Inserts for wading boots

salmonoid

salmonoid

I have a pair of Korkers Outfitters Convertible wading boots that I took on a fishing/backpacking trip last weekend. I had fished with them on several trips, and while they weren't as comfy as some shoes I own, they are wading boots, after all, so I didn't think anything of it. Well, with a 40 pound pack on, my feet hurt, badly, wearing these boots, and after taking a closer look, it appears they have next to zero arch support. So while the convertible hiking soles are nice for hoofing it out, the boots overall come at the expense of sore feet. So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried using inserts in their wading boots. In particular, I'm looking for something that will hold up to a season of neglect (wet/dry cycles) and that won't adversely degrade after getting wet a few times. Anyone recommend a particular brand of foot inserts to use, given the above criteria?

I put a pair of the gel insoles in my Chotas to take up space when I wear thin socks or none at all. In the winter, they come out to make room for thick socks.

I wouldn't worry so much about them being immersible - most materials are foam and plastic or metal and should be fine. I've been wearing the gel insoles all summer with no problems.

I tried some of the cheaper foam inserts in my wading shoes while wading wet. (The foam took up the space that the neoprene booty took when using waders.) They didn't hold up very well. Certainly not a full summer.

I think more than taking up the space left over by not wearing the neoprene booty, He is more concerned about sore feet.

Try going to a drug store and pick up some cheap orthotics. They are a plastic insert that will keep your instep firm. And they will take up space.

I've wet waded with my Korkers several times. I have this very heavy pair of wool socks that I pull up to the knee. It keeps the brush off my legs and helps with the boot filler needed to keep them from blistering my feet. I've not experienced the sore feet yet.

Wearing neoprene socks with your regular wading boots are the ticket for wet wading. Also, I use lightweight, fast drying long fishing pants. Not as stylish as Mo's knee socks and Bermuda shorts, but quite effective. Cheerio!

afishinado wrote:
Wearing neoprene socks with your regular wading boots are the ticket for wet wading. Also, I use lightweight, fast drying long fishing pants. Not as stylish as Mo's knee socks and Bermuda shorts, but quite effective. Cheerio!

Bermuda shorts hell.... Its a Speedo for me!

Maurice wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Bermuda shorts hell.... Its a Speedo for me!

I get this mental image of the Times Square Naked Cowboy fly fishing. Ugghhhh Bring back the cold weather.

I've never used orthotics so can't help with that.

But as someone said neoprene socks fill the extra space nicely for wet wading. I strongly recommend not wearing shorts, except maybe for wading the Susque or other big rivers. One reason is nettles. But the more important reason is those little ticks that are giving people Lyme disease.

As someone said, wear long fishing pants of the quick drying type. Tuck the pants into your socks so the ticks can't crawl up your leg.

Good ideas.

Back