Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I need help, I guess?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, for ff related gifts from my non ff family, I've settled on asking for gift certificates from a certain place. FFP is usually what I specify, which is cool with me. It's easy for everyone, they do an excellent mail order business which means its easy for them to get the certificate mailed, and easy for me to order from a distance and get it shipped.

Sometimes Cabelas, but I'm just as likely to use that for hunting/shooting or clothes as I am FF stuff.

What I've learned is that for a non Fly fisher, it is impossible for them to understand your needs. You can specify an exact item. However, the stuff we want is usually only found a few specialty FF stores and they have no clue how to go about finding that. They're not gonna find it at Dick's or Walmart. And when they don't find it or find that it's kind of pricy, they substitute something else that they see as the same, but is in no way, shape or form the same to us.

I'm particular about my equipment. My tastes aren't necessarily expensive but they are specific. I'd rather do the shopping myself.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 10:27

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Just a thought, and largely a tangent off of pcray's post a bit...

Shopping for my gear is half the fun IMO, and yes, I am particular about my gear too. At least once a year, but often twice, I will take a whole day off of work, get up early and go to Cabelas in the morning. I'll spend several hours in the store, taking my time, just looking at stuff and enjoying the non-weekend crowds. I usually make a full lap of the fishing/fly fishing section first just looking before I put anything in my cart or basket.

So I usually like to ask for gift cards too...just tend to work out the best for all involved. My side of the family is fine giving/receiving gift cards, but they don't fly as well on my wife's side of the family. I tried to branch out a little this year and gave my wife the suggestion of a new small stream rod for Christmas this year. Granted...I sent her an email with the exact webpage of the model and specs I wanted, but still, I'm trying at least...

In your case, a gift card/certificate to wherever it is you buy your gear may be a good option though. You could suggest to your parents that you make a day of it...they go shopping with you for your gear, get lunch, etc. I'm sure they'd appreciate the day with their son and you'd get exactly what you want and get the satisfaction of picking it out yourself and using the gift card as you see fit.

Just my $.02 worth of perspective, but hope it helps a little. Let us know what you end up getting!

Posted on: 2011/10/31 10:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
My wife is VERY good with gifts. Her mantra is "a good gift is something the person wants but would never justify buying on their own." So she watches throughout the year at things I ogle (with no intention to buy). But she also understands my specific tastes, knows she can't understand all of the details and how they affect the gift, and lets me do the choosing.

Examples that I've gotten from her include my Dreamcatcher boo rod and the Richardson, among others.

In all cases, she took an in between approach, specifying what it was for but leaving the details to me. For instance, with the boo rod, she paid the maker, and in the box I recieved there was no rod. Instead, it was a hat, t-shirt, and a note from the maker explaining the situation and saying to meet with him to test various rods and discuss what I wanted him to make for me.

With the Richardson, it was a gift certificate to FFP, and she not only gave one to me, but got her parents to do the same, so a combined gift. She told me it was for a Richardson, so that's what I was to use it for. I was not permitted to use it for replacing waders or tying materials or anything boring like that. But the different models, number of trays, foam vs. compartments, brand of floatant I use, and all of those other little details were beyond her ability to make intelligent decisions for me, so I could go and choose all of that.

I ended up with EXACTLY what I had always wanted but could never justify, and exactly to my specific tastes.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 11:20

Sort of related.

But how are the 11ft versions of the CZN rod?

Posted on: 2011/10/31 11:35

From Southwest, Pa
wading jacket if you don't own one

discounted wicking material such as capilene 3 for cold months.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 13:12

-Art Lee

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Sort of related.

But how are the 11ft versions of the CZN rod?

Really, really long.

They have a soft tip to protect tippet, and help keep the fish on. Not as versatile as the 10' 4wt, IMO. I may wind up with one if I don't pick up a Greys Streamflex 11' 4wt. I REALLY like that one.

Some situations really bode well for an 11'er. More reach, and keeping line off the water are mighty handy at times.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 16:30

From Minglewood
The 11ft greys has a lot of tip sag and to me felt sloppy. The 10 ft is a beast though one of the better rods out there for sure.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 18:19

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

RowJimmy wrote:
The 11ft greys has a lot of tip sag and to me felt sloppy. The 10 ft is a beast though one of the better rods out there for sure.

It is that time of year, that I begin wanting one of these really bad.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 20:16

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Eastern PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

RowJimmy wrote:

It is that time of year, that I begin wanting one of these really bad.

Well hell, I have seen 15 come and go in the last year. Grab one on the way out. I have a 10' 4wt BIIIx you could buy cause it does 5% of things better than my 9' 4 wt BIIIx, and 95% of things worse.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 20:33

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I have been advised to hold off on the Greys 10fter till someone buys their 11ft. Told I would get a pretty sweet deal on it. A 10ft BIIIx is going to be a little to much money for me, when I will only use it in the winter. Heck, that is the only time I know I will nymph 99% of the time.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 20:59

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Harrisburg
If you are getting into nymphing, may I suggest a wading staff? Unless you are fishing 4 ft wide streams that help out tons.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 7:24

From Hatfield, Pa.
Been watching this thread but waited to jump in ‘cause I did not want to hijack it. Anyway, I have a similar situation and would like some advice. It’s our 40th wedding anniversary and my better half is after me to decide what I want. Think I decided on a 10 foot , 4 weight and have been looking at the Orvis Helios but then HA mentioned how much he liked the Cabelas CZN and the Streamflex, someone else mentioned the Cortland Brook. I have a Cabelas 2 piece 9’ for 5 weight and really like it but it gets heavy by the end of the day and packs too long for my car.
Guess my questions are:
Will an extra foot make much difference in fishing ? I fish Penns, Spring, Breeches, Clarks, and Little Lehigh both wet and dry?

There is quite a bit of price difference between the Helios and the rest of the rods, is it worth the difference?
Thanks for your help,
Buffalo

Posted on: 2011/11/3 13:10

From SEPA
the 3wt 10' streamflex was an awful wet fly rod unless you're just calling nymphs wet flies and dreding bottom with them on a tight line, anyways.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 14:03

why do you dred the bottom?

Posted on: 2011/11/3 14:10

From Chester County
Buffalo,

I'm a broken record on here....cast before you buy! I have never cast a 10' rod that handles all types of fishing (dries, wets, streamers and nymph) as well as a 9' foot rod. A trout weight 10' rod is great for nymphing but often falls short on other types of fishing. From your post, it sounds like you are looking for a more all-purpose rod and not a specialty one. Hard to beat a 9' 5weight as an all-arounder.

Congrats on you anniversary and good luck with any rod you choose.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 7:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com