Knee pads?

ineedsfish

ineedsfish

Do any of you on here wear knee pads over your waders I see more and more flyfishing shows on tv guys are wearing them. I guess Simms isn't in that line of gear yet so I assume the knee pads are from Lowes or home depot?

I've not done this but it's a good idea.

My hip boots have a pad built in but it's not much use. I'm not sure how well the pads would stay positioned while in current but if they don't move much, I think they'd be helpful for a lot of the small stream bass and trout fishing I do. When I was in the service, kneepro was standard stuff. I usually wore a pad only on my right knee as this was the one I used when "taking a knee." Much of the time, I just left it down at my ankle but could pull it up quickly when needed. Good idea for fishing. Thanks!

I bet volleyball knee pads would stay in place.

My waders have reinforced knees. But I watched a fly fishing show that was like a bass tournament, The contestants were fishing and running so hard to catch as many trout as they could. were tripping and falling on the rocks. These guys needed pads. I hope this is not the future of fly fishing. I'm surprised nobody got hurt. They were good fishers, But I like to stop and smell the roses, scenery, and fly fish.

ineedsfish wrote:
Do any of you on here wear knee pads over your waders I see more and more flyfishing shows on tv guys are wearing them. I guess Simms isn't in that line of gear yet so I assume the knee pads are from Lowes or home depot?

If I'm fishing a small stream with spooky fish, I have been known to put a set of knee pads in my pack and use them them when needed. I like the foam ones that don't absorb water. I can't remember where I bought them but they really work well.

Allot of comp guys use them I think they prefer the ones that you use for paintball. Plus they will extend the use of your waders when walking threw some nasty brush .

I enjoy mountain stream fishing, and have tried knee pads, but after wearing them a few times, I quit wearing them. Some other mountain stream fishermen I know had a similar experience.

They just didn't seem really necessary, and it's another piece of gear to deal with.

I use the foam gardeners' knee pads. They have elastic bands and are gree (FWIW). They are cheap and last for years.

I think I got them at Home Depo or Lowes, but it's been a long time.

I think they help preserve my hippers/waders and (big bonus for me) they are a lot more comfortable than kneeling on rocks!

fredrick- i dont have experience with tournament fly fishing. But I can tell you playing for a NPPL paintball team, and being the one diving around all the time. Paintball knee pads would be the best bet, the new pads are gel reinforced and conform to your knees and will absorb the worst shocks you can throw at it. They are also built to wick away moisture that is actually really efficient.

When fishing skinny water, I wear knee pads. My waders took a beating in the summer. I have been using Orvis knee pads that I purchased several years ago. They are likely neoprene with velcro closure in the back. For many reasons, I would like to find a better pair.

I would think that the small knee pads for volleyball would be great to use UNDER your waders. Not too bulky and can still give the comfort you need.

I would probably only use them on small streams where I'm crouching and kneeling a lot.

good idea though.

Mushumatt what paintball team do you play for? And I second his notion paintball knee pads are what u want if you want them. I used to play for dc arsenal recently retired to fly fishing.

I'm going to try these. Someone on another site uses these, suggested them:

http://www.harborfreight.com/super-flexible-knee-pads-46697.html

Idratherbephishing- Oh wow, I used to play for A+ FBM factory, played a season for WVU, and started and still playing for Philly Notorious, James S and the crew. I wish Dels was still around, you remember chris P played for arsenal kidz?

In one of his books, John Gierach mentioned using roofer's knee pads.

I like the idea of the paintball pads, too.

Not sure I know chris p feel like I should. Yea played alot at dels and the old graveyard/ crims. Had some good years.

Idratherbephishin....the best forward player to ever play the game!!! I should know I use to be the one shooting over his head.

I'm going to get a pair for small stream fishing. Especially for those little brookie streams. I wouldn't consider buying a pair from a brand like orvis or simms they would want an arm and leg for them. I would imagine home depot would have some fair priced ones that would last a few seasons.

I use a pair of pads made by orvis,found them in the discount bin at Flyfishers Paradise many years ago. And they were priced to go too. After the first pair of waders lost the knee in them,and a series of well or not so well placed rocks to the knees I decided to start looking for them. On brookie streams I'm on my knees more often than not so it seemed like a good idea,they do tend to move around more than I'd like but I'm in construction ( renovation) and knee pads are a friend to me ( older knees, tore my knee up playing soccer,then later helped that along jumping in the 82nd). Do they save your waders and knees wear and tear? yes. Are they a pita sometimes? yep. They sure are comfy when they stay put. Whatever kind,style you get consider how well the material they are made of will dry out and how getting wet and drying out over and over will effect them.

These are the knee/shin guards I have been using for the last 2 years. They are comfortable and stay on pretty well even in swift water. The shin guard component is worth its weight in gold especially when clumsy like myself. I know about 20 other anglers that wear the same model.

http://www.galls.com/style-TE964-general_catalog-damascus-imperial-neoprene-knee-and-shin-guards-with-reinforced-non-slip-trion-x-pads;jsessionid=E577BDA2EECD43318A46AB5F5C188DA6

Back