Kold Kutters won't stay in wading boots...

3oh4

Went with the Kold Kutter screw for studs this spring. Every trip I put a new batch in and they fall out almost half a day in. They provide great traction too. The last batch I added gorilla glue to each screw and they still fell out.

Anyone have any tips for getting them to stay in?

Boots are a Simms Freestone.

Maybe up the thread size of the screws so they dont pull out easily.

Try coating the studs with epoxy before screwing in.
I'm going to try this the next time I install studs in my boots, might be issues down the road if they need replaced but I'm hoping they will stay in better.

Anyone ever done something similar?

Buy a pair of korkers :-D

Haha, I think the ship has sailed on that one for me.

buy Simms studs, they don't come out of my Guides boots until I take them out to replace.

I had to send my first pair of Simms G3s back due to the studs ripping out. I however blamed it no the Alumabite cleats. Those things are complete junk! So far my new G3s have only had one stud rip out of it. Sad though that $200 boots and anything falls apart on them or that you can't even get them with the cleats pre installed.

Rubber. Went through a 50 pack... thought I solved it by not putting it in the holes but they still fell out.

I removed my alumabites for some drift boat fishing. Reinstalled them with loctite. Just checked and none have come out so far.

What type of Loctite did you use?

I do know one thing the kold kutters are legit when they are in, I stick to the bottom. Tailwater season is just around the weekend for me and if I don't get this figured out I'm going to be on skates all summer.

Ideally a stud should just protrude a small bit past the sole material or you will not get any benefit from the sole itself. Studs that stick out too far also create multiple pressure points on the bottom of your foot which can make you feet sore & tired after awhile.

Part of you problem MAY be that the studs are sticking out to far and that is causing them to rip out. Glue won't do a dang thing except delay the inevitable, especially a glue that dries hard like epoxy.

Finding a recessed spot on the soles so the screw heads don't stick out as far may help but be warned that the screw MAY protrude into the inside of the shoe. That can be remedied by grinding off the points.

Making a recess with a Dremel is an option if you are willing. Finding studs with less threads per inch may also help because the bottom line is the threads cut the rubber and the more you cut it, the weaker the grip is.

Good luck!

fritz wrote:
I removed my alumabites for some drift boat fishing. Reinstalled them with loctite. Just checked and none have come out so far.

Those Alumabites literally fell out every single trip. I even installed them with windshield urethane. Every time I would look at the bottom of them I'd see another one missing. Also those Alumabites are horrible on smooth surfaces. I almost went into a hole that was over my head on Loyalsock because they wouldn't grip. It was like ice skates.

3oh4: If I were you I'd return them. I had mine replaced by Simms under warranty.

Big John, the Kold Kutters barely stick past the tread I think that is why they work so well when they are in. I don't think that is the issue. I was thinking maybe I needed a longer screw so it would penetrate up in the boot even more.

I mean I can take the boots back and get the same ones again and what would that solve? The star cleats used to fall out immediately on my Vapors too almost immediately. That is why I went the cheaper route this time around.

You can look on Loctite website, plug in your application and it gives you which one to use. I believe it recommends two for metal to rubber applications.

Big John, I actually like the alumabites. I fished prior to reinstalling them and missed them in the first few minutes. Did not realize they were so helpful. Smooth surfaces are nasty. I haven't found anything that works for them.

fritz wrote:
You can look on Loctite website, plug in your application and it gives you which one to use. I believe it recommends two for metal to rubber applications.

Big John, I actually like the alumabites. I fished prior to reinstalling them and missed them in the first few minutes. Did not realize they were so helpful. Smooth surfaces are nasty. I haven't found anything that works for them.

At least the carbide cleats attempt to dig into smooth surfaces. Those Alumabites won't even leave a scratch on the rock! I'll stick to the screw style carbide cleat. I still miss the boots with the cleats already installed.

I had no luck with alumabites

I have never had a stud come out of my Simms boots. I think they're half inch but when I spoke to the lady she said I was ordering what fishermen use. Could you be over tightening and reaming out the holes? I have a little palm ratcheting tool and stop on resistance. Given my experience this is a puzzler.

I went through 50 Kold Kutters. I bought some cheap sheet metal screws and haven't had one fall out. No clue why the KK's won't stay in.

I went through 50 Kold Kutters. I bought some cheap sheet metal screws and haven't had one fall out. No clue why the KK's won't stay in.

Back