LL Bean Silver Ghost Fly Rod

AnW

AnW

I know everyone get's sick of questions about new rods this time of year, but I was in LL Bean today and gave a 9' 4wt Silver Ghost the wiggle test. I really liked how it felt and also how it looks. Anyone have one or has used one? What are your thoughts?

I just had a co-worker put the new llbean fly fishing catalog on my desk today and saw that rod. I also was going to ask about it. My nut on my reel seat is stuck on the threading and no amount of wd-40 has gotten it off yet so I might be in the market for a new rod. This is probably out of my price range but still curious.

Ryan, sounds like your reel seat is cross threaded somehow. I just don't see any reel seat produced in the last 30 years being stuck due to corrosion, especially since you haven't fished in saltwater. you might want to try a set of channel lock pliers and GENTLY try to get the nut to move. maybe put a couple wraps of duct tape on the nut to keep from scratching the nut with the pliers.
sorry to hijack the bean rod thread.

spray it with P.B blaster penetrating oil a few times then try it

I love LL Bean's stuff. Some is obviously better than others but with their no questions ask return policy there is no risk purchasing and seeing what you think.

AnW wrote:
I know everyone get's sick of questions about new rods this time of year, but I was in LL Bean today and gave a 9' 4wt Silver Ghost the wiggle test. I really liked how it felt and also how it looks. Anyone have one or has used one? What are your thoughts?

I'll be able to answer in a couple of weeks. I should have the 4wt by April 16th.

There is a casting pond behind the parking lot to the rear of the store, and they'll gladly rig up a rod and reel for you to try.

Thanks Heritage. Next time I have some more time on my hands I may do some test casting with it.

In general, I am pretty impressed with most of LL Bean's newer gear. I think my next set of wading boots will either be the River Treads or the Grey Ghost model.

Any idea of who's making the blanks for the Silver Ghost?

I believe someone told me the LL line is Redington/Sage?

I've got a real hankering to try the 7wt switch, but then it comes back to not needing it in the slightest...

gfen wrote:
I've got a real hankering to try the 7wt switch, but then it comes back to not needing it in the slightest...

And this stops the rest of us from buying fly fishing stuff because??? :-D

Point made, but I like to pretend to be responsible up until the wallet is drawn. :)

I hear ya, I need another rod like I need another hole in the head, but this one really caught my eye. Usually when this happens, the rod costs 6 or 7 bills and it's a lot easier to resist. These are around $300 - still alot, but the time in the doghouse would be a lot shorter. Then again, I bought the better half a Dyson a month ago, so it is my turn ...

AnW wrote:
In general, I am pretty impressed with most of LL Bean's newer gear. I think my next set of wading boots will either be the River Treads or the Grey Ghost model.

Smooth move. I just don't understand why someone would spend big bucks on a pair of boots, and have them wear out in two seasons. Repeat.....

When you buy a pair of boots from da Bean, you'll have quality boots until you're too embarassed to send them back. ;-)
I absolutely LOVE my River Treads - both studded, and non-studded aquastealth.

gfen - I'll find out who makes the blanks for the Ghost when I start work again, but I'd suspect Sage/Redington. Right now, I have a gap in 4wts - nothing between an 8'6" and my new 9'9". I feel so.......naked.
533.gif

Gfen, I just got a 7wt switch rod......I didnt need it but boy Im I sure happy I got it....Lehigh and huge streamers should be fun!

AnW wrote:
These are around $300 - still alot, but the time in the doghouse would be a lot shorter.

Shame that you made this choice now, this past weekend they had a 20% off on all their branded fishing gear.

Alpabuck wrote:
Gfen, I just got a 7wt switch rod......I didnt need it but boy Im I sure happy I got it....Lehigh and huge streamers should be fun!

Does it say Helios on it? ;)

I've got a handle to convert my 10' 5wt to a two hander, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It Might...lol that rod is awesome....a 10' 5wt sounds nice to though!

Back