Landing Nets

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Do u guys use mesh, rubber or anything else?

Seem to get hooks hooked onto mesh decent amt of time when landing. Wondering if any of u gents use a different material and the positives and/or negative ...

I started with mesh and then switched to rubber but now I can't catch bugs on the water or in the air very well. Might switch back to mesh.

Rubber solves that problem pretty effectively. You'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative I think

Stag,

The rubber net is a bit heavier but it solves the issue of flies getting snagged in the netting. Changed several years back and don't think I'll ever go back to the old style. I think it's easier on the skin of the fish as well. Strongly urge you to check them out.

Lol Krey ... when i finally purchased a net last year 1st thing that popped in my mind (per rubber) was "heavier/bulkier" and I passed. Mesh is getting annoying and ystrday might be the last of it for me trying to un-hook a fish along with the net. Kept it in the H20, finally got both un-hooked and got em on there way but annoying ...

had the same problem as you with mesh, esp. dropper flies were a real pain. Bought a cheapie net with white/clear rubber and flies don't get stuck in it. Also it doesn't hold water like mesh - just shake it and it's pretty dry.

Been using Brodin Ghost and absolutely love it. No hook issues at all!!!

When I was at the Somerset show I wanted to purchase the Nomad Hand Net (Fishpond owns them). It was only discounted $10...to a price of $105. Sexy Carbon Fiber in Camo Finish.

It is for wade fishing.
http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/nomad-hand-net/223

I have posted a number of pictures of the mesh style Frabill nets I have been using for years, neither of them have replacement nets offered. They cost $22-26. The mesh deteriorates and rips. I also fish with spin gear and plugs...which get hung up very easily in the mesh...to the point of cutting the net when a fish barrel rolls like crazy. This mess the fish's skin up and ruins the net. If I could find a large clear rubber replacement net, I would put it on one of these frabill net frames I already have (cheapest solution).

Frabill Rectangle 9x 20"
http://frabill.com/landing-nets/trout-nets/3670.html

Frabill Steelhead 20x23" teardrop
http://frabill.com/landing-nets/specialty-nets/3674-1.html

That Nomad is a very cool looking net!!!

I think I have a spare frabill rubber net bag. The frame got smashed to bits when the bank I was standing on caved and sent me tumbling into the EB. No tear in the waders...rod was intact but I was sore and scuffed up. If I can find it, I'll give it to you ........after you put me on one of those pigs. ;-)

Hey night stalker - check out Jann's netcraft - i think they have replacement rubber bags, at least they did a year ago. hope it helps.

I use a mesh net, but am thinking of making the switch to rubber because of the whole fly, hook, tangle, mess I have been known to get into. Even with barbless hooks at times I get all messed up in the mesh.

Looked at the nomad nets as well. They are pretty much the net i have been looking for. I am just torn if I want the hand net or the mid length net.

I went to rubber after only a handful of trips with my mesh net. I hate having to damage a fly, rip the net and/or prolong fish release due to a hooked fish getting snagged in mesh. Rubber all the way from here on out.

Those nomad nets are sweet but steep. Maybe someday but not likely. :)

Depending on the net you have, some have replacement bags. I know that measure net has the rubber bag that you can buy for around $20 and replace your mesh bag.
Bill

I also have a brodin ghost net. I love it to death, very sturdy and no tangles ever except when you get those stupid fish who like to barrel roll in the net. The only thing I dont like about the rubber bag is when you try to take pics with the fish, the net usually doesnt stay down when you put the fish on top like a mesh net does. Otherwise, great idea.

Krayfish,
Falling on a carbon fiber net frame would most likely puncture waders and your guts if it would shatter. I wonder what kind of abuse they can handle?

Does anybody have a wood net in a similar size to the nomad previously described, that they recommend that is also not as expensive. I imagine there are a lot of them. The carbon fiber must be much lighter.

Krayfish,
Falling on a carbon fiber net frame would most likely puncture waders and your guts if it would shatter. I wonder what kind of abuse they can handle?

Does anybody have a wood net in a similar size to the nomad previously described, that they recommend that is also not as expensive. I imagine there are a lot of them. The carbon fiber must be much lighter.

I am another fan of the Brodin Ghost nets.

The netting is lighter than the cheaper rubber nets. I carry quite a large one and I don't think it really weighs much. There are inserts of fine mesh that you can buy so you can sample nymphs or catch flying insects. Actually, you could probably fashion your own.

I know the Brodins are expensive but I don't think you would have to buy a net again as it should last you a lifetime of fishing unless you have a freak accident or lose it.

I believe that they sell them as replacement bags if you have a net similar in size to one of the Brodin models.

Paint strainers at Home Depot or Lowe's are cheap for sampling. Just slip it over your net hoop. I think they're 2 dollars for a pair.

Back