Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: L.L. Bean fly rods?

From Suburban Pittsburgh
You can't go wrong with LL Bean IMHO. I don't know much about their rods, but what I can tell you is that their customer service is second to none. I had a backpack that I'd used for 5 years, had a tear along the zipper in the mesh. They told me to send it back and they ended up sending me out a brand new one!

Now I'm using the West Branch waders and absolutely love them. Great purchase with the unconditional LL Bean guarantee. Almost impossible to beat LL Bean as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 2007/5/7 0:05

From Media, PA
While I can't comment on the short rods; I have fished an LL Bean Streamlight travel rod for the last couple of seasons. It is an 8.5', 4 piece, that is extremely light. I would call it mediun fast action. A fun rod to fish, it came with a nice reel on rod case, and cost less than 150$. Had it out today and was schooling some local stockers on a small stream. It was hot and breezy, and they were hitting ants with authority. I only broke off one and I was fishing 7X. (on a vicious hit) A good casting, user- friendly rod in my opinion. Right now it is fitted with a DT-5, and seems to be a fine match. Have fished bigger water with it, and 50-60' is not a problem.

Posted on: 2007/5/16 22:44

From Pen Argyl, PA.
van cleaver, thanks for the reply, the streamlites just really seem like a great deal and they offer quite a number of lengths and wts and ofcourse the outfit being complete with the rod on reel case and ofcourse the warranty
i'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the rod, out there schooling local stockers, lol, i would like to pick up a 3 or 4 wt and 7' or shorter but who knows, i gotta say that i am getting better at my casting with my 9' 5wt tfo rod, so we'll see
thanks
chris

Posted on: 2007/5/19 13:04

From Lehigh Valley
Hi Chris - Recently, I had a chance to cast one of the new Streamlights, and I have to say I was most impressed with the rod. It has a nice medium fast action that leans more to the medium side, but still has enough backbone to throw a lot of line. One of the nicest rollcasting rods I've ever cast as well. The hardware is good quality, with nice cork. The finish on the rod is first rate, and the cosmetics of it look surprisingly like the colors of the Sage XP series. It isn't an XP, but at a fraction of the cost, it's a heck of a deal on a very nice rod.
Just FYI - the Center Valley LL Bean is offering Walk-On Adventures for fly casting beginning May 26th. The cost is $15, and you get a 10% discount on select gear and apparel during your next visit to the store. Not sure, but I think the rods used for the casting instruction are Streamlights.........Ed

Posted on: 2007/5/19 19:54

From Chester County, PA
Fish and Fly magazine just did a review of both budget and premium 5wt rods and the LL Bean $69 special kicked some serious butt. The reviewers rated it very, very high, making it by far the best value for the money. They did have some problems with the no-frills reel seat and locking hardware which they predicted would have your reel plunging into the drink in no time flat. I'm going to pick one up to use as my "trunk rod" which I yank out of the car when I suddenly discover promising public water. The LL Bean rods seem perfect for this kind of use.

Also, the assessment that small rods are useless is nonsense. I just snapped a tip of my 9' a few days ago trying to fish the headwaters of Buck Run in Chester County which is about as shrubby as you can get. I should have invested in a 6' 3 weight a long time ago.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:08

From Pen Argyl, PA.
ginky,
thanks so much for the info, i looked up the website for that magazine but they didn't have a link for that article, my first fly rod was that $69 model which i upgraded to a tfo pro this year but those are 5 wts
i am interested in picking up a short 3wt as i want to start working on small stream fishing more so, i would like to stop depending on the state stocked streams and start working the class a's and so forth
i only started fly fishing last year but i've really taken to it, even if i'm not that good at it yet, lol, but seriously, i just seem to take to the long rod (even if i'm looking into a short one), today i was out on the delaware looking for bass but i just couldn't keep myself away from the mouth of a distant stream which flows into the river as i just kept picturing that trout might just be there and low and behold there were, i had the largest trout i've ever caught follow my salty spider when workin for bass so i switched it up to the worm and sinker and pulled in the biggest trout that i have ever landed, 22" rainbow, i just wish that 1. i had a camera, and 2, that i was workin the fly and not the spin, still exciting as all hell though
so what's your thoughts on the 5'9 versus the 6'6 bean streamlite 3wts
gotta love bean
thanks
chris

Posted on: 2007/5/26 20:17

From Chester County, PA
I think it depends on how tight the water is and how much brush you're dealing with. I think a 6'6" probably gives you enough power to chuck a big nymph or small streamer with some authority as well as presenting a dry fly like a puff of smoke. I think Bean is proving that cheap doesn't have to mean lousy. -- Incidentally, I have an Orvis 6wt streamline in my quiver for bass. -- This is an $89 rod and punches out very impressive power. Tossing big streamers well into a stillwater situation is very easy. 40-50 casts are effortless. ON the other hand, mending and changing directions can be done with a great deal of finesse. I've actually spoken with folks who prefer the streamline to the clearwater! Interesting!

Posted on: 2007/5/29 0:24

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com