LL Bean Fly rods

hunter1

hunter1

Who makes LL Bean fly rods. Are they any good. I have Sage and Thomas & Thomas rods. I'm thinking LL.Bean for the next rod because of the price. Sage is getting Way out there in Price. Any one use them.

I have heard Redington makes their rods. My boys started out on Quest II outfits, which are a great rod for the money. IMHO you can't go wrong with any product offered by them.

I don't know who makes their rods..

I do know:

1) Every product I've ever bought from Bean's has given me my money's worth and then some in terms of both quality and performance.

2) My new favorite medium stream rod is a Bean's "Pocket Water" 7' 10" for a 5 weight. It (for me anyway..) casts like a dream and flexes clear down into the butt section. Nice and slow... Makes me feel like it's 1978 again. I like that.

Bean's sells good stuff, IMHO. And they back it up. I've never had any qualms about trying something new from them.

RLeep2 wrote:
I don't know who makes their rods..

I do know:

1) Every product I've ever bought from Bean's has given me my money's worth and then some in terms of both quality and performance.

2) My new favorite medium stream rod is a Bean's "Pocket Water" 7' 10" for a 5 weight. It (for me anyway..) casts like a dream and flexes clear down into the butt section. Nice and slow... Makes me feel like it's 1978 again. I like that.

Bean's sells good stuff, IMHO. And they back it up. I've never had any qualms about trying something new from them.

+ 1. If they do sell any bad products, they are gone from the inventory and in the clearance very quickly. Basically, if people give bad feedback or return too many, that product is quickly gone...

100% return policy on waders even...

They may have a 100% guarantee, but their waders are junk. I've been through probably 8 pairs in 6 months. My buddies both have different model waders with the same experience. They will just keep replacing em but it becomes a PIA when your wet all the time in winter. And every week when you have to send em back. I'm warning you now!

Not sure about their rods, but I agree that their waders are horrible! I wouldn't even keep a pair for backups. Went through multiple pairs that they replaced for me then I just had enough and bought Simms prolly 5 years ago and no problem since. Most mid level/ price range rods are perfectly fine for the average caster.

Have had the 180 degree opposite experience with their waders. FWIW. 3 years leak free out of a pair of $160 (bought them on sale) Kennebecs. Probably 100ish outings. Can't beat that IMO. I was so satisfied with them, I bought another pair!

I have a Streamlight Ultra as a Brookie rod. I like it. Middle of the road med/fast and a good value for rods in the $100ish range.

Are you guys buying the flyweights or something because I fish a lot, sometimes 100 trips a year, and my Emergers last at least 3 years. I just like the fit better than the Kennebecs, which I also had last a long time for the money. I order a replacement in the mail, it arrives in 2-3 days free shipping, and I take the leakers back to a retail store at my leisure...

I have 3 bought over the years. My DBL L (double L) from 1997 9 ft. 5 wt that I still use along with my Orvis Helios. I'm a good caster and know what's what about fly rods and Bean's has some good ones. I used to work as a casting instructor for them and we used the 8.5 ft 6 wt StreamLights. They were good, but just a bit weighty back then. They are better now. Back in the 90's many blanks were made by Loomis. I think my DBL L was.

Syl

I BOUGHT A BEAN "ANGLER" ROD (100 BUCKS) WHEN I LIVED IN IDAHO 9' 5-6WT. USED TO FISH 200+ DAYS A YEAR OUT THERE. USED IT REGULARLY UNTIL I BOUGHT A 4PC ROD THAT IS MY REGULAR ROD THESE DAYS. MY SON NOW USES THE BEAN ROD AND IT DOES VERY WELL FOR WFF5WT AND DTF6WT LINES, DEPENDING ONWHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE. I BROKE IT ONCE ON A RATHER LARGE SMALLIE AT CAMP. THEY SENT ME A BRAND NEW ROD. PROBABLY 10 OR 15 YEARS AFTER THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE.

Sounds good. I think I'll try Bean's.

Back