Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Line to leader

From Ohio
Some of my lines already have a pre-made loop in them which is nice, and the lines that don't I usually just tie on a very short piece of thick mono using a nail knot, then tie on a perfection loop and attach the leader using a loop to loop connection.

I never had any problems with either, but what other options are out there? What about those colored braided line-leader connectors made by Cortland?

Posted on: 2013/1/27 10:54

Re: Line to leader

From New Castle, PA
The braided loops are horrible for use on floating lines IMO. They just collect to much dirt to float in the long term and the spray water when casting. Some people have trouble getting them to stay on securely. I've never had that trouble with them. I use them on sink tips for steelhead ONLY.

My preferred method is putting a small whipped loop in the end of the line for loop-loop connections. I simply fold the tip of the line back on itself, and tie a nail knot around the double fly line to form the loop. A coat or two of head cement finishes the knot off. My whipped loops are tiny, maybe only a 1/4" long at most.

FWIW, I've used the folowing method when I've had worn out my loops and was too lazy to form a new one on the end of the line.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

This is a sheet bend, but the late great Mr. Castwell thought it would be ok to skip research and just name it after himself. At any rate, the knot seems like it may be insecure at first glance but I've landed a hell of a lot of steelhead using it. The biggest advantage of this connection is that you can undo it and remove a leader without having to pull the entire leader through a whipped loop, and thus no need to completely un-rig flies, shot and indicator. This is nice when switching nymphing rigs for euro style techniques.

I still prefer whipping a small loop in the end of the line for most of my lines.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/1/27 11:21

From Chester County
+1. I use a line with a factory loop or make my own loop as PK wrote, above.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 11:26

From Ohio
Whip a loop as PennKev suggested or buy a line with a factory made loop. You can also use UV cure goo products instead of head cement to coat the knots.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 11:38

From Ohio
Thanks for the quick replies! I've tried making my own loop in a line once, but didn't like how it didn't easily reel in past the guides. Maybe I'll just have to try making a smaller one.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 11:52

From harlansburg
after years of using loops, and realizing the butt section of the leader lasts a LONG time, I just tie the leader right to the line with a nail knot. I never change leaders when I fish, I just make adjustments to the one on there. my loop to loop connections were on there so long that they became damn near impossible to remove anyways!

Posted on: 2013/1/27 12:06

From Newville, PA
I'm with biker fish. I use Knot Sense and a UV light to make the none tigon as smooth as possible. I've not tried the method described above to fix a broken loop, but will will give it a shot as the loop on an Orvis 4 wt line separated recently.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 16:20

From Philadelphia PA
Never cared for the store bought leaders - I make my own out of left over lines from my spin casting/baiting casting lines. Mostly Florocarbs. I tried the store bought leaders again this last fall while up at Salmon River and I could not get my presentation down into the strike zone fast enough - so I went back to making my own right away. My combinations for trout fishing are usually a 10lb mono to 6lb Floro to 2 or 4 lb floro. lengths are approx 3' 5' and 3'.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 12:06
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Souderton PA
All of my leaders use the same initial butt section of 0.017 Maxima, so I just nail knot a section of that to the line and blood knot the leader to that. To change I just clip it off and blood knot on the new leader. Eventually I have to clip the line and replace the base section, but it lasts a fairly long time and avoids loops.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 23:53

From Erie, PA
I run a small piece of amnesia about 8 inches to the line with a perfection loop at the end.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 3:59

From LV
I use Orvis braided loop connectors, and never had a problem.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 20:32

i use the castwell knot and never had a problem with slipping. i can tie it faster than putting 2 loop to loops together and the knot is much smaller

pennkev - the castwell knot is not the same as a sheet bend knot. they are similar but different. either will work though.

sheet bend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3reZ3NuGaQ

castwell http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

Posted on: 2013/1/29 23:50

From New Castle, PA
It looks like the only difference between the two links you show is that they are tied in different "directions."

Either way it works well and like you I have not had any trouble when using this sort of connection.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 1:05

in the sheet bend the tag end goes through the loop 1st. in the castwell the tag gooes through last. i've used both and see no difference in the strength of the knot.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:14

From Clinton County, Pa.
I must be old fashioned but I do not like loops. I nail knot the butt section to the flyline. I build all my leaders and adjust them on the water. Under normal conditions I only change the last one to three sections anyway and the butts last a long time. IMO a nail knot flyline to leader connection goes thru the guides on my fly rod easier than any loop.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com