Hip Boots

A

addictedangler

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pair of hip boots. I wear them alot and can not get one season before the leak. Usually the rubber starts to crack and one patch leads to two and so on. My best results has been when they get a new shipment in in the spring. Perhaps do to fresh rubber longer lasting. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to get a few years out of a pair of new boots. My breathable chest waders are never a problem.If this has been covered recently sorry I am new to the site.

I have the frogg toggs and they are great. 2 years now and not a leak or tear. tough as nails.

Booth, but boot foot.

Tony,
I have a pair of Dan Bailey's stocking foot and they have worked well. Have had them 5+ years.

Scott

Here's Cabela's page on hip boots.

Men's Hip Boots

Their rubber boots are over $100. Dick's has rubber for $40.

I prefer Hodgman hip boots but they stopped making their stocking foot so last year I got Cabela's brand waist-highs. They are nice.

If you go with Frog Toggs they have a great 1 year warranty, so if they do leak every year you can just get a new pair.

I have also had good luck with the Dan Bailey.

Thanks for all input. Warrantys are great but you have to send them back to the factory the sales agent will not take them . Cost for shipping and time lost is not good. I go through 2 or 3 pairs every year. As a kid we had heavy rubber ones. I used to trap and fish and would wear the bottoms out. Not any more. I even went on trapping and duck hunters sites with no luck.

Frogg Toggs you just return them to where you bought them:

http://www.froggtoggs.com/warrantypolicy

No need to send back... Just a thought

My experience with rubber hip boots is that they all leak eventually...usually quicker than you think they should. I go ultra cheap with the Dick's house line ones...you can get them for $30 in store before the Spring Trout opener. When they leak, throw em' away. I average about one year with them...but at only $30, I'd need to get 3+ years out of a $100 pair to break even. I've gotten more than a year out of a $100 pair, but never more than two.

It's usually just one boot that leaks first, so I'll keep the one that doesn't leak. If the opposite boot leaks first on the new pair, I reuse the old one for a while and get a little more mileage from them.

What about waist high stocking foot waders? I have simms freestone waist high waders I use all year long. Just had to replace my simms headwaters waist highs (put a good size hole in the ***, dont know how it happend) I know basspro has a 'white river' waist high waders. They are resonably priced an will last a more then a season depending how much you fish.

Ditto on the Dan Bailey's. Mine are at least 6-7 years old.

I am a hip boot guy,easy on easy off. Also one water pill a day and a pea like a pregnant women. I checked and it appears there is no one in the area caring frog togg hippers. I did have a pair of boot foot waders from frog toggs. Wore them about 10 or 15 times in salt water and they leaked but my warranty was up. Perhaps I will keep buying the $40.00 cheap oos.

Swattie87 wrote:
My experience with rubber hip boots is that they all leak eventually...usually quicker than you think they should. I go ultra cheap with the Dick's house line ones...you can get them for $30 in store before the Spring Trout opener. When they leak, throw em' away. I average about one year with them...but at only $30, I'd need to get 3+ years out of a $100 pair to break even. I've gotten more than a year out of a $100 pair, but never more than two.

It's usually just one boot that leaks first, so I'll keep the one that doesn't leak. If the opposite boot leaks first on the new pair, I reuse the old one for a while and get a little more mileage from them.

Me too.

I also use the dicks cheapie rubber hippers. I usually manage a couple years out of them - although likely with a few patches made.
And they are easy to repair with aqua seal

Back