Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Holy wow - expensive waders!

I wasn't complaining about affording them. That's not a concern. I was just asking what I am getting for $1,000 over the Cabela's Dry Plus that I can continue to replace for free for as long as I fly fish.

Posted on: 10/20 9:25

From Chester County
Likley the foreign-made waders use cheaper materials and are not built as well and/or have less strict quality control. But the main difference between the manufacturing of the two products is cost of labor.

Manufacturing waders as well as rods and many other products are very labor intensive. Labor costs for American-made products are 10x, 20x or even 30x higher than products made offshore (Example below).

There are enough consumers out there willing and able to buy these American-made goods to keep these American companies in business and keep the American workers working.

In 1993 there were 19 wader manufacturers that made waders in the US now there is only one left. While the price of the waders listed seems excessive to me, not all their waders are that expensive. I'm glad we still have one remaining manufacturer of waders left in the States. Plus there are a hand full of companies that produce rods, reels and fly line in the US.

Attach file:

jpg  Wages China vs US.jpg (45.10 KB)
53_59ea071551363.jpg 592X352 px

Posted on: 10/20 10:24

I've worn Cabelas waist high waders exclusively for the past 6+ years. This year a small leak developed in a bootie seam, put some Aquaseal on and they were back in action.

About 5 years ago my wife wanted to fly fish. After 4 outings she called it quits. A stability issue. At that time I took her to Cabelas for waist highs. I wanted her to get the Cabelas but she didn't like the way they fit. So we bought Frogg Toggs waist highs. About a month or so ago I decided to get some use out of them. After 6 or so outings a leak developed in the right leg where the bootie is attached. The whole seam is coming apart. What a waste of money.

Posted on: 10/20 13:39

From Mechanicsburg
The superior quality is of importance to people who rely on gear like that for a living. Otherwise, every guide you'd see would be wearing Cabela's waders, and would need multiple pairs on rotation since they'd be taking a beating everyday.

Posted on: 10/20 17:43

From Greensburg, PA
the most dependable use i ever got out of a pair of waders and boots, based on number of trips, was a pair of Pro-line neoprene stocking foot waders and 20 dollar pair of boots. averaged about 200 fishing days a year for 4 years in Idaho. Brought them home to PA and within 6 months they basically dissolved. I think you buy what you can afford.

Posted on: 10/20 18:27

From Nowheresville, PA
Simms- Rip off junk
Patagonia- Yet another expensive lesson learned
Orvis- Used to like them but they are now getting crappy

I consider Orvis, Simms and Patagonia to be botique/designer crap. Overpriced junk. And in reality the customer service at the shops that sell this stuff and from the manufacturers is a joke. NEVER AGAIN!

LL Bean- Last and last. Best waders and best warranty hands down. Very reasonably priced.
Also bootfoot neoprenes for winter from Cabelas have been great.

Posted on: 10/24 19:58

From Clinton County, Pa.
I will stick with Simms gear. It is expensive but IMO well worth the money. I especially like their G3 Guide Boots.

Posted on: 10/24 21:35

From Mechanicsburg
Bad customer service isn't based on the product, but the seller. I had an issue with Patagonia boots that I purchased earlier this year, in which the black rubberized portions for dry rotting and cracking already. TCO offered for me to drop them off, and they'd send them back to Patagonia for me.

Even worse luck for me, I broke a rod that I purchased there last year. I have been unable to find my warranty card, but TCO pulled up my customer purchases from 2016, and provided me with proof of purchase. They also offered to ship the rod for me.

Posted on: 10/25 3:35

To summarize:

1000 bucks is a lot for waders

No matter what brand of waders are discussed, they are either the best waders around or they suck.

Posted on: 10/25 8:36

From SE Pa
Problem is when one pays close to a thousand bucks for waders they will never ever admit they suck or leak just as quick as a 200 dollar pair. It will always be "best waders I ever owned"

Posted on: 10/25 22:56

From Burke VA
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
To summarize:

1000 bucks is a lot for waders

No matter what brand of waders are discussed, they are either the best waders around or they suck.

One more thing all waders have in common, they leak.

Posted on: 10/25 23:40

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
One more thing all waders have in common, they leak.

Water is a worthy adversary.

Posted on: 10/26 5:55

From Other side of the tracks
I don't know. I think they would go well with my Yeti cooler.

Neoprene makes me look fat.

Posted on: 10/26 10:56

From Nicholson PA
Fly fishing and golf are both things that you can spend a huge amount of money on and not be very good.But you can look cool.

Posted on: 10/30 15:19

From Lancaster County
Quote:

NewSal wrote:
$1,900,000 for a car?

Koenigsegg Regera

And there's not even a zipper in the car door that you can pee out of, unlike the waders...

Posted on: 10/30 16:39

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com