Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Hip waders, really?

From Eastern PA
Meh 0

I agree waist waders. i mean if you are talking easy on/off they win.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 23:05

From Southwest, Pa
^ yup... I'll wet wade w. brush pants before you see me in hip boots... bean makes a fairly cheap pair:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50073?feat=1109-GN2

no doubt chest waders are a no for some spring creeks, but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

Posted on: 2011/2/9 6:17

-Art Lee

From harlansburg
I use hippers on certain creeks around me, I could probably just use some english "wellies" if I could find them anywhere. they are nothing more than tall rubber boots.
I use and love my waist highs also, I use them 95 percent of the time I fish. I rarely find the need to wade past my waist anymore, and they are very comfortable and cool to wear. one bonus of waist highs over hippers, no wet ass when sitting on a wet rock!
it's all in what ya like!

Posted on: 2011/2/9 7:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Rubber hippers are nice in that their good muck and brush boots, and something you don't have to baby.

Agree with biker, though. Crouch in knee deep water and I always get my butt wet, then wish I had waste highs at that moment.

Oh well, nothing's perfect! Advantages and disadvantages to everything...

Posted on: 2011/2/9 7:46

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Canvas type of hippers will help with snakes, I use and sell the frogg togg waders now. really nice and good prices.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 7:55

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Dick’s generally puts their rubber vulcanized hip boots in the bargain bin around June for about $20 bucks. I’ve bought 2 pairs and each pair lasted 2 seasons before the felt/rubber sole started to tear away. And I probably got well over 100 uses out of each of them. I bought the wader hanging hooks and simply rinse them down after each use and hang them upside down in the garage.

As JayL said, they are great for spring creeks and smaller stream and once you wear hip boots on a hot July day you’ll wonder why it took you so long to buy a pair.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 8:33

From harlansburg
biggest thing about storing any wader, especially ones with any type of rubber, keep away from sunlight!! do not hang near any windows. I keep mine in the darkest part of my basement.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 8:47

From SEPA
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
no doubt chest waders are a no for some spring creeks, but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

My lunch break is one hour. 15 minutes wasted in travel. 5 in setting up. That's 40 minutes to fish.

Hipboots would be easy on, easy off. Effortlessly slip into that 5 minute set up, anything else would take too long.

There's lots of time where I only get an hour or two to fish, why waste time setting up if its just a matter of slipping on hip boots?

I've been close to buying boot foot hippers alot recently, but i probably won't.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 8:49

From Montgomery County
you guys are missing the point. If I have more than an hour or two, I'll gladly wader up with stocking foot waisties or chesties. I wanted something around $20 that I could leave in the trunk all year and throw on after work if I'm driving by a stream.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 9:55

From Bozeman
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

Damn right. I was forged in SEPA stringer brigade country, and I don't hide it. Been wearing hippers since I learned to walk. I haven't had a pair in 6+ years, but I am feeling the need.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 10:13

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
for 30 more dollars you can be in bean's stocking foots with the guarantee.

Thats 2-3 times the price. The two products do exactly the same thing, and the rubber is likely to last longer if decent care is taken of them. Just sayin....

Posted on: 2011/2/9 10:27

From Mont Co, Pa
Cheap $40 Pro-Line hip waders get the job done for me. Anything more than hip waders on the wild streams I fish is overkill. They are fairly light, easy on/off, and inexpensive to replace. Because they WILL get sliced going through the thick stuff along the stream. It seems like I end up with a new pair almost every year.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 14:40

From Lewistown
I took and old pair of chest waders (when I upgraded) and stitched in elastic and straps for make my own hippers.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 15:27

From Southwest, Pa
Kern,

I did something like you..

and yea, I do get the point. They have their time and place. By May, I'm wet wading until October anyway, so it's really of no concern to me... just hope I don't ever get a nasty infection like I believe you did Jay? Was around for the thread, but don't exactly remember.

I can say that after reading that thread, I started wearing pants at least.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 0:05

-Art Lee

From Bozeman
It's healed. Still all kinda different colors, but healed. I got off meds last month, which was a life saver. They really tore my stomach up. I find out in march if I can stay off them. I have had enough of it, that's for sure.

Would not recommend.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 0:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com