Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Leaders?

From Montgomery County
For nymphs I typically use 2-3 ft of 25lb maxima 2-3 ft of 12lb mono and a length of tippet. I use blood knots and sometimes a small swivel to connect the mono to the tippet.

Ideally I'll use a hand tied leader for dries or a length of 10lb for streamers but I'm usually lazy and just use whatever I have on at the time.

A good tip on using blood knots for lines that have very different diameters is to just double over the smaller line before tying.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 9:25

From Bozeman
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
one advantage to tying your own leader is adaptation to water conditions , example , if you fish alot of fast deep runs , you can tie a say 5x butt tippet , then 2x , then back to 5x , the thinner softer 5x butt acts like a hinge with the heavier 2x below it , pulls the nymph down deeper quicker

This is incorrect.

The 2x is "heavier", but it doesn't increase sinkrate. Heavier tippets kill sinkrate. Straight 5x would achieve a better sinkrate than your 5x-2x-5x rig. Such a rig would also cause horrible drag.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 9:34

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
How do you guys coil your leaders for storage, like in your leader wallet. I started tying some leaders this year and putting them in left over zip locks and occasionally have issues uncoiling them. I just wrap either end around the whole coil. Just wonder if there's a better way. I have tried to uncoil one and just made a mess of it and didn't bother undoing it.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 10:52

From Montgomery County
Coils are the reason I rarely use hand-tied leaders. I can never get them straight. I typically use just a couple lengths of "fresh" leader material straight from the spool. Seems like once you take the material off the spool the first time, it gets worse and worse the more times you coil it up yourself.

Start at the tippet end and wrap over your fingers until there's a foot of butt end left. Wrap the stiff but end around the leader a few times and there you have it.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 10:59

From Pittsburgh
Ry,

I wrap my leaders around four fingers - then use 2 small pieces of a bread wrapper tie to hold the coils in place. One on each side of the loop.
Then I put them in a leader wallet pouch with a small index card marked with the size.
When I go to use one, I unwrap the coils - very carefully, so that it doesn't tangle. Then run a leader straightener over the sections to remove the coils

One of my buddies stores his leaders on used tippet spools. That way would definitely make things easier, but also take up a little more room in your vest

Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:15

From Gunpowder River, MD
I start with the tippet end, wrapping the leader around three fingers, tucking the looped butt section around the leadr coil several times until secure..

Coils eventually go away in time, but you could try straightening it out with a piece of leather. I wouldn't use rubber though, burns the mono.

Some times coils can help with drag, less line in the water.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:17

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
use 2 small pieces of a bread wrapper tie

You mean a "twistie tie"?? lol

thats atleast what I have always called them

Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:19

From Pittsburgh
yes

Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:25

jayl did u ever try it ? the heavier middle sections pulls the lighter hinge section down quicker , causes no more drag than a tappered leader

Posted on: 2009/10/28 21:43

From Bozeman
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
jayl did u ever try it ? the heavier middle sections pulls the lighter hinge section down quicker , causes no more drag than a tappered leader

I don't use tapered leaders for any subsurface application.

I have experimented with different diameter lines, and found that larger diameters prevent sinking.

My guess is that the increased drag may have pulled your fly down faster, but... well... it's at the expense of increased drag.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 15:30

it seemed to me when i tried it as a friend recommended it , that the thin line up top at the surface cut through the current with less drag and the weight of the heavier mid section helped pull the fly down quicker , i usually use just streight 4lb fluoro for nymphing but it did seem to sink quicker to me

Posted on: 2009/10/29 18:47

From Chester County
My typical nymphing set-up is a short (4’ +/-) furled leader butt that I build, greased with Muscilin, with a straight fluro tippet attached (usually 3x or 4x). The tippet is typically 2x the water depth. The furled leader butt is actually an extension of the fly line. I try to keep the leader on the surface and I use it as my “sighter” for strike detection. Sometimes I’ll swipe some strike putty on the leader for better visibility.

I prefer to use weighted nymphs (2 or 3) but may add or remove small split shot or tungsten putty to fine-tune the drift. In faster, deeper water, when you get your rig balanced properly, you can use the sense of feel as well as sight. It’s really like a Czech nymphing setup. I’m fishing with all tippet in the water, because as Jay pointed out, heavy line in the current will definitely create drag on the flies and also make strike detection tough.

The thing I really like about the whole system is, since I use the same furled leader for fishing dries, I can easy change over and fish the surface without much bother. This furled leader rig really works well for me.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 9:25

I use a 7.5 foot Rio leader (3x) and if streamer fishing add a 2 foot 4x tippet; if nymph fishing I cut the 4x section to 12” and add a 3 - 3.5 foot 5x tippet; and if dry fly fishing I generally tie a 4 foot section of either 5x or 6x directly to the 4x section giving me about an 11 foot leader. If I really have to go to a smaller tippet because of fly size I’ll cut back the 5x/6x section to 12” and then add 3 – 3.5 feet of 7x or 8x and if I really need a long and light leader I will start with a 9 foot Rio leader (2x) and build out to 15 – 18 feet.

As for drag, most of the time when you’re nymph fishing you’re fishing the tippet only. You should be targeting specific small sections of water and not trying to cover as much water as possible. You’ll have much more success fishing a 100 foot section of stream by fishing it in twenty 5 foot sections than five 20 foot sections.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 9:52

From Johnstown, PA
I coil them the same way sundrunk does use four fingers and tuck the loop end around three time they will uncoil just fine as for storage i have an old leader wallet , even has a side for soaking cat gut but i keep it just cause it was my dads , as for storage try manilla coin envelopes , the small ones , you can write on them too and they fit in the pockets of a leader wallet , I use maxima for the whole deal and formulas given to me by Bob Clouser and some i got from reading George Harvey , if you'd like to see some let me know and i'll dig them out and post them. I know Bob wouldn't care that's just the kind of guy he is.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 9:18

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

osprey wrote:
I coil them the same way sundrunk does use four fingers and tuck the loop end around three time they will uncoil just fine as for storage i have an old leader wallet , even has a side for soaking cat gut but i keep it just cause it was my dads , as for storage try manilla coin envelopes , the small ones , you can write on them too and they fit in the pockets of a leader wallet , I use maxima for the whole deal and formulas given to me by Bob Clouser and some i got from reading George Harvey , if you'd like to see some let me know and i'll dig them out and post them. I know Bob wouldn't care that's just the kind of guy he is.

I really like how Bob Clouser loops his butt sections with the mid/tippet. It's nice to just have to tie mid and tippet sections. Clouser leaders are classic big fly tappers...

Posted on: 2009/11/8 11:25

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com