I need new waders

Redfin

Redfin

First off let me say I have not bought waders for like 12yrs or longer. It's. It not because I don't fish. It's because the last pair of chest high breathable waders I got. I got from cableas.
They was the guide ones and man they are amazing! Best purchase I ever made.
So I am way out of the wader loop on what's new and out there.

The things are just amazing. I hike and walk through stuff and fish on my knees all the time and they have held up all these years of hard fishing. I fish allot. I still cannot believe they have help up so good for so long myself. Idk if they still make em this good or not?

But the seams are finally starting to get me damp. Not bad leak but damp and it's probably time to look.

I want good solid waders that are not crazy expensive. Bootie models and chest. Yeah I do need new boots too. So I need advice on these also. Thanks guys.

Dan Bailey Men's Lightweight Breathable Waders - love them - tough as nails for the right price.

Bruno wrote:
Dan Bailey Men's Lightweight Breathable Waders - love them - tough as nails for the right price.

I second that motion

I believe in boots, nobody can tell you what to get. We all have different feet and gaits and what works for one does not necessarily work for others.

I'd merely point out to get waders and THEN boots. Or together. But don't get boots first. Different waders have thinner or thicker booties. Wear your waders when trying on boots.

I've switched waders without switching boots, and it never turns out well. Suddenly the boots become too big, or small.

Thanks guys!
Those boots do look sharp. But I was looking at the sizing. I'm built like a hobbit.. 12 or so boot and only 5 10" the medium or large would be my size but for the bootie size I need to be like 6 3" lol

Get a pair of waders that have a good size selection. Having the waders fit you instead of a "one size fits most" makes a big difference on the seams (longevity) and comfort. That seems to be the biggest innovation through the years.

Personally I like Simms waders, but you had way better luck with Cabela's stuff than I ever did, so I'd say look for waders with good size ranges, features that fit your fishing, and are in your desired price range.

I too have a pair of Cabela guide waders. I couldn't even tell you how old they are, I've had them that long. Theyre still in pretty good shape but there is a pinhole somewhere in my left thigh...gotta try and use the alchohol trick to find it. Knock on wood, the seems are still good.

Ive thought about just getting a new pair of the cabela's guides...but skeptical they are of the same quality now.

When you're looking for boots make sure you check out the BOA lacing system if you're not familiar with it. Simms, Korkers and Orvis are the only brands that I know of that offer it but there are probably others. It makes taking them off and on so much easier!

I personally feel you get what you pay for. Simms hands down are the best waders on the market. Their G3s and up with the Gore-Tex are well worth the money. Boots I am not sold on. I had Orvis that were decent but still ended up returning them every other year for a new pair because they would fall apart. I ended up getting a pair of the Simms G3 boots and so far haven't been too pleased with them. First pair of the Simms boots I returned under warranty because the Alumabite cleats kept ripping out. Second pair I did not install the Alumabite cleats and added just their basic cleats. So far these are holding up. I kinda wish I would have tried Korkers.

Everybody has a POV. Here's mine..

I went through 5-6 pairs of the Cabela's waist highs (I don't wear full waders because: a) I fish very few places I would need than and b) I have no business anyway being in water deeper than my center of gravity..) over the course of 8-9 years and will never buy them again. I stuck with them because they were virtually free using Visa Club Points. On average, they lasted me about 3/4 of a season before beginning to leak and about 1 1/4 seasons with Aquaseal.

Three season ago, I bought a pair of Bean's Kennebec waist highs and so far, no leaks. I said to myself, "at last!". Then they stopped offering them this year. So, I don't know what my next pair of waders is going to be. Probably either Bailey's waist highs or Simms Guide Pants. I'll figure that out when the time comes.

So far as shoes, I'm pretty happy with my Korkers (I forget which model they are, but they're mid-range in price). They are 3 years old and holding up well. Virtually every other pair of wading shoes I've ever had (with the exception of the old Weinbrenners...) were at least 1/3 marine epoxy, aquaseal and gorilla glue by the time they were 3 years old. Korkers could make their studded felts last a little longer if they cared what I thought. I've gone through 2 sets so far. But all else considered, I can live with the way it is.

