Hip Boots vs. Waders

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
It seems that virtually all FFers these days wear waders.

Maybe I'm an old fart. I still wear a beat-to-heck old vest and a chest fly box from the 1980s. . . but I really like hip boots and am surprised most FFers these days don't use 'em.

I noticed again today when travelling around Breeches: out in the open water where traditional bait guys were fishin, most folks were in hip boots. In the reg water, even the guys fishing The Run wore waders. Many fly shops don't seem to have hip boots any more.
Frankly, for probably 90% of my PA stream trout fishing, I'm happier in HPs. I like my breathable waders for rivers or the beach, but have not put them on yet this year. HPs are just easier to get in and out of, are cooler, and cheaper to replace. Why folks insist on wearing big, clunky, expensive waders to fish little trout streams just doesn't make sense to me.

Sound off if you like hip waders!

Yo Dav

Maybe hippers are a codger thang? And hipster cotton to full dress waders? Hippers don't require ungearing when answering to the call of nature, neither to #1 or 2.

I think the hippers are worn by not-so-serious anglers like the first day crowd. They can be down right cheap compared to waders. Tuesday on Penn's I saw a guy that looked like he walked out of the Orvis catalog; his buddy was spin fishing and was wearing hippers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He was having fun, that's all that matters. I have a pair of Chota hippies that I wear for most of my fishing save for the larger streams.

I also like to wear hip boots when I can - usually just on smaller streams though
Several advantages IMO:
They are cooler for sure.
The ease of getting them on/off. No putting on wading boots and lacing them up.
On small brushy streams, I do NOT want to wear my expensive simms waders, and risk poking holes in them.
Rubber or canvas hippers definitely take more of a beating

dryflyguy wrote:
I also like to wear hip boots when I can - usually just on smaller streams though
Several advantages IMO:
They are cooler for sure.
The ease of getting them on/off. No putting on wading boots and lacing them up.
On small brushy streams, I do NOT want to wear my expensive simms waders, and risk poking holes in them.
Rubber or canvas hippers definitely take more of a beating

I use them for all of those reasons, plus you can take a leak without disrobing.

I wear hippers where ever it's practical to do so, and have for 50 years.

I'm considering waist highs for my next pair of boots.

I used to wear hippers, but I found that I often took on water, even on small streams. They just aren't high enough.

But it seems to me that waist highs should be OK for both small streams and larger ones. For those that have owned them, pros and cons?

I've used waist high for years on all waters, I don't wade deep, and the waist highs I've used could be pulled up a bit if needed when crossing a deep spot. That said, I've only bought cheaper ones, and only got about 2 years out of them. I needed waders last fall so I bought some simms chest highs, I've yet to use them as designed, I just roll down the top part to my waist and use the wading belt to hold them up.
I've been considering hippers, but then you run the risk of a wet *** if you like to sit on the banks or a rock to take a break, which I do often.
I'll probably pick up another set of cheap waist highs for brookie streams though, like dryflyguy, would like to keep the good waders good.
IF I bought hippers, I'd buy stocking foot so I could still use my wading boots, no way in hell I would want to walk 5 miles in rubber boots with my socks working their way off my feet the entire time, still have nightmares from when I was a kid, out playing in the snow, with those damn rubber boots on!!

troutbert wrote:

I used to wear hippers, but I found that I often took on water, even on small streams. They just aren't high enough.

But it seems to me that waist highs should be OK for both small streams and larger ones. For those that have owned them, pros and cons?

I have the same issue with hippers. Also, when fishing small streams I often kneel in the water and forget I have on hip boots :roll: and I end up "wet" wading that day.

You may want to consider convertible waders. I wear them for nearly all my wading. You are able to slide them down and wear as waist-highs, yet still be able to pull them up chest high for deeper wading when necessary. The waders I use have a waterproof pocket in front that's usable when folded down and is handy for carrying your camera or phone.

I've been using waist highs for quite some time and could use them for probably 80% of my fishing. I'm on my second waist highs after about ten years on my first. They were really beat up, gooped up, and just wore out. I used hip boots for many years and still keep a pair. I now favor waist highs over hip boots because I get better footing with a good pair of wading boots to accompany them. I do agree though that hip boots will take more punishment overall.

I have been using stocking foot hip boots for warm weather and small water. I use the stocking foot because I like to do a fair bit of walking and hiking and want the fit of laced up boots.

I don't like losing my flies...I'll often wade out and get them depending on the stream. Hip boots just wouldn't allow that! Also its hard to find a pair of hip boots these days that last more then a year or two. They always seem to crack. Hip boots for fishing brookie streams aren't a bad idea. If I see them being worn on larger streams I'm thinking the person isn't too serious.

Again - hip boots have their place.
They sure wouldn't do me for wading penns or the little j.
But for small water - where I rarely wade deeper than my knees - they work fine IMO.
I've even used them on spring creek during low flows there.

