How to Make Fly Lines Last a Long Time

T

troutbert

In another thread, some people said they've had fly lines last a long time, even 10 years.

What tips do yinz have to prolong their life?

From my experience the end of the line gets very cracked within 1-2 seasons.

People talk about various methods of cleaning lines, and it makes sense that cleaning them allows them to shoot through better, but does cleaning actually prolong life? If so, how?

Smooth casts and no "cracking the whip".

troutbert wrote:
but does cleaning actually prolong life? If so, how?
Same reason why musicians change their strings often: the dirt and grime eventually changes the chemical makeup of the material.

Some of my friends I won't lend my instruments to unless they offer to change my strings for me, just because they'll kill a set of $15 strings in an hour because of their sweat chemistry.

I've been using the same method for decades, and my lines last for decades. They always lasted, even with heavy usage although now due to health reasons, usage isn't an issue. I always took care not to step on them or scar them on rocks.

After EACH use, I simply run the line through soft tissue (without extreme pressure) a few times and dress them with old Cortland line dressing. You would be surprised how dirty a line can get in short order.

I use dt lines and clean them pretty regularly. I flipped my 4 and 6wt lines around this year. I think I had two or 3 years of pretty heavy use on each. I like Cortland line, but I used an airflo ridge supple tactical trout (or something like that) line and it was pretty bulletproof as far as cracking. The line wasn't the best at floating though so I got rid of it.

Another way to keep lines lasting long is to have a lot of different rods and reels and use them all, but I guess that defeats the purpose of this thread which I'm assuming is to save some $$.

I was informed by someone in the line manufacturing business a few years ago that fly lines usually last 200 hrs. of fishing time. That individual also told me that those who claimed that the Cortland 444 peach lines lasted for years found this to be so only because their total fishing time over those five or more years totaled no more than 200 hours.

Outsider, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to hear that your attention to your fly lines has resulted in prolonged life. I'll readily admit to only rarely cleaning my lines. I know I should pay more attention to line care. If I would, perhaps I,too, would see longer line life.

OldLefty wrote:
I was informed by someone in the line manufacturing business a few years ago that fly lines usually last 200 hrs. of fishing time.

I hear the same story from string vendors at bluegrass festivals.

OldLefty wrote:
I was informed by someone in the line manufacturing business a few years ago that fly lines usually last 200 hrs. of fishing time. That individual also told me that those who claimed that the Cortland 444 peach lines lasted for years found this to be so only because their total fishing time over those five or more years totaled no more than 200 hours.

Outsider, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to hear that your attention to your fly lines has resulted in prolonged life. I'll readily admit to only rarely cleaning my lines. I know I should pay more attention to line care. If I would, perhaps I,too, would see longer line life.

No offense taken. I just can't understand how lines don't last these days. 200 hours? A lot of my lines have 10 times that and still look good. Maybe I can start a conspiracy theory: planned obsolescence.

I'll readily admit to only rarely cleaning my lines.

Since you admitted it, I'll admit it too. :)

If I really thought it would prolong the life of the line, I would do it.

But I haven't heard a good scientific explanation of why that would be. I don't see skin oils breaking down plastic line, or the water in the creeks.

The other thing is that I've read so much contradictory stuff about how to clean lines. Some cleaners supposedly actual cause more dirt to accumulate on the line, and some supposedly contain harsh chemicals that degrade the plastic.

So what to do?

Can't argue with my success, right? I'll continue on my path. And troutbert, if trout streams had purified water perhaps I could agree with your logic. You were looking for an answer, but question suggestions?

Like a lot of subjects discussed over the internet, i think the reality is that we all have a different idea of what dictates that a line is worn out. I suspect that what some would consider worn out are perfectly serviceable, and what others consider good condition are on their last legs.

OldLefty wrote:

Hours of usage has the most to do with how long a line holds up.
Fly line life equates to the life of tires on your car.....same for waders and boots, BTW. More mileage > more wear. Keep it in the garage and your tires will last a decade or more.

