In search of a good net

wetnet

wetnet

I would love a good light weight aluminum net. We have a $9.99 special we got from Dicks which is prety good but the basket isn't deep enough. We purchased one through Cabelas and the basket is nice and deep but maybe a little too much. Other than tying a knot in the bottom of that one does anyone have some favorites. I've seen some wooden beauties but they all seem heavy and I have enough weight on my pack already. Keep in mind I've been told girls can't net. I'm ALMOST sold on this comment so the more help netting flipper the better.

I don't know if they are still available but far and away the best and most practical net I ever found are the ones that you twist and fold and fit into a holster about hand sized.
This can go on your wader belt or the straps that tighten the waders.Put it on upside down and swish-instant net[instanet-the name,Ibelieve] but never in the way.Really great-no hassle,no getting caught.

google up insta-net
Sunbury Pa.location
Get the leather pouch
$30
Absolutely the best net for wade fishermen[or women].

I have a rubber replacement net bag from these folks http://www.themeasurenet.com/products.htm.

I like the rubber bag because it doesn't snag hooks, twigs, and briars like a plain nylon bag does. The side benefit is you can tell how long your fish is at a glance.

I don't have one of the their net handles, but they look to be lightweight and practical. These are not works of art, but if you are like me you are looking more for a tool than a Picasso. I give them four stars!

Thanks something I've never heard of. I have such a hassle trying to rehook up my net by the magnet, a hip holster sounds like the ticket. Even though I crimp my barbs those tiny pieces of jagged metal can still make me feel like crying when they get tangled in the mesh. OK once in awhile I get all frustrated and girlie. Rock to tree. Tree to rock back to tree. Hook in net. Those days really suck!!!!!! Thanks!!!

I have a regular nylon Measure Net. It's pretty lightweight and never a bother. The only thing I don't like (about using any net) is because I don't wear a vest, I have my magnetic release attached to one of the back strap buckles on my waders, so the net hangs lower than normal. It's also hard to attach the magnet ring to the net frame. I think I may have to resort to a wire tie. But I love the net!

And Wetnet, who told you girls can't net and why? What's THAT about?

well of course those of us who watch the flyfishing shows know the correct procedure for netting a six inch or better trout is;
Have your personal Gillie,who is never more than two feet away,do the honors with a long handled salmon/flounder net,while you giggle and remark``big un''.
Since not many females work as personal Gillies thats probably why they have bad reps..Maybe not-lol

well of course those of us who watch the flyfishing shows know the correct procedure for netting a six inch or better trout is;
Don't forget the part about not letting it get down stream from you and break your 10 lb. tippet. Your netter has to go out into the middle of the stream and net it while you still have 30 feet of fly line out.

my kids love the measure net...........

onemorecast wrote:
I have a regular nylon Measure Net. It's pretty lightweight and never a bother. The only thing I don't like (about using any net) is because I don't wear a vest, I have my magnetic release attached to one of the back strap buckles on my waders, so the net hangs lower than normal. It's also hard to attach the magnet ring to the net frame. I think I may have to resort to a wire tie. But I love the net!

And Wetnet, who told you girls can't net and why? What's THAT about?

The magnet is my problem too. I'm going to try to offset the zip tie from the center to the top corner and see if that helps.

About girls can't net. I don't really believe it. It's a joke between my son and me mostly. He said I'm so worried about being gentle and doing it quick that I sabotash myself in the process. I have gotten tons better but did have a problem with bringing in too much line in the beginning and had quite the scene a few times with fish everywhere but near my net.

Like everything I hope to get better but never really worry about being perfect. I absolutely love this sport. I wish I had learned it sooner.

wetnet - Don't feel bad about having difficulty netting fish - our own Team USA would have medaled if they were better at netting fish. They also didn't all have good nets for what they were doing. Most teams had nets the size of a basketball hoop! They never missed. The Canadians used an aluminum framed net with a three foot long handle. While I was watching one of their kids net a fish, the fish was a bit too far away to reach. The kid pushed a button on the handle and the net instantly extended another 3 feet! Think automatic umbrella and you get the picture. I thought that was pretty cool. I asked the kid where he got the net, and he said the company was a sponsor of theirs (located in Canada).

I really like the looks of the insta-net, great idea! I usually don't use nets because I do a lot of walking, and they're just so cumbersome to carry, and I only occasionally catch a fish where the net would actually be needed. But that thing is pretty cool, I'm considering purchasing...

My only worry would be about the net material. Looks like cheap nylon, with a large mesh size, and knotted to me. Can someone who owns one tell me if thats true? If so, its not exactly a catch and release net. Would it be easy to snip the net material off and put on new material? If so, anyone know where you can buy net material without buying a whole net?

pcray,

I believe albatross's measure net might come as a separate basket, without the handle.

went through two insta-nets in 30 years in Montana-never had problems-netted many fish[Montana sized].

wetnet,
Judging by your forum name - one would think you've had lots of practice netting fish. :-D
Anyway, I think what type of net you use has a lot to do with application. I rarely trout fish from a boat. I'm a wader and I think longer and larger nets are better suited to boats (not everyone would agree - Vince Marinaro loved his huge, long handled net). Since I usually only net large fish that I wish to photograph, I prefer a net with a deeper bag. This allows me to hold a 20" fish in the net without bending his body too much and I can keep him in the water while I fumble with a camera. "Catch and release" type nets don't allow this. I prefer a smaller, wooden hoop with the deep bag. The smaller size hoop allows the net to sit comfortably on my back. I also like the fine mesh bag rather than the thicker, knoted rope type bag. I think the fine mesh may not be as tough on the fish's slime coating. An added plus is you can use a fine mesh bag for seining insects. I like to turn over rocks and see what I can catch and the fine mesh allows the net to double as a baitfish/insect seine.

I have a Brodin Ghost net.

Very light and beautiful to boot and the pvc plastic is fish and hook friendly.

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2
Really like the shape of that net! How deep is the basket? And most importantly how heavy..both in weight and wallet? Looks like a quality net. I'm about tapped out this year. Looking at a new reel and wading jacket for next year as well. I'll have to start 2 new topics so I can make my Christmas list!

I also have the Brodin Ghost. It works great, flies don't get stuck. It is not heavy in weight, but does cost around $100.

I thought as much. You don't always need to spend allot to get something that works well but there are always things depending on what you are looking for that fit the bill and are worth every penny. That basket seems like the perfect shape to me. If its deeper than most without being overboard I'd say it's a net worth checking out even if not in my budget at present.

The net is deep. I caught a 22" rainbow last night and it fit in the bag.

Back