Line Care and Storage.

Millertime

Millertime

What are some things you guys do to prolong the life of your fly line and or keep it in good shape??

I have heard the wrap around the coffee can for storage (less line memory)

I generally don't even do that.

I did find this:
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/flyline_m101/

How often should I be doing this. and is this a good process to follow??

I leave it on the reel.

The only precaution I take is to make sure I don't leave it in a hot car or garage. Otherwise, an occasional cleaning with line speed or something like that is plenty sufficient. I do this every few outings.

There are some people that are real finicky about their line, so I'm sure they will chime in if you want some advice on how to do all that stuff. My point is that I don't think it's necessary.

Just recently, I thought my line was getting filthy. I felt like I couldn't fish again without cleaning it. OldLefty cast the whole line in that state, leaving the backing knot at the stripping guide. I took that as a point well made.

Keep it out of sun and extreme heat, don't put it away wet. So says the guy who stores his rod and reel all the time in his black car, and will always put it away with the line wet. -shrug-

I've been told that modern fly line doesn't really need to be dressed, only cleaned. I've bought little cleaning pads from somewhere, one side has sponge (for cleaner), the other side is kind of rough. I will regularly pull the line through the rough side, I've used some Cortland dressing a time or two on the whole line with the spongey side, and it does seem to restore some life to the line where's kinda dry and cracked at the tip.

I've also used ZipCast a time or two, and it'll definatly let your line zing out for the first portion of the next day.

Finally, you can wash the line in warm, lightly soaped water. Then you can enjoy having to untangle it to spool it back up.

I probably go overkill and am at the opposite extreme but after each use I remove the entire line and wipe it with a wet cotton rag until no more dirt comes off. This can be anywhere from 2 – 6 passes. I then run the line through a dry cotton rag and then hand stretch the line before lightly wrapping it back onto the original plastic spool. It sounds time consuming but takes no more than 5 minutes from start to finish.

Before the next use I lay out the line, stretch it again, and coat my fingers with Mucilin (the red labeled version) and put the line back on the reel.

After about every 15 or so uses and before leaving the stream I will remove the leader and let the line float and unwind itself in the current. I let almost all the fly line out.

The problem is once you’re line starts to get old and beat it really is difficult to bring it back to life. It’s much easier to keep it clean from the beginning. Dirt can be like sandpaper and when a really dirty line is running through the guides you are wearing the outside coating. Once the outside protective coating starts to go, there’s not much you can do.

Yes it may be overkill but I’ve still got 4 sets of Cortland 444 lines that are 35 years old, have seen a lot of use and look/perform almost as good as new.

Back