I have the same type of lines on several rods and fish and care for them all the same way. With the rod/line that I fish the most, the line doesn't make it through a second season. The same line on a rod I do not use as often lasts several seasons. I have a line on a backup rod that I use infrequently for over 10 years.

It doesn't hurt to keep it clean. Nothing fancy needed. Soak it in a bucket and run it through a soft cloth a few times.

200 hrs?

My avg time on the water is probably about 3hrs per outing...so the 200hrs is ~70 sessions, which is about how much I get out in a year. Then split those 70 days up between the 2wt, the 3wt, (3) 4wts, (3) 5wts and a 6wt and I'll easily get multiple years out of a single line, especially with a little TLC and decent storage.

Maybe should have elaborated about cracking the whip-happens when you start the backcast too soon,especially with heavily weighted streamers etc...ruin even top lines in less than a season ...been there done that many times...

afishinado wrote:

It doesn't hurt to keep it clean. Nothing fancy needed. Soak it in a bucket and run it through a soft cloth a few times.

With just water? Or do you add any soap, etc.?

Dang - must be time for me to change my lines. :-o

Then again, I'm tough on gear and use FF gear until it is really thread bare and don't worry about cracks in fly line, or scuffed up equipment.

If you use a fly line long enough, it gets enough cracks that it morphs into Sharkskin.

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Fishidiot wrote:
Dang - must be time for me to change my lines. :-o

Then again, I'm tough on gear and use FF gear until it is really thread bare and don't worry about cracks in fly line, or scuffed up equipment.

Me too...but I bought one at the Lancaster show from Ryan and now I can't find it.

My five weight line is so cracked on the end that it sinks pretty quick when fishing drys. I have to dress it all the time.

I am sure I put that line away somewhere I wouldn't forget...

But I haven't heard a good scientific explanation of why that would be. I don't see skin oils breaking down plastic line, or the water in the creeks.

Ok, here goes. Disclaimer: I don't know this to be true about fly lines specifically. But it is true for most plastics designed for the outdoors, and fly lines are plastic. It's the same principle which works on your car's finish (the paint/clearcoat is a plastic) as well as the headlight assemblies and so forth, plus plastic beverage containers, and any outdoor plastics, really. Your waders, as well.

Ok, so the enemy of plastics is UV light. Without any protection, plastics break down in UV very quickly. As in, minutes.

Now, when they make the plastic, the surface layer is impregnated with UV inhibitors. These don't actually block the light, but rather, chemically inhibit the chemical reaction which breaks down the plastic.

Now, dirt is very abrasive, and tends to wear away the top layer of the plastic, plus roughen the surface, which leads to more dirt, which leads to more abrasion. After those UV inhibitors on the surface are gone, it's game over. Your line will crack. Your clearcoat on your car's paint will fail (fade then peel). Your headlights will fog over. Your tippet will get kinda whitish and become more brittle. And your gatorade bottle will release all sorts of plastic contaminants into your drink (and eventually fail completely). Your waders will first leak and then just begin falling apart.

Cleaning a new line in good condition will keep that surface smooth, which will allow less dirt to attach, which will prolong it's life. Even better if the cleaner applies some sort of a wax, which prevents dirt and chemicals from sticking, and for any that does stick, becomes a sacrificial layer (you abrade the wax instead of the plastic underneath).

Want to prolong the life of the clearcoat on your car? Keep the car clean and wax/seal it periodically with the longest lasting sealant you can find. Sounds strange because it's UV that does the damage and you aren't actually blocking it. But the the UV inhibitors are in the plastic surface itself, and your job is to protect that surface. A surface coating is added to virtually all outdoor plastics.

The same applies to your fly line.

And note that maintenance will merely prevent PREMATURE failure. Eventually those inhibitors in the plastic, which are acting chemically, simply run out. Fly lines need replaced, cars need resprayed, headlights begin needing polished every few months, and waders weaken and fail. And you shouldn't drink that case of Gatorade that sat out in the sun for a year.

Makes sense.

And I guess this is the reason for recommendations for GENTLE cleaning, so as not to damage that surface layer.

Back