I do agree with big john though, about the quality of them lately.
I can't seem to find a pair that lasts longer than a year now.
The pro-line brand - which used to be OK - just don't seem to last at all anymore.
Last spring, I bought froggs toggs cascades. And they were OK all season.
But having just tried them for the first time this year, they cracked around knee area, and soaked me pretty good.

Maybe I need to try the stocking foot kind

I still have a pair. Used them regularly at first when I was just getting into stream fishing, but now the only time I really use them is when fishing on the beach in colder weather.

Comfort is the main issue. Traction a secondary one. Yeah, they’re good for small stream applications where you’re not wading past your knee…but you also generally do a lot of walking/hiking/climbing on small streams. For instance, the last two small streams outings I did, I walked a total 12 miles according to the GPS in my phone. That wouldn’t have been comfy on your feet in hippers IMO. Granted, a lot of wading boots are hard, inflexible, and not much better in the comfort department, albeit in a different way. I tend to buy wading boots that are more hiking oriented, though that generally comes with some in the water tradeoffs…traction mostly. Traction in rubber bootfoot hippers is junk, though rubber sole wading boots are only marginally better. Studs don’t work well for the kind of fishing I mostly do (small stream, lots of hiking), so I don’t use them, and suffer in bigger stream scenarios because of it. In reality, I probably should entertain the idea of a second pair of more traditional, studded wading boots for bigger streams.

The main advantage of hippers, as mentioned, is they’re cooler in the Summer time than waders. I tried waist high waders, but didn’t notice any appreciable difference in heat comfort over chest highs. I’m at the point that in Summer I’d rather wet wade with a pair of quick dry hiking pants and gaiters to the knee than wear any type of waders, especially on small streams where I’m only going knee deep most of the time.

I agree hippers have their place, depending on the kind of fishing you do, and hiking/wading scenarios you encounter. Generally though, they’re not the best option for me.

I think you see a lot of the early season only guys wearing them because they make sense for that type of angler…They’re relatively cheap. If you’re only going to be using them a handful of times per year, you’d be less apt to pay the premium for waders and wading boots than an avid FFer. If you fish 30+ times/year (like me) or more, a couple hundred dollars for waders doesn’t seem as bad. Also, hip boots are perfect for the type of angling that many of the early season only anglers do…not a ton of walking, maybe hopping around to a few different holes, but certainly not miles and miles of backcountry hiking. Fishing mostly from or near the bank, but maybe needing to get in the water a little bit more to land a fish or retrieve a snag. They definitely make sense in that regard.

I took an ole pair or chest waders and cut them down to hippers. My wife sewed the old shoulder straps as belt-loop straps.

I wear them on small streams and when it's hot out side.

I've been using waist highs almost exclusively until this year. Finally bought new chest waders when I found a good deal at the Lancaster show and been using them a lot during this first part of the season in the cooler temps and higher flows. I don't usually wade very deep, but I often found myself tip toeing to cross larger water like Penn's. The chest waders are much nicer on those larger streams. For the Breeches, Letort etc waist highs have been plenty and also much cooler during the warmer months.

I've also got some stocking foot hippers, but often like to take seat stream side or sit on my heels while trying to be stealthy, which means a wet arse, so they don't get used much anymore. also don't like the belt loops/straps, always seemed to be getting my line tangled up.

troutbert wrote:

I have not worn chest highs in years. First they are too HOT in warm weather and second I don't wade that deep, even on bigger water. I wear my Simms waist highs most of the time. When I fish small water I use my Frogg Toggs stocking foot hip boots. I bought them 3 years ago and they are wonderful for small water, very light, easy on and easy off. I like that I can wear my regular studded Simms wading boots with them. Try a pair I think you will like them. The same advantages apply to waist highs as opposed to chest waders. I have never felt the least bit at a disadvantage with waist highs.

The biggest problem with hippers for me are the boots. They're not comfortable and the soles are awful. I'm actually looking for a pair of stocking foot hip waders recently. Most are around $70 that I've seen.

Best of both worlds....fellas. Been wearing Convertible waders for the last 5 years or so.

Convertible waders

Attachments

• Convert to these....jpeg
    Convert to these....jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 4
WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have never felt the least bit at a disadvantage with waist highs.

I have been up to my nipples many times trying to reach that far bank riser-- I vote for chest waders, with the fold-down option if it gets too hot.

As has been said: "Why cross the water with line when your waders will do just fine?"

Hippers don't do it for me. Did it for a while. But even on small streams, I kneel and crouch. Nothing like crouching out of habit and ending up with a wet arse.

On big water, chest waders only. I'm frequently up to my stomach and pushing the limits.

On skinny water, waste highs would be fine. But just out a not wanting to buy more stuff I've always worn chest waders. Typically when my top pair of waders start developing minor leaks, they become my brush busters, and I get a new "good" pair.

This year I intend to do some wet wading too.

Back