Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Leaders, Dry Flies

From Bozeman
I can furl a leader in under 5 minutes while drunk. It's really not a project at all. In one sitting, you can tie enough for a year.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 12:59

From Montgomery County
I can't even rub one off that quickly after hitting the bottle. Maybe it's not as complicated as it sounds.

I'll let you know how it turns out. The leader...

Posted on: 2010/12/20 13:08

Quote:

jayL wrote:
I can furl a leader in under 5 minutes while drunk. It's really not a project at all. In one sitting, you can tie enough for a year.

Once you get the hang of it, it's cake. I would recommend, on the first step when you're furling the two 'started strands', to attach the tag ends to barrel swivels and keep steady tension on the line. The swivels allow the tag ends to rotate around without becoming tangled in one another while also allowing you te keep contant pressure on the line allowing for a nice even furl.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 13:23

From Gunpowder River, MD
I find knotted leaders depense water more readily than extruded mone tapers.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:11

Hand tied w maxima. I have never tried a furled leader- just did'nt appeal to me because I do not like a loop to loop connect and nail knot my butt on the fly line. Therefore it would be a real chore to switch up leaders for nymph,dry,wet.

Now that I am in the fish the way I want to mode, maybe I will try a furled and just make the LT my defacto dry rod with no possibility of a return.

Here is a picture of a tool that took about 2 minutes to make from a piece of scrap wood and 3 nails- just makes sure the middle nail is loose so you can pull it out and turn it.

I wish someone would have showed me this tool when I first started-it makes blood knots very easy to tie. Even though I can tie blood knots on stream I still use this at home- just makes it easier.

Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  blood knot tool.jpg (975.69 KB)
772_4d0fc84aa6203.jpg 3072X1908 px

Posted on: 2010/12/20 16:19

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Hand tied w maxima. I have never tried a furled leader- just did'nt appeal to me because I do not like a loop to loop connect and nail knot my butt on the fly line. Therefore it would be a real chore to switch up leaders for nymph,dry,wet.

Now that I am in the fish the way I want to mode, maybe I will try a furled and just make the LT my defacto dry rod with no possibility of a return.

Here is a picture of a tool that took about 2 minutes to make from a piece of scrap wood and 3 nails- just makes sure the middle nail is loose so you can pull it out and turn it.

I wish someone would have showed me this tool when I first started-it makes blood knots very easy to tie. Even though I can tie blood knots on stream I still use this at home- just makes it easier.

Good luck.

I remember your knot tool from an earlier post some years before. In the past I forced myself to tie leaders by hand; just because I like doing things the hard way..Now, if I have to, I can construct a leader, stream side, by hand. Having said that I think I'll make my own knot tool for home use. I am sure the knots sit better and it's easier to get the sections right using your tool..

This year I think I'll adopt the Clouser method of looping the butt section, and just tie up mid and tippet sections.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 17:37

From Room 109
Quote:

This year I think I'll adopt the Clouser method of looping the butt section, and just tie up mid and tippet sections.

What is this all about ?

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:20

From Clinton County, Pa.
acristickid, buy yourself a "Dennison" Leader Vise also called a "Blood Knot Tyer". It is a portable handheld version of your Tabletop tool. It is small and handy. I keep mine in the front tray of my Richardson box which I also use as my in stream work station. They are inexpensive at less then $10. Worth every penny! Makes bloodknots childsplay LOL!

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:38

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

Bruno wrote:
Quote:

What is this all about ?

Intersecting loops-between the butt section of the leader and the mid/tippet sections. Bacically a universal leader butt section.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 1:59

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I can furl a leader in under 5 minutes while drunk.

It's really cool to watch drunk and even gain great confidence in ones ability to do the same . . . . just doesn't work out that way.

Quote:
I can't even rub one off that quickly after hitting the bottle. Maybe it's not as complicated as it sounds.

It's a toss up . . . or off . . . or something.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 22:59

From Montgomery County
Well, my first furled leader is done and after I got the hang of it, it came together rather quickly. Instead of using masking tape at the third and fourth segment, I just used a TS knot and went from there. Not sure if I twisted the wrong way after doubling it over, but the thread in the first segment stands out a lot more than it does in the second and third.

Thanks for the "how to" afish. It definately turns over nicely when casted by hand.

I tried a couple times before attaching the ends to swivels on the back of a chair... which made the process much easier. I'd also suggest not doing this over carpet as the leader ate up the fibers and looked as though I touch dubbed the entire thing. lol. Either that, or its time I run the vacuum...

Posted on: 2010/12/21 23:42

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I furl useing a different method. I use the loop setup and a drill for my leaders. I have a jig for 8,10, and 12 footers right now.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 19:26

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com