Kayak/SUP question

A

AndyP

Really 3 questions ....
Do you have to register your kayak with the PFBC before using it at any state park ?
Can it be done online ?
Last one .... Do stand up paddle boards need to be registered?

Thank you for any input and stay cool today !! Gonna be a hot one !

I know that you will need launch permit for both

It can be done online, but it may not be the best option depending on how quickly you need the sticker. There are plenty of places where you can purchase them. Their website will have a list of places that sell them.

AndyP wrote:
Really 3 questions ....
Do you have to register your kayak with the PFBC before using it at any state park ?
Can it be done online ?
Last one .... Do stand up paddle boards need to be registered?

Thank you for any input and stay cool today !! Gonna be a hot one !

Yes, you will need to register your yaks (or purchase launch permits) to use a state park or PFBC boat ramp and yes this can be done online.

I don't know about paddle boards.

You only need to register your kayak or any other form of boat if you plan on using a motor on it . But if you decide to register it I don't believe you need to purchase a launch permit from the state .

Fredrick wrote:
You only need to register your kayak or any other form of boat if you plan on using a motor on it . But if you decide to register it I don't believe you need to purchase a launch permit from the state .

I was told by a park ranger @ canoe creek state park that you need to register kayaks / canoes prior to using in the lake.

Can anyone else confirm / deny this?

I've been registering kayaks for the past 5 years, would be nice to know if that's not even necessary.

According to this a paddle board doesn't need a launch permit but a kayak does. As far as registering it says 14' and above .http://www.fishandboat.com/LearningCenter/FAQs/Pages/BoatRegistrationTitling.aspx

You need just one of three things. The choice is yours.
1) state park permit
2) fish commission launch permit
3) state boat registration (the numbers on the hull)

cost and duration of the various options are all the same. Same rules apply to SUP.

I registered my kayak as a non-motorized vessel which put the craft with hull numbers on file in case it ever went missing (or was found without me in it). Non-motorized registration was the same cost as a launch permit.
Both registration and launch permit would meet the require if you're using a PFBC property or launch site.
I don't know the rules for state parks, but could only assume they would satisfy the requirements as well.

As stated before it can be done online if you're willing to wait for the snail mail, but if I recall correctly your printed receipt will allow you to launch right away. You can also look online for the locations that can sell the sticker to your immediately.

Kayaks and canoes need launch permits if they are launched at PAFBC ramps.

"UNPOWERED BOATS
Unpowered boats are boats without motors such as certain kayaks, canoes, rowboats, sailboats, rafts or inflatable boats. Unpowered boats are not required to be registered – unless used at a Fish & Boat Commission access area or lake, or at Pennsylvania state parks and state forests; or required by the owner.

Commission access areas
DCNR listing of PA state parks
Register or title a boat in PA
Another option for unpowered boats (only) is a Use (Boat Launch) Permit from the Fish & Boat Commission, or a Launch or Mooring Permit from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of State Parks.

Permits can also be purchased online using a credit card at The Outdoor Shop (choose Products, then Boat Permits)."

Buy launch permit here: https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

LAUNCH PERMIT FEES
Unpowered boats only.
1 year ?$10
2 years ?$18

Thank you for the suggestions and input. I was camping since Friday and therefore "unplugged" ! I will get a launch permit and go from there.

FYI. My kayak launch permit stickers fell off and were lost the first time out. Nonsense!

Make sure you dont have any oils or such on the haul my stickers have lasted years with no issues and i fully registered my yak to use in other state waters launch permits are not legal in other states.

Back