask is I am looking for my first quality rod and I am stuck between 3 and 4 wt. Looking for some pros and con for each one

Thanks
Fishrich

If you like to fish larger streams - ie penns and little j - I'd go with a 5 wght for all around use.
However, if you're pretty much a small stream person, 3-4 wght would be fine. I'd stick with a 4 wght - it'll serve you better on windy days

I'd stick with a 4 or 5 wt first. I got a 3 wt awhile back and don't use it all that often cause the wind blows it around like a sail boat.

if only one rod a 5 wt not doubt
but between 3 or 4 then 4
FC

A 5 weight unless you only fish for trout in small to medium streams, then I'd get a 4 wt. The nice thing about a 5 wt is you can fish the rivers for smallmouth and rock bass as well. Lots of fun. Overall I'd say in Pa a 5wt is the way to go. I'd only do a 3 wt for small native brook trout streams. A 5 wt will launch them.

My everyday rod for local waters is a 7'6" 3wt. I don't really need anything bigger for SE PA unless I plan on throwing streamers which is rare. I also use this rod for brookies in the Adirondacks.

Only Trout

You still didn't mention the streams but if only trout and if fishing SE pa small streams I'd get a 4wt. Everyone has there preference but I don't like to play my trout too long. In the net for me and back in the water. A really good trout on a 3 wt would be outside my landing comfort zone. Everyone is different. I don't care about losing a fish but I don't want to play it longer than necessary. A 3 wt on native brookie streams would suit my purpose better if that's all I fished. Really, before you buy a rod talk to some local shops, figure out where you'll be fishing then give yourself some space to grow. There is no perfect rod for everything. I wouldn't goo too light if this was a first rod. If it was my only rod I'd still buy a 5 wt. Good all purpose rod weight.

5-next year3-then7

pete41 wrote
5-next year3-then7

Yeah, 5, 3, 7, 4, 6, 2, 8. Then there's the whole long/short thiing and the fast/slow thing. You could end up with 24 rods before you're comfortable you have everything covered.

I think I went: 4, 3, 2, 5, 7, then 2 again, then 4 again..........

8,5,5,12,9, ,then the old ones that are like d ,? Never enough rods! Fishing rods to men are like shoes to women .You can only use one at a time ,but fashion dictates a different one for every occasion.

Just my opinion but a 5 weight is probably the most versatile line you can own. It capable of being delicate yet has enough umph, (that a word?), to throw streamers and larger bugs.

Good Luck,
Rolf

I would be in heaven if I had a fly rod to match all of my wife's shoes!

There are large streamers-than there are really large streamers
lol
1/o muddler marabous weighted -now thats a streamer.

I know it would not be a 3wt. I would go with the 4wt with the two choices. But do not overlook a 5wt.

Joe E

albatross wrote:
pete41 wrote
5-next year3-then7

Yeah, 5, 3, 7, 4, 6, 2, 8. Then there's the whole long/short thing and the fast/slow thing. You could end up with 24 rods before you're comfortable you have everything covered.

I think you are only allowed to carry 14 rods in your bag at one time!

My first choice would be a 5 weight since you can punch thru the wind better and throw weighted streamers. (Also small stream smallies and rock bass.)

Back