I don't like boa laces, but that doesn't mean anything. I also don't like 95% of the music made after 1980, believe social media is turning us into a nation of semi-literate bubbleheads, believe all telephones should be corded and attached to the wall and strongly dislike fast action fly rods.

Given all this, I'm not sure even I would pay any attention to what I think about boa laces...:)

Of the breathable waders I've had (LL Bean, Orvis Silver Sonics, and Simms G3) as far as quality I'd rank them 1. Simms, 2. Bean, 3. Orvis What I especially like about my G3s, is that they fit me better throughout. I'm 5"10" and have an athletic build, I drown in excess material in every other brand wader I've tried. They are probably the most custom as far as sizing options available.

I'll echo Pcray on the boots, find what you look for in foot comfort. I have a new fishing buddy who wears cheap tennis shoes with his waders. I'm really particular about footwear and am most comfortable in "minimalist" shoes that have no arch support, raised heel, no ankle support, and a wide toe box. So I may try it out myself. The tradeoff of not having cleats might be offset by having better proprioception, more surface contact, and less weight.

The newest version of the wading boot I've had and liked most (Patagonia ultralight), seems less comfortable and heavier than the previous gen.

I don't like boa laces, but that doesn't mean anything. I also don't like 95% of the music made after 1980, believe social media is turning us into a nation of semi-literate bubbleheads, believe all telephones should be corded and attached to the wall and strongly dislike fast action fly rods.

Given all this, I'm not sure even I would pay any attention to what I think about boa laces...:)

LOL. I agree 100% with you on the music. I like the BOA laces because as I get older and rounder it is getting more difficult to reach my boot laces.

RLeep2 wrote:
Everybody has a POV. Here's mine..

I laughed at this. I agree with most of it... and I'm a "millennial".

Sigh, I hate that term and I really hate being put in that group with those people.

Outta all the waders Ive had, the Simms G3s have fit the best. The Orvis Silversonics come in second. All the Cabelas stuff was met (1 size fits someone ok, but not well) But like all the waders Ive had, the G3s started to leak after about 6 months of hard use. I have yet to find a wader that'll stand up to real abuse - brush busting, climbing over rocks, falling down hills, ect.

I vote to keep patching your current ones until they are beyond fixable, they definitely dont make stuff like they used to.

steveo27 wrote:
Sigh, I hate that term and I really hate being put in that group with those people.

I agree, Steve. I used it because I wanted to show contrast with the "norm" of said group.

My Simms G3's leaked as well after about a year (~100 days) of briars, hiking, etc. But Simms made it right. They even sent me loner G3 waders so I could keep fishing.

I just got the ll bean kennebecs a few months ago, and I am really impressed with them. At the price point, I fell they are one of the better waders.

I'm surprised to not have seen at least one suggestion for Patagonia waders. Yes, they're expensive, but in my experience, you get what you pay for. I bought the Rio Gallegos waders when they first came out and got almost six years out of them before a small leak in one of the booties occurred. I tried to aquaseal the leak but wasn't successful. I sent them back to Patagonia with a letter noting that I've had them for a long time and merely wanted the boottie replaced, which I was willing to pay for. Four days later I received a call from a customer service rep who told me that my waders were too old and worn out to successfully run any tests on and that Patagonia was providing me with an almost $500 gift card to replace my waders. Certainly not necessarily what I asked for/wanted, but that's why I'll be a Patagonia wader customer for life. They stand behind their products. Ironclad Guarantee means something.not to mention their waders are awesome.

My experience is also that you get what you pay for. But no more, no less. Pay twice as much, and it'll last almost exactly twice as long. $$$ per hour of leak free fishing is about the same regardless of whether you are on the low, middle, or high end of the price scale.

I tried the Pataguccis on, but I'm afraid the extra fabric I was swimming in would catch in the current haha

Back