Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How many use clear rubber nets?

From West Chester
i have a mesh net and it's been frustrating me alot lately. i've been almost exclusively fishing a two-nymph rig for the past month and if i net a fish then i know i'm gonna be spending the next ten minutes trying to untangle my line and free my hooks from the net. its gotten to the point where i find myself losing fish at my feet because i'm hesitant to go for the net.

i think i'll be picking up a rubber in the near future.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 10:25

From Bozeman
Quote:

mystillwater wrote:
i have a mesh net and it's been frustrating me alot lately. i've been almost exclusively fishing a two-nymph rig for the past month and if i net a fish then i know i'm gonna be spending the next ten minutes trying to untangle my line and free my hooks from the net. its gotten to the point where i find myself losing fish at my feet because i'm hesitant to go for the net.

i think i'll be picking up a rubber in the near future.

Use barbless hooks. It saves fish and fingers anyway. It takes a second to smash the barb with hemos when you tie a fly on.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 10:41

From Lewistown
Second what Jay said.

I ran into the same problem as you a few years ago. I personally like to see the fish (admire) for a few seconds before the release. This is why I net most fish (not to mention it's a lot quicker to get them in and released).

I mash down the barbs and don't have to worry.

Also, if you forget before you hook a fish. Net it anyway and get tangled. release the fish and then, even though you are hooked in you net, mash down the barb and it will slide out.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 11:18

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
MKern wrote Quote:
Also, if you forget before you hook a fish. Net it anyway and get tangled. release the fish and then, even though you are hooked in you net, mash down the barb and it will slide out.

Good tip, thanks!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 14:51

From Pgh
I don't use a net, with one exception -- fishing the Yough River.

The water is often deep and swift. Positioning oneself for landing a fish without a net can be challenging and near impossible at times. Plus, the fish tend to be bigger there. The net I use is a throwback -- wooden handle with a cotton cord bag. Works fine. easier to detangle than those finer mesh bags. I've never seen a study that cord or nylon injures fish.... only talk.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 17:10

nets are good when dry fly fishing with 7x tippet , spring time ...really not needed

Posted on: 2010/4/29 22:07

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
If using a net, I use a clear rubber one. I seem to use it less and less, but I will never go back to a mesh one. No issues in hooking the netting with tandem rigs. I've even landed steelhead in my rubber net.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:20

From SEPA
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
You think you're thrify, I've been lugging a net around for years on a clip for a dog chain. I want to get a magnetic release for the net but can't justify spending 20-25 bucks for one. I think that I'm going to cave and get one. My buddy has had one for years and I've never seen him struggle to get his net like I do.

One of the smarter dumb things I've wasted my money on in this hobby.

I carry a net, and when I can't get them to throw the hook with slack, I always use it. Having it clipped on with a carabiner was almost impossible, and the shock cord routine soured me the first time I took a net to the back of the neck.

As for rubber bags, I'd buy one as they're supposed to be nicer than the soft mesh, but they weigh too much.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 20:56

From Gettysburg
Count me as a bit skeptical of the "fish can't see it" claim with regards to clear mesh nets. However, we've all had instances where a fish spooked just as we put the net in the water near it so maybe there's some validity to the claim. I build my own nets and would consider a soft plastic mesh however the ones I'm seeing aren't deep enough. I only net trout if I intend to photograph them (or kill them to eat). The deep mesh bag allows you to keep the fish in the water while fumbling to set up your camera etc. Shallow bags don't allow this as they must be held horizontally otherwise a fish (esp a big fish over 20") will simply flip out. Until rubber bags are available in deeper models I'll stick with mesh.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 8:30

Wow i never thought of clear rubber for taking pictures. My major problem with the mesh net is that the fly and the fish get hooked in it, and the chances of ruining the net and the fish is too high. I've never seen clear rubber nets. Where would I find one?

Posted on: 2010/5/9 22:46

2-10 net 30

Not much of a net user- but when I do it is a Brodin ghost. Stay thristy my friends.

Attach file:

jpg  This feels comfortable.jpg (975.59 KB)
772_4be8105dea55a.jpg 2765X2074 px

Posted on: 2010/5/10 9:55

From Monessen, PA
I don't use a net and probably injure and/or kill a fish now and again as a result. But, I usually fish well-known streams, so....

Posted on: 2010/5/10 14:05

From on elk creek fishing
I've been looking at nets for quite some time. Im looking for one that is light cheep and able to land a steelhead as I live up here in Erie County.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 20:12

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I don't use a net and probably injure and/or kill a fish now and again as a result. But, I usually fish well-known streams, so....

Barbarian!!...

IMO, seldom does it hurt not netting a fish. I only use a net on bigger water with bigger fish. Most times I can unhook a fish without even touching it or taking it out of the water by grabbing the fly with my fingers if it's exposed, or my hemostats, if it's hooked in the mouth and unhooking my barbless hook. That is always Plan A.

With a bigger fish (Plan B), I will net him, and while keeping the net in the water and unhook him as above. I only gently hold a fish (Plan C) if I run into difficulty removing the hook.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 9:16

From Pittsburgh
I carry a net on streams where I'm likely to catch big fish - such as the Delaware.

Sightnymph - I also didn't want to spend $25 on a magnetic release.
But I came across one that was only $17, at the Catskill Fly shop in Roscoe NY last month, and got it.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 10:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com