Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Icy rod...

From Cambria County
Did a quick search and couldn't find anything posted about it. While out fishing on Saturday, my rod kept freezing up. The tip would freeze up enough that I couldn't even throw line. So every 5-10 minutes, I was cleaning the ice out. Any tips or products that combat the ice buildup?

Posted on: 2013/1/22 16:26

Re: Icy rod...

From Maytown, PA
Dip it in the water.
Should melt off.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 16:46

From Lancaster County
Quote:

caveman wrote:
Dip it in the water.
Should melt off.

If the air temp is cold enough, this is but a short term fix and the problem will present itself again quickly.

Tip 1: You can use petroleum jelly or WD-40 on the guides. That should help to inhibit the formation of ice. No idea what it might do to the viability of your fly line over time, though.

Tip 2: Find a warmer climate to fish in

Posted on: 2013/1/22 16:55

From NE OH
A couple of things to consider. Geo & I discussed this the other day.

1. Like Salmonid said, petrolatum, Chapstick, WD-40, Stanley's Ice-Off Paste...all help some. Try putting them on the guides the night before.

2. Remember, wet line going through the guides is what leads to the ice. So, challenge yourself to really work on flipping and roll casting the runs you are fishing. Try to limit the overhead casting as much as you can. You can learn to manage your line better with mending and lifting the rod up a little higher instead of pulling line through the guides as much. It take some practice, but once you get more efficient with it, you'll only be clearing the guides a couple of times an hour instead of every 3rd cast.

Don't give up on it. Winter fishing is the best!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 17:12

From Pittsburgh
What they said...

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:01

From Cambria County
Thanks guys. I've seen that ice off paste and figured somebody would have a "home remedy" for the ice build up. I thought about a lubricant like WD-40 on the eyes but worried what effects it could have on the fly line. I'll just work on my technique until warmer weather arrives. With the low of 2 tonight in my town, it's not looking good.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:19

From florida
Line and rod heater also known as the spring thaw. GG

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:53

From Lehigh Valley
When your rod ices up , just stick it in the water an move it in a small choppy motion believe it or not the ice will disappear for a while. We do this alot up on the Great Lakes tribs during the winter. All the other stuff won't fix the ice problem. I have however started out with Stanley's Ice Off Paste and that works for awhile.Chapstick also works to a lesser degree for a little while. The only thing that rids the ice is dipping the rod up to the stripping guides an doing a short chpping motion about 3-4 inches in repetitive motion careful not to break your rod tip.

Some guys will clean their lines with 303 protectant, some will clean with Armor All , as well as Greased Lightening. It helps to keep your lines clean.You still have to be carefu what you use to clean them i have had lines ruined inthe past. Just try the choppy thing.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:31

Tenkara.

No guides

No reel

No freeze up.

Or, crappie pole with indicator rig.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:09

From Mount Joy, PA
Tie flies.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com